Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Rall

Question Fifht wheel to Gooseneck adapter

Hi guys, somebody can tell me which gooseneck adapter is better? is good to drill to install it? or is better just to tight the bolts? tell me your experiences.
Rall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Reese “goose ball” is the way to go, and you simply use the same bolts that are used to attach the regular pin box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rall View Post
Hi guys, somebody can tell me which gooseneck adapter is better? is good to drill to install it? or is better just to tight the bolts? tell me your experiences.
Most folks with a gooseneck ball in the bed of their tow vehicle use Andersen Ultimate hitch. It is easy to install and even easier to remove if you need the truck bed for other stuff when not camping.
https://shop.andersenhitches.com/col...mate-5th-wheel
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
gearhead

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're asking. Try saying it a different way.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
jsb5717

IMHO I wouldn't use a gooseneck adapter that changes the torque point from the pin down to the bed of the truck. The Andersen Hitch is a better option as is the Pullrite Lite. Others may disagree but that's why I went with the Andersen. The Goose Box that Chuckster suggested is a great choice. There are also other standard 5th wheel hitches that will also attach to the goose neck ball. These all would be a better choice than a gooseneck adapter.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
travelin texans

If I've read correctly the Goosebox is the only gooseneck adapter that will not void Lipperts frame warranty as per Lipperts, if that's of any concern.
I have no experience with either & not an engineer, but would chose the GB over the Anderson hitch, as I've said before the Anderson just appears way to flimsy.
There's those on here that use the Anderson & have great luck, but to drop 2500-4000 lbs onto an aluminum hitch weighing 35lbs with all the jerking, bouncing, & yanking back/forth going down our wonderful highway system just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed LOTS of gooseboxes over the years and not a single customer has been back with a complaint or any issues.

Anderson does carry an insurance policy that they claim will pay if Lippert determines failure is caused by the hitch, but IIRC its only after ANDSERSON does an investigation using their people....

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
ADQ K9

B&W makes the Companion which might be another option if you have the pucks and gooseneck kit in your truck already.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If I've read correctly the Goosebox is the only gooseneck adapter that will not void Lipperts frame warranty as per Lipperts, if that's of any concern.
I have no experience with either & not an engineer, but would chose the GB over the Anderson hitch, as I've said before the Anderson just appears way to flimsy.
There's those on here that use the Anderson & have great luck, but to drop 2500-4000 lbs onto an aluminum hitch weighing 35lbs with all the jerking, bouncing, & yanking back/forth going down our wonderful highway system just doesn't seem like a good idea.

That warranty coverage is strange as the leverage on the 5th wheel frame is the same as an adapter. Chris
Old 12-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
sonofcy

Quote:
I just put the ball in the hole. That's how they built my truck.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
ChrisB

We did not want the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of our 2500 gmc. I already had the goose neck ball, our dealership recomended the reece air bag goose pin box. It is harder to get lined up on. But saves room in the bed. I love it now but you better read the owners manual and check the air pressure every time. Our dealer told us it was ready to go so we hooked up and took off to Louisiana from houston. Some of the roads were very rough and as we found out we had zero pressure in our airbag. The trailer began to buck and articulate so severely one of my bed caps was damaged. My wife's neck was strained as well. Luckily I could hand on to the steering wheel. Scared the hell out of us both. I believe the trailer was almost lifting out truck bed off the ground. Since then we learned very quickly and love the way it pulls. But always check your air!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
We did not want the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of our 2500 gmc. I already had the goose neck ball, our dealership recomended the reece air bag goose pin box. It is harder to get lined up on. But saves room in the bed. I love it now but you better read the owners manual and check the air pressure every time. Our dealer told us it was ready to go so we hooked up and took off to Louisiana from houston. Some of the roads were very rough and as we found out we had zero pressure in our airbag. The trailer began to buck and articulate so severely one of my bed caps was damaged. My wife's neck was strained as well. Luckily I could hand on to the steering wheel. Scared the hell out of us both. I believe the trailer was almost lifting out truck bed off the ground. Since then we learned very quickly and love the way it pulls. But always check your air!

Is it possible it had no air when you left the dealer? Not knowing when you purchased/installed your goosebox, I've read where the first version had an issue with the air bleeding off through the valve assembly. On the second version, they updated the air valve assembly (it's a milled block of brass vs. whatever V1 was using) and it's supposed to have resolved the air loss. You should contact Reese and see if they'll send you an updated valve.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
CaminoCappy

I am with the guys that like the Anderson. Loosen (not remove) three bolts, pull the pin and lift the 39lb Anderson Hitch out of the pickup bed. Turn the "turn-over" ball over and you have your whole bed for hauling. Takes 15 minutes for an old geezer like me and 10 minutes for a young guy.
CaminoCappy is offline   Reply With Quote