Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: While towing, how do you operate your refrigerator?
I use propane 127 87.59%
I use electric 3 2.07%
I turn the refrigerator off during towing 7 4.83%
I have a domestic (electric only) refrigerator 8 5.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
jamtracy

Residential Refrigerator
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #22
Whitewolf

Yes. I leave it on Auto and let it do it's thing.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #23
marks146

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760 View Post
Just a question if i may
How many run propane for the fridge on the road
Just answer with YES or NO

Thanks
Richard
yes yes yes
marks146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #24
Gunny Mike

We start our fridge the day before we hook up and use propane until we return home. Keep it on all the way. I have my fake yeti under the kitchen table while traveling also. It doesn't move but I need to find away to strap it down in case I have an emergency situation. Then it might become a flying boulder that will take out my kitchen cabinets.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760 View Post
Just a question if i may
How many run propane for the fridge on the road
Just answer with YES or NO

Thanks
Richard
Previous TT was on AUTO all the time, new 5er is residential so all electric.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #26
skmct

yes!!! leave it in auto ( be sure gas is tuned on) You will want a cold drink after setting up
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #27
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
yes!!! leave it in auto ( be sure gas is tuned on) You will want a cold drink after setting up
Did you notice where I said current RV is a 5er and has a residential fridge so it is always cold with 7.68 Kwh of Lithium battery power it will stay that way for close to 5 days without being plugged in.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
Nagrompj

Yes where it’s allowed.
Nagrompj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
Todd 423

Yes, of course. Why wouldn't you?
Old 11-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #30
LenH

We use Propane
LenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #31
Pathfinder75

Yes on past RV's. Current unit has Electric Only Residential Refrig.

Dave, Kathy & Golden Retrievers Tucker & Andi
2017 Montana HC 353RL - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Morryde Stepabove Steps STP-4-30-03H -
Kodiak 8-Lug 13" Premier Disc Brake Conversion Kit
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB - B&W Companion w/OEM Ford puck.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #32
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I voted.

When we were shopping for trailers, we found that the rig we liked came with a second mini-fridge in an outdoor hatch. I thought this was a wonderful idea to keep drinks cold on the road without having to open the RV. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was AC only, no propane. I removed it and used the hatch for general storage.
We run the main inside refrigerator/freezer unit on propane when traveling. Depending on how long we will be on the road and the length of our trip, we often run the outside mini-fridge (ie: beer fridge) on an inverter to keep items handy and cold without having to deploy the main slide-out to access the inside fridge unless we are using the bathroom anyway
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #33
Halcyon

What do Y’all do when refueling? Keystone says to turn off the propane when refueling, due to fumes from the petrol. I haven’t ever run my fridge while driving, but I cool off the fridge before leaving, and pack several cool packs in both the freezer and fridge. Has worked for up to 8-9 hours and food is still “cool”. Switch cool packs from fridge to freezer when plugged in overnight, then switch back in the morning. Worked for 2 week trip in September from Colorado to Oregon and back.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #34
NH_Bulldog

I am sure someone somewhere knows a friend of a friend of their cousins girlfriend that had a neighbor that blew up at a gas station because their RV fridge was running at the time. The reality is that fuel vapors have to be within a tight range of concentration to support ignition from an unprotected flame within the right distance.

First; Petroleum fuel vapors (gasoline and propane) are heavier than air, so they are most common at ground level as opposed to 4-5 feet up where the fridge flame is located in a compartment behind a louver, a wind baffle and inside a metal “chimney”. Second; gas stations are equipped with vapor-recovery nozzles that work to prevent release of fuel vapors into the atmosphere when fueling a vehicle. Third; gas stations tend to be wide open areas exposed to free flow of air, where even the slightest breeze will disperse any escaped fuel vapors and prevent accumulation to the point where concentration of vapors would support combustion. Fourth; the flame for the fridge cycles on and off as needed, so even in the worst of worst case scenarios, the flame would have to be on to ignite any vapors.

People smoke at gas stations, people use their cellphones at gas stations, people fill gas cans in the trunk of their cars or the bed of their trucks, people overfill tanks and spill gas on the ground all the time, space debris can fall on your head, blah, blah, blah. Of all the things to worry about, turning off my fridge 1/2 mile from a gas station isn’t one of them.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #35
Halcyon

Thumbs up Great answer!

That is what I thought, but since this is our first mobile housing device, I deferred to the CYA notice of the manufacturer. I guess we’ll be traveling “cool” from now on! Thanks for the explanation.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
What do Y’all do when refueling? Keystone says to turn off the propane when refueling, due to fumes from the petrol. I haven’t ever run my fridge while driving, but I cool off the fridge before leaving, and pack several cool packs in both the freezer and fridge. Has worked for up to 8-9 hours and food is still “cool”. Switch cool packs from fridge to freezer when plugged in overnight, then switch back in the morning. Worked for 2 week trip in September from Colorado to Oregon and back.
When I was granted my private pilot's license the Cessna 172 operator's manual consisted of performance tables, weight and balance tables, and how to check the fuel for contamination, check the engine oil, etc. The whole book was maybe 15-16 pages. Then a teenager broke into an airport, broke into a Cessna, started it and crash and was killed at the end of the runway. The family sued because nowhere did it say you must be a licensed pilot to fly the plane. They won millions and now that same operator's manual is well over 50 pages with warnings throughout. The manufacturers typically get sued as they have the deeper pockets.

It's the same with a lot of the "warning, don't be an idiot" label's and disclaimers plastered about everywhere in life now. It's the "someone else it to blame" for the individual's lack of common sense. So when you read a manufacturer's "warning" they are often really "disclaimers" authored by corporate attorneys.

So how can you tell if it's truly a "don't do this because x WILL happen" VS "don't do this because x MAY happen, even if the odds are better of you getting struck by lightning while purchasing the winning lotto ticket while riding a unicorn bareback" ? Well if you don't have the knowledge or experience to make your own deductions then due the research. Asking the question here is a good start but remember your getting opinions as answers. If I had any doubts I'd look at NFPA.org, https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics/, or Google a question like "what causes gas station fires". I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find a gas station fire that was caused by the propane fridge.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #37
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

We do now.
When we first bought the trailer, we thought we had the premium propane/120vac/12vdc model.
We should have known, if it costs more, you won't get it unless it's a custom order.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I was granted my private pilot's license the Cessna 172 operator's manual consisted of performance tables, weight and balance tables, and how to check the fuel for contamination, check the engine oil, etc. The whole book was maybe 15-16 pages. Then a teenager broke into an airport, broke into a Cessna, started it and crash and was killed at the end of the runway. The family sued because nowhere did it say you must be a licensed pilot to fly the plane. They won millions and now that same operator's manual is well over 50 pages with warnings throughout. The manufacturers typically get sued as they have the deeper pockets.

It's the same with a lot of the "warning, don't be an idiot" label's and disclaimers plastered about everywhere in life now. It's the "someone else it to blame" for the individual's lack of common sense. So when you read a manufacturer's "warning" they are often really "disclaimers" authored by corporate attorneys.

So how can you tell if it's truly a "don't do this because x WILL happen" VS "don't do this because x MAY happen, even if the odds are better of you getting struck by lightning while purchasing the winning lotto ticket while riding a unicorn bareback" ? Well if you don't have the knowledge or experience to make your own deductions then due the research. Asking the question here is a good start but remember your getting opinions as answers. If I had any doubts I'd look at NFPA.org, https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics/, or Google a question like "what causes gas station fires". I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find a gas station fire that was caused by the propane fridge.

JMHO
So in following the OP request of yes or no response you are saying YES?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #39
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

OMG!!!
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #40
buzzcop63

Yes, no service station stops!

Tags
propane