Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
jdixon980

Would this be better?

Thinking about adding this inside my fifth wheel. Adding to line coming in and bypassing antenna booster. Only camp in with full hookup site, so always have cable. Know that I will not receive over the air channels with this setup. My thinking is that with this setup, i am able to boost cable signal. Do away with the factory splitter by attaching all tv’s to this amplifier. Anybody think I will get a better picture? Have used my new fifth wheel twice in the same campground with not a very good picture. Will be going to a different campground for the week of July 4th so will see how tv looks there. If not very clear, may disconnect everything and try the amplifier. Anybody have any other ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16899
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
travelin texans

Usually I can improve the cable for less than .25 cents. Typically the biggest problem is that the connection on the park side has been used so much that the connector is worn out. You can buy a package of several of the barrel connectors for just a couple bucks & with a screwdriver & a 7/16" wrench replace it in about 2 minutes & improving the picture drastically.
You said the booster was off, but once setting the tv input to cable you are scanning the channels?
I had one of devices shown in my home years ago, but have no experience with it in a rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
HANGAR

You might want to give it a try in your spare time while camping to see what type of results you get. You're still at the mercy of the park cable feed. If the feed is supplying you with a bad or noisy signal, you'll probably just amplify the trashy signal. Good idea about replacing the connector, but if the park cable is damaged somewhere along the run, you're still going to have a poor signal. It may also make a difference depending on where your campsite is located. Are you close to the source of the original park cable feed or are you located a couple hundred feet away? Long cable runs can degrade the signal quality, especially if there are bad connections along the way.
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

From what I've experienced, the quality of "cable" tv in a park runs the gamut from excellent to non existent; 100 channels to 3. I would check your setup at another location/park to see if it's just not the quality of the cable where you have been. After that, solutions range from the new connectors mentioned to different aftermarket products that may or may not improve the situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote