Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Which B&W Hitch?

I am buying and installing a B&W Hitch next week at the B&W Factory in Kansas. I am wanting a clean bed with no rails.

I was wanting advice from you guys on which hitch to go with? I have a new 2018 Ford F350 short bed and a new 2018 3721RL Montana. I am selling my Pullrite Superglide after having a lot of problems with it and the distaste for having to be almost dead on straight when hooking up. I am a horrible back up driver. My brother in law has the B&W Companion Slider and I love it! I have gotten several opinions that I may not neccessarily need the slider. Can one of you B&W experts help me with this? I also have heard with the new Montanas you would probably never need the slider. I’m a newbie at this so would really appreciate your advice! Thanks!!

Companion Slider or Non Slider?

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Short bed --- I've always had a slider in a short bed. Only needed it 3 times in many years. One of those times I did not use it and the 2017 Montana kissed the cab leaving an $800 hickey. The B&W Patriot 18K is a dream to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Rangerj

Agree with CaptTurn nJohn. Rather have the slider and not need it, then need it and not have it. There will be times you'll need the extra turn space. My Sprinter has the Max Turn Tech. and I managed to bump the corner the first time I used it. The RV park was thoughtful enough to put a palm tree right in my back up area and it caused me to cut too sharp.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Bolo4u

Which B&W Hitch?

Do you have the factory 5th wheel prep and gooseneck already installed? If so, you need the BW turnover ball gooseneck installed. The BW slider will only work with their turnover ball as the ball has a square shank vs. the stock round shank. The companion slider also has a shank to cinch down and lock the entire assembly in place. If you don't want to go to the extreme and expense of having to remove the stock gooseneck assembly, and replace it; Demco offers an ISR frame that locks in place using the existing 5th wheel pucks. You can then install any ISR slider hitch to the frame. The Demco slider is very nice, and it's automatic, but it's very heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Do you have the factory 5th wheel prep and gooseneck already installed? If so, you need the BW turnover ball gooseneck installed. The BW slider will only work with their turnover ball as the ball has a square shank vs. the stock round shank. The companion slider also has a shank to cinch down and lock the entire assembly in place. If you don't want to go to the extreme and expense of having to remove the stock gooseneck assembly, and replace it; Demco offers an ISR frame that locks in place using the existing 5th wheel pucks. You can then install any ISR slider hitch to the frame. The Demco slider is very nice, and it's automatic, but it's very heavy.
If I’m looking at B&W’s web page correctly, they make the puck adapter Companion, both fixed and slider, so you don’t have to have the turnover ball.

http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/puck-mounted-attachment

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
If I’m looking at B&W’s web page correctly, they make the puck adapter Companion, both fixed and slider, so you don’t have to have the turnover ball.

http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/puck-mounted-attachment

I figured they did, I was going from memory. That's what the OP should get if he (she?) is looking for a slider and to keep their bed open when no hitch installed.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Mosnowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
I figured they did, I was going from memory. That's what the OP should get if he (she?) is looking for a slider and to keep their bed open when no hitch installed.

I hear you..unfortunately the truck I purchased did not have the puck system, so I believe I am going with the B&W underball..same result...flat bed.

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I hear you..unfortunately the truck I purchased did not have the puck system, so I believe I am going with the B&W underball..same result...flat bed.
Now that is what we have also. No slider on ours though since we have a long bed. I deliberately ordered our truck without the puck system because I knew we wanted the turnover ball and Companion. Hubby and I, personally, love it!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post

Exactly. BW make incredibly stout products. You could almost say they're overbuilt. The hitch I have is rated for like 30,000 pounds, and I don't know of any 5th wheel RV in that range. Their customer service is excellent. The current hitch (non-slider, Ram puck based I purchased used, once) I have started leaking from the little piston/shock under the head assembly. I called BW to order a new one and they shipped one to me for free, no questions asked. I also hear they're very community oriented and help out a lot where they're located.

I just wish they had an aluminum base to make install/removal a bit easier.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
Tinner12002

I thought it was interesting looking at B&Ws website that the Ram puck system nonslider hitch is the highest rated 5th wheel hitch they have, rated at 25K with all the others rated at 20K. I think it has a lot to do with the spread out base it has vs the Ford or GM bases.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #11
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I thought it was interesting looking at B&Ws website that the Ram puck system nonslider hitch is the highest rated 5th wheel hitch they have, rated at 25K with all the others rated at 20K. I think it has a lot to do with the spread out base it has vs the Ford or GM bases.

Possibly so. Also, the Ram puck system has the bosses bolted directly to the frame rails, thus it's a wider base. Whereas on the Ford the puck bosses are built into a subframe which then bolts to the vehicle frame, giving it a more narrow footprint

Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
gearhead

I just bought the PullRite Super Light Single Point. Similar in concept to Andersen. I haven't used it yet. It's steel vs. the Anderson aluminum. Weighs 80 pounds. I can grab it and throw up in the truck bed. It was a major hassle with the Curt with Ram legs...get the engine puller, pry bars, and rig on the hitch to remove it.
I would also recommend the B&W turnover ball with Industry Standard Rails adapter. It takes a bit to wiggle it out of the hole but you do have a clean bed.
I'm just trying to simplify my hitch so I can load the cabover without all the hitch work.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 AM   #13
nithaime

I started with the B&W hitch many years ago.I've installed four all on Ford F-350s https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-5th-wheel-hitch/ A very simple installation ... came to less than two hours. Its very easy to remove and nothing left in bed. It works so easily to hitching and unhitching. Even when you return to a spot and the truck is taken to the side, and the trailer is flat, it is very easy to unhook it. I have this setup now for almost 4 years and we have no problems. On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this subject, yesterday I watched one of them because my friend also asked for advice on choosing. Look, I hope that helps. Good luck
nithaime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch