Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #1
Allturf

Florida on the water

Looking for a campground on the water in Florida for a two or 3 week stay this coming Feb. Have 39 Ft Fifth Wheel. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Allturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
notanlines

All turf, Florida has 1350 miles of coastline. Thousands more if you throw in rivers and lakes. We need a few limiting markers. Thanks.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
Allturf

Any coast keys are fine .
Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Badbart56

Pricey, but nice. I have not stayed here but I have spent time in Destin and they probably have the nicest beaches in Florida.

http://www.destinrvresort.com/rentals/

I'm partial to the northern Gulf Coast as I grew up here and there are other places that are more secluded if you want to get away from the bigger tourist areas.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...a/mexico-beach

Hope this helps, I think you'll enjoy your stay. I love Florida in the fall and winter months.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
travelin texans

You better decide quickly & get a reservation, maybe too late already for this coming season, Florida fills up fast.
One quick tip, be sure any metal on your rv/truck/bicycles has a good coat of paint, wax or sometime to protect it from the salty air or it will look like 50 years of rust in that few weeks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You better decide quickly & get a reservation, maybe too late already for this coming season, Florida fills up fast.
One quick tip, be sure any metal on your rv/truck/bicycles has a good coat of paint, wax or sometime to protect it from the salty air or it will look like 50 years of rust in that few weeks.
If you find a rusty car down here it is because it came from the snow and salt belt in the north. My truck has wintered on Gulf coast and summered at Jersey shore for 14 yrs with no signs of rust anywhere. Road salt is what kills them. JM2¢, Hank

To the OP, For a short stay under a month, you may have trouble finding a site. Most prime locations are booked for the season of three months +.
Good luck in your search, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
The salt spray isn't much of a problem on the Gulf Coast, unless there's a storm blowing. The Atlantic side is always a problem.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Allturf

Thanks for the feedback. Been trying Fort Desoto 6 Month advance but I'm not quite quick enough.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

We've spent the last several winters in FL (3-5 mos.) and no trouble with salt on the vehicle that I've seen, but, the finish on the trailer looked terrible. Before we left in April I looked at the top edges of the trailer and thought I had developed a terrible case of paint fade over the winter. Got it home and it's just a heavy film of salt?? Wouldn't wash off with soap and water, had to buff it out. I had always coated the trailer in 303 right before all the rest of the trips but on this one it had been about 4 months, in an enclosed building, but it apparently made a big difference....or there was some bad juju in the air...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you find a rusty car down here it is because it came from the snow and salt belt in the north. My truck has wintered on Gulf coast and summered at Jersey shore for 14 yrs with no signs of rust anywhere. Road salt is what kills them. JM2¢, Hank

To the OP, For a short stay under a month, you may have trouble finding a site. Most prime locations are booked for the season of three months +.
Good luck in your search, Hank
The 1st time we wintered there, Dade City, we had 2 new bicycles, when we left in March they looked 20 years old, spokes, wheels, chain all rusted up, every nick on the rv frame rusted, even the aluminum wheels were starting to tarnish & we have NEVER driven where they use road salt.
Didn't intend to offend you, but just a warning after our experiences.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
The 1st time we wintered there, Dade City, we had 2 new bicycles, when we left in March they looked 20 years old, spokes, wheels, chain all rusted up, every nick on the rv frame rusted, even the aluminum wheels were starting to tarnish & we have NEVER driven where they use road salt.
Didn't intend to offend you, but just a warning after our experiences.
It takes more than a difference of opinion to offend me. Maybe I live in a bubble or something, cause our bikes have been outside since the 80's with nothing but a plastic bag on the seats and have minimal rust. Must be good genes I guess. ....... Now UV damage to the front cap and south facing side of the Cougar is another story ..... decals gone in two years.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
SummitPond

Hanna Park is a City of Jacksonville Parks & Recreation property. It is on the Atlantic Ocean; the campgrounds are just inland from the beach; there are no sites on the water. The link has fees and a map.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Laredo Tugger

We were looking to do the same trip but found a lot of the coastal/beach properties full. You may have better luck with some inland campgrounds,but the reviews on several of those mentioned preferences given to full timers as far as breaking "the rules" of the campground, tight spots (that will not even let you put your awning out) and rude camp staff that have no problem evicting you without refund for complaint or small violations.
I'm sure this is not the norm and there are decent places to stay,but you are seeking prime seasonal real estate to camp in,so the expectation may change.

sourdough,you are maybe the third guy (or the same guy 3 times ) that has mentioned a coat of 303 for your camper, Are referring to the aerospace quality product that is similar to Armour-all ?
If I'm not mistaken that stuff is a bit pricey to coat the whole 5er,but if it works well and a bottle will go a lot farther than I expect,let me know.
You always have to be willing to learn on here.
Thanks.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
We were looking to do the same trip but found a lot of the coastal/beach properties full. You may have better luck with some inland campgrounds,but the reviews on several of those mentioned preferences given to full timers as far as breaking "the rules" of the campground, tight spots (that will not even let you put your awning out) and rude camp staff that have no problem evicting you without refund for complaint or small violations.
I'm sure this is not the norm and there are decent places to stay,but you are seeking prime seasonal real estate to camp in,so the expectation may change.

sourdough,you are maybe the third guy (or the same guy 3 times ) that has mentioned a coat of 303 for your camper, Are referring to the aerospace quality product that is similar to Armour-all ?
If I'm not mistaken that stuff is a bit pricey to coat the whole 5er,but if it works well and a bottle will go a lot farther than I expect,let me know.
You always have to be willing to learn on here.
Thanks.
RMc

I use it on the entire trailer and I think several others do as well so that's why you've seen so many mentions of it. It is a bit pricey if you're looking at the spray bottle or gallon, BUT, it goes a LONG way on the sides of the gelcoat. It also advises against overapplying so you just wipe it on/wipe it off. I let it sit for a few minutes if the area (decals) look a little "dry". A 32 oz. spray bottle will probably do the trailer (about 32-33' box) 2-3 times.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
66joej

I also use 303. Just don't leave it on too long otherwise it needs to be buffed off. Works great and has no petroleum distillates so won't hurt your decals. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
travelin texans

Sorry, didn't mean to steer the thread away from OP question.
There are a lot of nice places to winter in Florida, inland are less expensive & the farther south the more expensive. You need to get a reservation ASAP & as mentioned earlier it may be too late for this upcoming season.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
laidback

You can try Geronimo RV Park in Miramar Beach (Destin) they often have a couple of sites available.. Two blocks to the beach.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #18
GrumpyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allturf View Post
Looking for a campground on the water in Florida for a two or 3 week stay this coming Feb. Have 39 Ft Fifth Wheel. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Low Key HideAway in Cedar Key. https://www.lowkeyhideaway.info

Adults only so not good if you'll be traveling with kids. Small campground - (9 spots) plus they have a Tiki Bar on site.

Cedar Key is Old Florida - No fast food joints for 20 miles. But excellent restaurants.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #19
Jwiles58

Just got back from Fort Pickens Campground in Pensacola. Doesn’t have sewer drops but I was well pleased with site and proximity to beach. Had a great time and no issues. We made reservations in January for June camping. Less than 300 feet to the beach.
CURT Q20 w/Roller
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
Fredcook

Camp gulf has spots on the water. We are here now and will be thru the first. Any questions or want to know anything let me know. Very nice spot cg is great

Fred & Trisha
Evansville,IN
2018 SM3030BH
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Air lift 1000
Fredcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water