Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Craigidyllwild

Max PSI

Just a general question on tire pressure my tires say 80 pounds max PSI I put in 75 pounds and I'm calling it good is that the right thing to do? On my TV are usually go about 5 pounds under the max PSI

Thanks all. Oh and by the way when I picked it up from the dealer all the tires were at 50 PSI not happy about that
Craigidyllwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
rhagfo

I run the LT 235/85-16E's on our 32' Copper Canyon GVWR 12,360# 5er, about 9,500# on the tires, it is all about traction.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigidyllwild View Post
Just a general question on tire pressure my tires say 80 pounds max PSI I put in 75 pounds and I'm calling it good is that the right thing to do? On my TV are usually go about 5 pounds under the max PSI

Thanks all. Oh and by the way when I picked it up from the dealer all the tires were at 50 PSI not happy about that
It really doesn't matter what the pressure on the side of the tire says, other than to NOT inflate the tire over that psi. What does the sticker on the door post say for inflation? I've got an F250 with 275/70/18E (the size that came on the truck) and the door plaquard says to run 65 psi in the front and rear.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

That says COLD 80# PSI. Exactly where I run my rear tires and 70 front.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigidyllwild View Post

IMO fooling around with inflation pressures for RV trailer tires is asking for trouble.

If your trailer was delivered to the dealer with 50 psi they have most likely suffered permanent internal damage. Same prognosis if they set around at the dealer location with just 50 psi in them.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
It really doesn't matter what the pressure on the side of the tire says, other than to NOT inflate the tire over that psi. What does the sticker on the door post say for inflation? I've got an F250 with 275/70/18E (the size that came on the truck) and the door plaquard says to run 65 psi in the front and rear.
Tire inflation pressures for your tow vehicles have different requirements than RV trailer tires.

Your tow vehicle's tires inflation pressures were set to provide a percentage of load capacity reserves. Your trailer tires inflation pressures are not required to provide any reserve load capacity above GAWR. They should always be kept at vehicle manufacturer recommendations. Besides that, they are designed to be operated at full sidewall pressures.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tire inflation pressures for your tow vehicles have different requirements than RV trailer tires.

Your tow vehicle's tires inflation pressures were set to provide a percentage of load capacity reserves. Your trailer tires inflation pressures are not required to provide any reserve load capacity above GAWR. They should always be kept at vehicle manufacturer recommendations. Besides that, they are designed to be operated at full sidewall pressures.
When I posted that, I thought he was talking about his tow vehicle....maybe I misread his post.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 AM   #8
Desert185

Trailer tires always at max sidewall pressure (cold) as indicated on the tire sidewall, i.e. load range E at 80psi.

TV tires according to the tire sticker on door or door jam...with consideration for load.

Mine with LRE tires empty: 65 front; 50-55 rear. Towing 5er: 65 front; 80 rear. This provides even wear, good ride empty, load capacity while towing, proper traction and the best tire mileage.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
That says COLD 80# PSI. Exactly where I run my rear tires and 70 front.
5er tires at 80# when cold always

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Trailer tires always at max sidewall pressure (cold) as indicated on the tire sidewall, i.e. load range E at 80psi.

TV tires according to the tire sticker on door or door jam...with consideration for load.

Mine with LRE tires empty: 65 front; 50-55 rear. Towing 5er: 65 front; 80 rear. This provides even wear, good ride empty, load capacity while towing, proper traction and the best tire mileage.

^^^x2. Trailer tires at max sidewall pressure as indicated (80 psi on mine) and by the door sticker on the truck, with this exception; my truck sticker calls for 65 front and 80 rear (max) all the time. I run it this way towing the trailer. When empty I run 65 front and rear.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
talk2cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
5er tires at 80# when cold always
Is that at 40° F ambient (morning with no sun) or 75° F ambient also morning with no sun? It is a 4 to 5 pound difference. Also a 40° morning and up to 90 in the afternoon, could it cause an over inflated condition.

I am not going to fire up the generator and compressor every time a weather front moves through. If the tires were good yesterday and have not lost any air, they should be good today. Next week, a different story, I will adjust if needed.
Tom
Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
Is that at 40° F ambient (morning with no sun) or 75° F ambient also morning with no sun? It is a 4 to 5 pound difference. Also a 40° morning and up to 90 in the afternoon, could it cause an over inflated condition.

I am not going to fire up the generator and compressor every time a weather front moves through. If the tires were good yesterday and have not lost any air, they should be good today. Next week, a different story, I will adjust if needed.
Tom
Also depends on the altitude. Wherever you're at, first thing before starting out, tires as cold as they're likely to be that day, 80 psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post

Tom
When there big temperature swings, like the example you stated, (a 40 degree morning) and then it gets up to say 90 degrees in the afternoon, yes, that could cause an overinflation situation.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
When there big temperature swings, like the example you stated, (a 40 degree morning) and then it gets up to say 90 degrees in the afternoon, yes, that could cause an overinflation situation.
The new 2018 generic Keystone Owner's Manual recommends attending to your tire pressures anytime you suspect they may need adjustment and to do it as soon as you can get a valid cold reading.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Jeepshots

So we need to retrofit some HUMVEE autoinflation systems to our campers....
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Good one, Jeepshots. Maybe a continuous monitoring system, but what about at night, when you're sleeping??? Wouldn't that run down the battery and wouldn't the compressor wake up the baby? We've got enough "phantom drains" on the battery system already, adding more without having "solar and lunar charging" (that wouldn't be efficient use of that "night-time light).... OK, I know, and it was said "tongue in cheek".....

Now, Not directed at Jeepshots, but intended as a general comment, the reality is that even a "first semester engineering student" is taught that environmental conditions are always "engineered into the system". What that means is that the ambient temperature (cold inflation pressure) is expected to rise with use. That environmental rise, caused by tread friction, heat, loading, sidewall motion and a host of other "not usually considered" conditions is factored into the "operating pressure rise" of the tire. Every tire manufacturer considers this when designing a new tire for the market and it's a part of the testing process during pre-production tests and is followed closely after the tire is released to the public.

Every tire manufacturer has considered and accommodated the ambient/operational/environmental pressure increase in the design concept of the tires that are on any RV. Most tire manufacturers, somewhere in their literature have instructions that follow these guidelines:

1. Check tire pressure and adjust the "cold inflation" (which means before the trailer is towed, not before the sun hits the tire)
2. Do not bleed air from a tire that has been towed to "lower it to the recommended max pressure".
3. Do not adjust for altitude or temperature in a hot tire. A tire is considered "cold" after it has cooled for approximately 3 or 4 hours.
4. Expect about a 1 PSI increase for every additional 10 degrees F and about a 1 PSI decrease for every 10 degrees that the temperature falls. Understand that the latter, temperature decreases are more dangerous than the increases because underinflation leads to more potential for tire damage than slight overinflation (which is already factored into the tire design).
5. Monitoring tire pressure does not mean adjusting tire pressure as it will be constantly changing based on the above factors, all of which are a part of the design elements of the tire and are fully compensated for in the tire construction.

My thoughts, for what they're worth, tire pressure is something to consider and to stay "ahead of" but it's not "rocket science" and it doesn't require an extra-ordinary amount of time and thought during use. Just adjust pressure before the tires are "sun soaked" and monitor them frequently during use. No need to "overthink it and make it impossible to do".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
canesfan

OK, here's a thought I've had a time or two. The way my trailer sits in my yard one side gets sun most of the day and the other side never gets sun. The sun side tires are usually a few to several psi higher than the non-sun side. I have to go out around 6AM to check them if I want to avoid the sun heating the tires, usually not on my schedule. Otherwise I have to wait for the sun to go behind the trees 600 yards away and then wait for the tires to cool, which could be after dark. So if I air both sides to max sidewall psi when one side is hotter/higher than the other, pull out of my driveway, go down the road a bit, and the sun is in my face, behind me or it's shady, the once sun side tires are now several psi higher than the non-sun side tires because neither are "sun side" now. So now the once sun side tires have cooled off since I pulled out of the driveway and are now several psi "underinflated". Do I stop and put a few more psi in them???
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Or you might just put a piece of cardboard in front of the tires on the sunny side while having your "adult beverage" before bedtime and check the pressure after your second cup of coffee the next morning???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #19
Jeepshots

Or just run these...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #20
xrated

I probably tend to "over-think" tire pressure sometimes, partially because I'm somewhat anal about those kind of things, and partially because I spend a good deal of time getting precisely the correct air pressure settings for my track/racing motorcycle. The rear tire that I use is incredibly sensitive to the proper air pressure and if overinflated even 1 - 1.5 psi, it will start hot tearing and I will destroy a $200 tire in a matter of a day. I own a calibrated air pressure gauge that is guaranteed to be accurate to one half of one percent all the way to 60 psi. I also own a probe type pyrometer and take hot tire temperatures as soon as I exit the track, along with pressure readings

I just need to let that thought process go when it comes to trailer tires where a pound or two difference really isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.