Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
lunge motorsport

October trip

I will be traveling from the SF Bay Area to Austin Texas in October and will be interested in hearing any info you good folks may have in regards to routing and sites to visit along the way. I am a boondock type of camper but will occasionally stop for a really good shower.

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like a great trip. We have lots of Texans on here that will surely chime on soon with tons of info.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
gearhead

Be aware that Texas doesn't have millions of acres of public land like many other western states. Y'all wanted in the US bad enough to let us keep all the "open" land. So we gave most of it to the railroads as bribe money to lay tracks.
But we do have a lot of really good state parks. I was going to recommend Balmorhea State Park off I-10, but I see that the main draw, the huge spring fed swimming pool, is closed for repairs.
Jump in here and look around:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
B-O-B'03

In addition to great state parks we have Big Bend NP one of our favorite places.

In the 36+ years we have been going, we have never actually camped in the park, although there are 3 campgrounds, we usually camp outside the park and then drive in.

Big Bend Ranch SP is right up the road, but don't think there is much in the way of RV camping... the road in to the ranger station is 26 miles of dirt, but it is an amazing place and truly dark at night... great star viewing.

Davis Mountains SP is another of our faves.

The Caverns of Sonora are on your way too.

Lots to see and do in Texas, come on in.

-Brian
Old 07-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
travelin texans

The Texas hill country around Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg, Marble Falls is our favorite area of the state.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Taking I 10 I presume.

Lots of flat, open miles. Free open land for boondocking - forget that in TX pretty much; it's not like lots of states. It has some public/forest land but I doubt you will run into anything like your thinking unless you hang around a place a while. I've given up on it and I've been here decades.

At Tucson, if you're interested, there's the Saguaro National Park; it's pretty interesting. I never knew so many birds lived INSIDE them. Tombstone is right down the road (off the interstate). No boondocking but I believe there are some RV parks nearby. It's cool to see the cemetery with all the markers of all the folks you've read about over the years (refurbished of course) - and the history is neat too. And, as you stand out there you think....WHY would ANYONE come out here to live (as I'm sweating from my hair follicles to the soles of my feet)???

Las Cruces, NM. Not much there but if you find you have to stay, visit La Posta for a great Mexican meal. Then on to El Paso. I wouldn't spend the night there, but if you're inclined to run across the border to buy some cheap Mexican curios, you could stop and do that.....just be prepared to dodge bullets and wear a bullet proof vest.

I 10 to Balmorhea is pure W TX "nothing" unless you wanted to stop and venture off into some of the little towns that border Mexico so you can see what Juarez looks like on our side - I wouldn't recommend...but they do have some good breakfast burritos in some of the places. In Balmorhea there is a park that has a really nice spring, pool etc. that folks love to go scuba diving at. It's interesting but unless you are going to use it I've found that I don't visit it much anymore.

Going on, Ft. Stockton has the giant roadrunner so may want a picture of that...other than that... If you have to stay in Sonora there are some caverns nearby, but if it were me, I would continue on to Junction.

Junction is a pretty nice little place on the Llano river. There is a park there on the river and I don't recall if you can park an rv there but it's possible. If there stop by either Cooper's BBQ or Lum's - good TX BBQ; I prefer Lum's but Cooper's is good.

Then to Fredericksburg...a great place and have visited for decades. Nice town, nice folks, pretty country and great food. It is a small, but touristy, hill country town steeped in German heritage. I suppose I've eaten in every German restaurant there and they're all pretty good; might try the Auslander or Altdorf if you stay. And, if you stay in Fredericksburg or nearby, you might want to take the time to drop by Luckenbach...as in the song, Luckenbach, TX. Changed a lot from the 70's but the history is till interesting.

Johnson City - not much there at all but LBJ's ranch is right down the road and you can check that out if you are interested. I believe Lady Bird had some gardens. Check on that.

And then.....you're in Austin! I won't go into stuff in Austin cause there's a lot so you need to look into it. I will tell you traffic is terrible. The capitol is there and it's interesting if you like those sorts of things - been in it several time for various purposes and I like it every time.

So there, my long winded thoughts on your proposed trip. Sorry that it is so long but there's a "lot of stuff out there" and I know how hard it is to try to figure out what to see and what to do. Have a good time planning your trip and a good journey.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
gearhead

What are you driving on this trip?
There are very high speed limits in west Texas.
It will still be a bit warm in October.
Have fun...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
lunge motorsport

Thanks for all the input here and I still would appreciate more...
Sourdough, yes highway 10 is likely and thanks for the detail.
Gearhead, really appreciate your handle, I'm draggin the trailer around so I cruise at around 60.

Anyone been to the track and lot N?