Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #1
Halcyon

Temp monitors for dogs in trailer

We travel with 5 Shetland Sheepdogs , mostly to agility, herding, obedience and conformation trials and shows. However, we also take them where we like to go out to eat, sight see, etc. and leave them in the trailer, in crates, with the radio and AC on. We would like to be able to monitor the temp in the unit during those times.
What have you used, or seen used, and are there any caveats about them? Any particular makes that seem better for this purpose?
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
Raptor 429

Dog monitor and temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
We travel with 5 Shetland Sheepdogs , mostly to agility, herding, obedience and conformation trials and shows. However, we also take them where we like to go out to eat, sight see, etc. and leave them in the trailer, in crates, with the radio and AC on. We would like to be able to monitor the temp in the unit during those times.
What have you used, or seen used, and are there any caveats about them? Any particular makes that seem better for this purpose?
Any of the models using the "in Command" system are capable of monitoring all zone temperatures. The RV must be connected to wifi and your phone using the app must have wifi signal.

We use starlink but there are many options to achieve this. As a secondary precaution we also have Arlo cameras setup so we can log in live and check the dogs and even hit speaker and tell them to be quiet.

New tech available is both a marvel and a curse as you will find yourself monitoring your dogs while you should be enjoying dinner or a beautiful sunset. It works though and you get used to it I guess.

We love our three pups and they go everywhere with us.

Hope that helps
Raptor 429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:30 AM   #3
TXiceman

We full-timed for 10 years and use a cell phone-based power and temperature monitor by a company called Marcell. You buy the monitor and then it is a yearly subscription. You set the temperature limits and anytime they exceed set points or the power goes out it sends text messages to the phones that you program the numbers for.

Worked great for us. I did not trust the Wi-Fi based systems as Wi-Fi is so spotty in the campgrounds.

Ken
Old 07-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You could look into these;

https://www.microair.net/collections...c-replacements
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
markcee

I've used Waggle for the last 3 years. It's a dedicated monitoring device that operates off the Verizon network.

https://mywaggle.com/

Noticed on the website they currently are running a 50% off sale.

I did try the IN Command route, but found its connectivity to be pretty unreliable compared to Waggle. YMMV.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #6
notanlines

It probably goes without saying, but tell all your neighbors your information for emergencies, and have one of them do a check every now and then if you are familiar with them.
DW and I walk a beagle and a cocker spaniel for friends in the park when they are gone. (However, the odds of us having energy enough to walk five sheep dogs is slim and none)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:36 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

We have a Micro-Air EasyTouch thermostat that is internet connected to our own Verizon MiFi cellular hotspot. When/if we are out and about we can get temperature alerts and can also fully control the HVAC system. We also have a WeBoost and have never had an issue with cell service in the US or Canada. Our English Bulldogs are very heat sensitive, so the thermostat has been excellent source of peace of mind for us.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:35 PM   #8
TXiceman

My concern with the Wi-Fi based alarms is the reliability and access to decent Wi-Fi. We have found a cell phone-based system is better. With a weak cell signal, it can get a message out.

Ken
Old 07-31-2023, 09:29 AM   #9
dinmi

I purchased a Eufy security camera (Amazon I think it was $29) that also allows sound and two way communication. While it doesn't monitor temperature, I sat a thermometer near the camera and I can pan to check it. I do receive alerts to my phone about barking. At any time if we are away from the camper and didn't take them with us, I can check in and make sure that everything looks and sounds normal. I put the camera in a place that it can monitor the dog that tends to move around a lot in her crate. It notifies me when she stands up that there is movement. I connect to the camera and can check to make sure everything is OK. I can see that they are still comfortable, secure (I have one nicknamed Houdini the Mouth - she can spring a crate door if she puts her mind to it if we fail to double latch it and she starts the bark-fest). I can also make sure they are not throwing a party in the trailer for all the other dogs at the camp ground while we are away. What I like is it detects barking and issues a no bark command that I recorded. While telling them no bark in my voice it sends a notice to my phone allowing me to real time tell them to knock it off and stop barking. My husband didn't think it would work, but he got to tell me it was a good idea and he is shocked how well it works (I don't hear those words very often LOL!) I even set it up and use it at home for when we are away to keep them from barking constantly. It is the best $29.00 I have spent in a long time.
dinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
dinmi

Wi-Fi Solution that works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My concern with the Wi-Fi based alarms is the reliability and access to decent Wi-Fi. We have found a cell phone-based system is better. With a weak cell signal, it can get a message out.

Ken
Ken,
Check out a company named NOMAD. We have their CUBE and once I got through some burps on setup it works like a champ. We were looking at StarLink but we tend to like camp grounds that have tree canopies and that is a problem for StarLink and any of the other satellite based solution that require line of site.

There is something about NOMAD that I believe they manage to amplify their signal so there are fewer dead spots. The reviews are mixed if you go out and look. I have a background in cellular vehicle communications and networking so I know what the technology looks like. Once we got things worked out I am impressed. I also like that unlimited data is $129.00 per month and you can turn it off as needed so you aren't being charged if it is only used for travel. I am so happy with it that we are using it at home and terminating our cable service and relying strictly on the CUBE. Just for reference we have two cell phones connected for Wi-Fi calling and data access (so we don't go over our data plan), a TV using streaming and two computers running pretty much all the time during the day (and for mine I listen to Solfeggio music to help me sleep so it stream all night) and we have not experienced a significant slow down. Because it is cellular based if the network is saturated you will see some slower response but not often.

Oh and if you have children you can put the CUBE in the car and you have Wi-Fi in the car for the kids to play games, stream, whatever kids do beside look out the window at the scenery while traveling. I tested that as well in our truck while we were pulling to and from our destination and it worked well. I think two cell jumps where it had to reconnect but that was relatively short duration, same as your phone would experience.
dinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #11
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have one, and I like it a lot. I can monitor it from outside, or I can just look at it on my phone, while sitting in my chair. I can change the schedule on the Fly, or change the temp for the moment, while never having to be in front of it.. Overall, it gives me a lot of confidence if I have to step out onto the ranch.
I don't pay attention to it as much as I used to, because I've become confident that it's handling the situation.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #12
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Being completely off grid, I can tell you that I use a wireless router, and everything is connected through that router. I can hit my microair soft touch by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, or both. Connectivity is solid, and the Wi-Fi connection allows my cell phone to relay outside temperatures, for my local area, to the thermostat for info.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:22 AM   #13
luvmy5er

Bought a Waggle

I recently purchased a Waggle. It works off of the Verizon cell phone service so there is a subscription fee. I however feel that the fee is a small price to pay to protect our fur babies. They have all different settings that you can configure for alerts. So far I am really liking the purchase.
luvmy5er is offline   Reply With Quote