Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #21
purebred

Pictures of weatherstripping under bottom windows

Opened a window and took these two pictures of the cut weatherstripping I have been trying to describe. Hopefully they are helpful in what I am trying to describe. If in fact Keystone designed these cuts I will gladly remove the ones I have covered up. After covering some of the windows the wife and me did notice a remarkable difference in the cold air from the north coming in under the window. I do know that you need air movement in an rv to keep the humidity down. If in fact this is the way these windows are designed I will just accept the fact of the slight inconvenience that the air movement has inside the unit. Didn't mean to ruffle in feathers here. Never had windows like this and trying to get information from where I bought it is like pulling hens teeth. Again sorry if I seemed arrogant or inconsiderate of the fine people on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191123_090752.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	24435  
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone didn’t make the windows,they just install them. If you look closely at the bottom corner of the glass the manufacturer of the window and the P/N will be printed in it. You can contact them directly

Yes those are “frameless” windows and yes those gaps are supposed to be there

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #23
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Keystone didn’t make the windows,they just install them. If you look closely at the bottom corner of the glass the manufacturer of the window and the P/N will be printed in it. You can contact them directly

Thank you Sir. Appreciate the response and again sorry to all here for my arrogant sounding remarks. I have sense removed all the small areas I covered up. Just have to learn to live with the cold air coming in them. Will be leaving Texas in may and heading to Arizona. Hopefully a much warmer scenario.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Chuck is right; mine look just like that only the weather stripping has shrunk a little making the gap a bit wider. You DO need that gap.

Being in W TX I understand that you might feel a bit of air seepage from those gaps on cold days knowing what the wind is like....having lived out there all my life. When you go other places where the wind doesn't constantly blow or gust into the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s mph etc. you will never even know they are there....but they do their job.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Thank you Sir. Appreciate the response and again sorry to all here for my arrogant sounding remarks. I have sense removed all the small areas I covered up. Just have to learn to live with the cold air coming in them. Will be leaving Texas in may and heading to Arizona. Hopefully a much warmer scenario.
No need to apologize, We were all new to this at one point or another.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

I'm glad you found the information you needed. Hindsight is 20 / 20 but I think this is a learning experience, for me at least. I shouldn't have forwarded an opinion without getting more information. There have been several posts of late where a couple of folks have had improperly installed windows from the factory and when I read that you "had gaps at the bottom of the windows my mind went there.

The picture, along with the posts clarifies what you have. Things to think about.... if all the windows have the "missing section of seal" that's the exact same sized, at the exact same locations, then that's a good indication that it's designed to be that way. When looking at the picture there's no evidence of the seal being "torn away, cut, or split". The edges are straight cut and there's no appearance of any adhesive residue in the space.
Enjoy your travels.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #27
Tbos

Window weatherstripping question

Quote:
I find it hard to believe you don't have condensation on your windows.

I have the double pane windows. We run a very small dehumidifier in the bedroom. When we cook or take a shower we open a vent and turn on the fan.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #28
purebred

Don't get it

If you have dual pane windows, how would you know you have the same cutouts I have? Why in the world would you need to worry about moisture with dual pane windows. Sorry but I just don't get it.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #29
Tbos

Quote:
If you have dual pane windows, how would you know you have the same cutouts I have? Why in the world would you need to worry about moisture with dual pane windows. Sorry but I just don't get it.

My cut outs in the weather stripping for my windows are just like the ones in your picture. I was simply explaining what we do. Dual panes can still get moisture on them. They only add a little extra insulation, not as good as those in a house. Bottom line is all of us need to control the humidity in our rigs. Enjoy your Alpine. We enjoy ours.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
sonofcy

Quote:
Our new Alpine had a problem with windows fogging up and air leakage around them.I opened each one and noticed that every window had a small gap about 3/4 inch long at both ends of the windows on the bottom. I can't believe this is a normal practice of sealing these windows. Would these gaps be for venting the trailer? I bought some weatherstripping and filled the voids up. Just curious if this the normal sealing of windows or not? Thanks
Same size in the same location in ALL windows sounds like that is as designed. I would leave them alone. As far as condensation, that is 'normal' given certain circumstances. It is why we have a full sized excellent automatic dehumidifier, added fans and small heaters plus real outside venting of the range hood and use the Maxxfans when needed. We are full timers and are wintering on Vancouver Island. We have discovered mold on a less than 1 year old Montana already and have installed USB powered computer fans under the bed and MBR settee. We also have some issues in the cabinet under the bathroom sink since it is against a slide wall. Leaving the door open and running the automatic dehumidifier helps but is not perfect. We are still fighting the issue. All of this is to say it is very normal to have condensation in a poorly insulated small living space in cooler environments when using propane heat. When it is 5C /40F and above we use the heat pump and don't have a problem but for a few days now it has been colder getting down to 0C and even -2C or -3C. We never have condensation on our factory installed insulated windows sometimes called thermal pane.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #31
larryflew

3/4 long by maybe 1/16 and 2 in each large window as weep holes for condensation.

37 ft Alpine dragged by GMC 3500