Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #1
Harleydodge

Mini PC or ?...

Hey folks,

We are planning to be on the road later this year for several months, and I was wondering what you guys do for trip planning while away from "home base"
Here at home, I have my armchair and a decent standalone PC (with keyboard and mouse) that I use constantly for all my computing needs.
I could take it with us, but it's a bit bulky and I really don't have anywhere that would be handy to set it up in the Toy Hauler.

I really like Google Maps for trip planning, looking at routes etc but I find it much easier to navigate using a mouse and keyboard, rather than trying too use it on my phone or my android tablet. I mean it works, it's just not the same for me and I find it frustrating.

So with that said, I am looking at maybe picking up a mini PC such as this: https://www.amazon.ca/MINIX-NEO-Z83-...70_&dpSrc=srch
And mounting it behind the main TV in the living area of my T.H. and using that as a monitor along with a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Just curious what you guys do for computing while "on the road"

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
busterbrown

One word, "laptop". The convenience of a PC and portability of tablet. Windows based laptops are extremely affordable now more than ever. You'll have the onboard memory to chisel out any computer task you throw at it. Add a bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo and you'll have all the luxuries of you home PC. I own a 17.3 inch HP that I use as my primary device when at home or on the road.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
One word, "laptop". The convenience of a PC and portability of tablet. Windows based laptops are extremely affordable now more than ever. You'll have the onboard memory to chisel out any computer task you throw at it. Add a bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo and you'll have all the luxuries of you home PC. I own a 17.3 inch HP that I use as my primary device when at home or on the road.

Thanks and Yes, I meant to mention that that was another option I am considering.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
wobly

Another consideration is how you will get connected to the Internet. Depending on your cellular carrier, you may be able to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. We have T-Mobile and usually do that if we have service. We also bought a pre-paid Verizon Samsung J1 for $40 and some time on it. For where we go, Verizon often has a signal when other companies don't. We just use the J1 as the hotspot, but if we needed to, we could also use it as a phone. And it was cheaper than buying an actual Verizon Jetpack.

I should also mention that I bought a cheap Walmart 2-in-1 tablet /laptop and a Bluetooth mouse for use when traveling. Light, easy to use and if it gets trashed, easy and cheap to replace.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobly View Post
Another consideration is how you will get connected to the Internet. Depending on your cellular carrier, you may be able to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. We have T-Mobile and usually do that if we have service. We also bought a pre-paid Verizon Samsung J1 for $40 and some time on it. For where we go, Verizon often has a signal when other companies don't. We just use the J1 as the hotspot, but if we needed to, we could also use it as a phone. And it was cheaper than buying an actual Verizon Jetpack.

I should also mention that I bought a cheap Walmart 2-in-1 tablet /laptop and a Bluetooth mouse for use when traveling. Light, easy to use and if it gets trashed, easy and cheap to replace.

That's a good tip about the prepaid phone as a hotspot. Thanks! I handn't thought of doing that.
I plan on switching my current provider to Telus up here in Canada, as they have a plan that I can use my Data in the U.S, as well as here. Not sure who they use to "piggy back" off of in the States for providers, but I remember reading it was a few different ones.
I will also keep your prepaid idea in mind for an alternative.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #6
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Same here. Have the laptop behind the TV, with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable running to one of the TV HDMI ports so I can use the laptop as a media player for my movies. I then have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can sit in my recliner and surf the internet using the 50" TV in the camper as my monitor. Works great!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Same here. Have the laptop behind the TV, with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable running to one of the TV HDMI ports so I can use the laptop as a media player for my movies. I then have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can sit in my recliner and surf the internet using the 50" TV in the camper as my monitor. Works great!

Thanks!
That's exactly what I'm thinking on doing with the mini PC that I linked to earlier, only it would be a smaller footprint.
The performance in the mini PC is pretty impressive for it's size as well. More than enough for my needs.
Only downside compared to a Lappy would be portability and the ability to use it outside on battery power as well.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We routinely dry camp where there's no power and no campground wifi. I usually take my 15" Toshiba laptop, but the battery only lasts about 5-6 hours. I also have an 8" Amazon Fire tablet which uses Bluetooth to connect to a hotspot or wifi to access the internet. We have a Verizon jetpack with "unlimited" data. What that means is we get the first 15 gigs of data at "regular speed" after which the jetpack is "throttled back" to 600 kilobyte speed. That's still sufficient to surf the internet, access the forum, check email and even for my DW to access her portals (she teaches online university classes). She has her own laptop/Fire tablet, so we're not competing for the device, just for data connections LOL.....

So far, on a trip "out west" through the northwest, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and back up through Ohio and Indiana, we never had any issue with internet access. Most campgrounds that advertise "free internet" don't really have an adequate bandwidth for the entire campground. During daylight/early evening it's nearly impossible to get online because of the number of "other people using the system", so we use our Jetpack. Usually, if internet is available, it's only "fast enough to use" in the early morning hours, before the kids start wanting to watch cartoons.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
xrated

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro that I take along. I'm able to connect a USB mouse and it runs Windows 10 professional version. I use my Verizon phone to hotspot to the surface pro or I can hook up to any Wi-Fi that I have access to....pretty handy for sure
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
anuccite

Dell and other companies Sell "Micro" PC's now.... That can easily be hidden, You do lose the ability to turn it on without shore power (or Gen). But it will really depend on exactly how you want to use it.

As said above, a Laptop (most modern ones) can easily be connected via HDMI to a TV.

anuccite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro that I take along. I'm able to connect a USB mouse and it runs Windows 10 professional version. I use my Verizon phone to hotspot to the surface pro or I can hook up to any Wi-Fi that I have access to....pretty handy for sure
Surface pro as well. Love it. New ones now have cell service built in to add to your plan. I don’t have one of those yet, still use the iPhone as hotspot with Verizon
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

To your first question; laptop. How do you get to the "world", well there are many ways. I use what's available wherever I'm at, and, when we are spending the winter in FL I have them install my own broad band network because I can't deal with "dial up" speeds, or, "free wi fi".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
ptooti

I have 2 mini pc's one is a kangaroo MD2B Mobile Desktop Computer (Intel Atom, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC) https://www.amazon.ca/Kangaroo-MD2B-.../dp/B017J20D8U

and one is a PTOX P1030 best $109 spent ...lol PTOX P1030 LINK I prefer the PTOX it works well will give you a heads up if it asks for the windows key there is a QR code on the bottom or on box scan it and it will give you the key I made a label an attached it to my unit you never know when you have to reinstall the OS

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Harleydodge

Thanks for all your input folks.
I have decided to try the unit I linked to in my original post.
I have it installed and running but the jury is still out.
It appears that the wifi antenna is a little weak, as it's having a rough time getting a decent signal from my home router.
works well tethered to my phone though.
I will "test drive" it for a bit and post back once I've had a chance to try it out on the road.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
Carolyn

I have an iPad pro, but also a Mac Book Pro laptop --and we live in the RV 6 months out of the year! Say Snowbirds!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
johnlewis

A laptop is the way to go. I have a little HP, with an external (512gB) hard drive, and bluetooth mouse. I do all my banking and bill paying on it, plus operate my monthly budget via Excel. I have a hotspot, but you can use your phone as a hotspot. A hotspot is necessary if you are banking or bill paying. Can't trust RV Park's wi-fi, since it isn't secure. I have AT&T, my wife have Verizon, so we can get a good signal almost anywhere in US.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote