Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
River Duck

That’s what I thought. After I posted I thought that was a pretty dumb question. When I think about it though I have a good location on mine. Towards the back of the fifth wheel. Keeps the weight off of the pin
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #22
corsavair1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtriangle View Post
Hello all:
Quick question regarding towing with water in the fresh tank. Is it recommended? We just picked up our bullet 257RSS and the dealership put 2/3 tank of fresh water in it. It towed ok but wanted to see if there was a difference with no water in it. Drained it and while “feeling” lighter, it also felt more bouncy. So that made me wonder if they put it there for a reason other than just to demo sinks/water pump stuff. Do some people put water in there to settle it down?
Also, I tow with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD. I pull about 2200-2500 RPMs doing about 62-65 mph. Does that sound appropriate?
I have a keystone sprinter 37 foot TT pulled with Ram 2500 Diesel and normally run around 65 gallons in my 50 Gallon Fresh water tank. To me TT seems to ride a little better with extra weight on Tow vehicle. Dealer suggested to run at least 3/4 full when towing and normally that is the case. How ever, on a recent trip home through Alabama and near Mississippi line my Tank fell out and tore out the plasticore and insulation a drug on the interstate until I could get on to the shoulder. Emergency road call cost me nearly $400 for temporary repair and after getting home another $1500. Good old Keystone was contacted since TT is just 19 month old with very few trips under its belt. Guess what I was told by Zane at Keystone? "YOU OVER FILLED YOUR TANK AND NOT COVERED BY MANUFACTURES WARRANTY". Just for information purposes the Fresh water tank cradle is only held up with 5 TEK screws which stripped the tapped holes. TEK distributor told me that these should have held but if the Dummy installing over torqued them it may have pulled the threads out and that would have possibly been the cause. Roadside emergency had to drill stripped holes for bolts and nuts to reattach the tank and cradle. In addition I had metal safety straps installed for good keeping. I will still put water in the tank as before but at least I know it should now hold and still provide a better tow of my TT.
corsavair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
corsavair1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsavair1965 View Post
I have a keystone sprinter 37 foot TT pulled with Ram 2500 Diesel and normally run around 65 gallons in my 50 Gallon Fresh water tank. To me TT seems to ride a little better with extra weight on Tow vehicle. Dealer suggested to run at least 3/4 full when towing and normally that is the case. How ever, on a recent trip home through Alabama and near Mississippi line my Tank fell out and tore out the plasticore and insulation a drug on the interstate until I could get on to the shoulder. Emergency road call cost me nearly $400 for temporary repair and after getting home another $1500. Good old Keystone was contacted since TT is just 19 month old with very few trips under its belt. Guess what I was told by Zane at Keystone? "YOU OVER FILLED YOUR TANK AND NOT COVERED BY MANUFACTURES WARRANTY". Just for information purposes the Fresh water tank cradle is only held up with 5 TEK screws which stripped the tapped holes. TEK distributor told me that these should have held but if the Dummy installing over torqued them it may have pulled the threads out and that would have possibly been the cause. Roadside emergency had to drill stripped holes for bolts and nuts to reattach the tank and cradle. In addition I had metal safety straps installed for good keeping. I will still put water in the tank as before but at least I know it should now hold and still provide a better tow of my TT.
Sorry I have an 80 Gallon tank not 50. My Typo
Old 08-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
CaptnJohn

They put the tank in with an overflow. How can it be overfilled?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #25
corsavair1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
They put the tank in with an overflow. How can it be overfilled?
I have 80 GL tank and carry roughly 65 to 70 GL in it when traveling. Keystone said it was overfilled and that is why it fell out. Just an excuse to not deal with my problem that cost me nearly $1900. Just thought I would post this as what happened in my case.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #26
KJJ

Almost always tow my Passport 238ML with a full FW tank, located toward the front. Have a Blue Ox hitch so have never had a sway problem either way, even with full gray and black tanks which are located near the rear.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have 80 GL tank and carry roughly 65 to 70 GL in it when traveling. Keystone said it was overfilled and that is why it fell out. Just an excuse to not deal with my problem that cost me nearly $1900. Just thought I would post this as what happened in my case.

I am very sympathetic for your problem - just endured something similar myself, but, I believe your trailer is a 2017 so I'm not sure how Keystone is responsible past their 12 mo. warranty.

But, I will say this; to me one should be able to fill a fresh water tank and take off. Many do, many don't. The "draw" of an RV to many is to be able to take off will full tanks and stay "out there" and enjoy nature. From experience I know how fun that is.

On the other hand....if you've ever worked on a newer RV you know that at least 20%, probably 35-40%, of screws are stripped because the "pros" putting the thing together just hit the screw gun, impact, jack hammer...whatever, until they get tired of hearing it spin. I assume that that's the way they know the fastener is in and tight....the driver never stops spinning.

Due to that I've never carried more than a 1/3 in my fresh water tank unless at a dry site and filled close by. I have no confidence whatsoever that whatever was used to support it will actually hold it unless I pull the coroplast and check all the fasteners. For me, it's not worth the effort. Especially after just having my galley gray tank replaced because during construction they left a bunch of screws etc. on the top of the tank, pushed it up against the floor, secured it and then sent it down the road. The screws wore holes thru the top of the tank - how are you going to check that? .....it never ends.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #28
Yankee Clipper

Pulling my 2015 Sprinter 33RLS with a 2010 2500HD Duramax. Crossed the scales in KS at 22,325 lbs. 70 mph at 1750 RPM, at 7.5-9.2 mpg. Added air bags to control the bounce. This trailer has all of the weight forward and need 85 psi in the bags. Couldn't balance weight on the r trailer tires if your life depended on it. Great floor plan for living but stupid for loading evenly. A little more info than you asked for.
Yankee Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #29
WJQ

I have a 2018 Cougar 24SABWE. This unit has the FW tank ahead of the axel. When I took delivery, my Ram 1500, 5.7 using the 12,000 lb Equalizer hitch seem perfectly level. Had minimal water in the FW tank and no grey & black water.

After adding gear, clothing, tools, etc, the truck-trailer are not as level as they were initially. I generally tow with minimal water as I reach a 3000 ft grade about 10 miles from my house. I get my water at the camping spots I use (Forest Service sites). Towing stability seems fine but I keep wondering if I should re-adjust the equalizer hitch or possibly install air bags.

Looking for your thoughts.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #30
larryflew

As we aged we currently we do not do any boondocking so we only have enough water in the tank for emergency flushes. With the Alpine 5th wheel and 3500 GMC Duramax I could not feel any difference with or without full tank.

Previously we had a lightweight 28 foot Forest River Freedom lightweight pulled by a Hemi Pathfinder. Full tank did ride better with less bouncing but the Pathfinder was pretty much maxed out and didn't like the hills around AZ and NV with full tank so we started traveling with an empty and did much better on pulling power and mileage.

Possibly with a more appropriate powered vehicle we might have kept using full tank.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
I have a 2018 Cougar 24SABWE. This unit has the FW tank ahead of the axel. When I took delivery, my Ram 1500, 5.7 using the 12,000 lb Equalizer hitch seem perfectly level. Had minimal water in the FW tank and no grey & black water.

After adding gear, clothing, tools, etc, the truck-trailer are not as level as they were initially. I generally tow with minimal water as I reach a 3000 ft grade about 10 miles from my house. I get my water at the camping spots I use (Forest Service sites). Towing stability seems fine but I keep wondering if I should re-adjust the equalizer hitch or possibly install air bags.

Looking for your thoughts.

Load the trailer then adjust the wdh. When adjusting it to the empty weight it isn't adjusted properly hence not being level.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #32
CWtheMan

Reading this thread I’m a bit surprised at the number of people carrying lots on water of any kind. As full timers we never had the luxury of being able to carry much more than 15 gallons of water. That includes what’s in the water heater and black tank. A total of 25 gallons or more could cause us to exceed our GAWR safety margin. The scaled weights for our 6000# axles were always right at 2750# - 2850# at the heaviest axle end. To keep it in that range we carried about 8 gallons of fresh water plus 6 gallons in the hot water tank and a 10# bag of ice cubes in the black tank after every 5th dump.

Keep in mind that we have always been spoiled full timers and have never boondocked, dry camped or used someone’s parking lot. Our lowest utility usage requirement is at least 30 amps and water. Those with water & elect must have an available dump station. We just don’t travel heavy and dump all tanks prior to every move.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #33
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtriangle View Post
Hello all:
Quick question regarding towing with water in the fresh tank. Is it recommended? We just picked up our bullet 257RSS and the dealership put 2/3 tank of fresh water in it. It towed ok but wanted to see if there was a difference with no water in it. Drained it and while “feeling” lighter, it also felt more bouncy. So that made me wonder if they put it there for a reason other than just to demo sinks/water pump stuff. Do some people put water in there to settle it down?
Also, I tow with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD. I pull about 2200-2500 RPMs doing about 62-65 mph. Does that sound appropriate?
Congratulations. It isn't necessary to put water in the fresh tank when you begin your trip unless you are not sure you can get it where you are going. Added weight = waisted fuel. Sounds like you have more than enough truck to tow this trailer. There have been a few times I wish I would have filled the tank (going to a Forest Campground). Most of them have water, or you can get it somewhere before you hit the mountains. Your RPM's sound normal for flat land low altitude. Most engines like 2000 to 2200 when towing (gas engine). If you don't have stabilizer bars, it might help to have some water weight up front. Some folks cancel OD when towing, it is a good idea.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #34
theboneskes

I too am surprised how many tow with fresh water in their tanks... We always get water when we pull into a campgroud, and dump our tanks on the way out if we only have electric hookup, if full hook up, obviously we dont have any water of any type once we pull out of our camping spot. With all the gas stations out there(IE Pilot, Flying J, TA, etc) and waysides, why would you tow with water? Just ads extra weight(8 pounds per gallon), and if you want filtered water, hook up your filter at the campground. I am just confused how many people tow with water...
Prodigy P1 Brake Controller
Used to own: 2006 Jayco 29FBS
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Guess what I was told by Zane at Keystone? "YOU OVER FILLED YOUR TANK AND NOT COVERED BY MANUFACTURES WARRANTY".
If 80 gallons is too much water to carry in the tank, why do they provide an 80-gallon tank???

On the other hand, maybe that explains why my tank came loaded with construction sawdust and styrofoam detritus --it was to prevent me from overfilling it with actual water.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #36
ChuckS

When towing to RV park I carry about a 1/3 tank of fresh water in case we need to stop for Mother Nature call in between roadside stops, etc. have done this for over 35 years.

When boon docking I leave with full tank of fresh water. There is none where we go. Makes absolutely zero difference in mpg with my Duramax diesel.

Tows the same with it without water in 2014 Alpine

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #37
CWtheMan

Remember, all of the water in any tanks provided by the RV manufacturer as original equipment is cargo and it's onboard weight must always be a consideration when preparing for trips.

The reference below is a typical RV trailer cargo label. In 2010 it became mandatory for that type of label to be displayed in all new trailers.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=6512
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #38
Badtriangle

Just a quick update on several of the issues in this thread:
Took a trip this weekend and used everyone’s advice from here.
Towed with a full FWT and it seemed to settle the TT and it rode a bit better IMO. Used the Tow/haul function and OMG how have not used that before? It was amazing. The engine and tranny seemed happier. Seemed like I had better fuel mileage. Actually was able to set the cruise and “relax” a little on the drive.
Badtriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 AM   #39
66joej

Up in this part of the country (lots of mountains) we use tow/haul with cruise control quite often when not pulling a trailer. Cleaner better shifts. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, tow, towing, water