Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
sonofcy

Montana 3811MS front window moisture

Hi,

Has anybody figured out how to deal with the moisture on the front window? I am thinking I need some sort of 12V electrical heat tape. We used to have something similar for the rear window in cars many moons ago before they started doing it at the factory.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Tbos

Are you talking about on the inside or outside? Inside would be condensation. You could run a dehumidifier and maybe a fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
sonofcy

It is condensation on the inside
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Tbos

In the summer with the AC on it shouldn't be an issue. With the heat on it helps to have the upper vents open some too. The biggest issue with that is the heat goes out the vents too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Condensation is caused by increased humidity inside the coach. It "condenses" on the cool parts of the RV as the outside temperatures go down. The window is one of the places where condensation collects. I'd be concerned that there are other locations that you haven't identified. Places like the area where the mattress meets the sidewall, the sofa backs up against the sidewall, inside cupboards that are mounted on exterior walls, especially in damp locations such as in the bathroom and near the kitchen sink.

You can reduce condensation by lowering the humidity inside. A dehumidifier, using exhaust fans when showering and using the range hood fan when cooking. If you still have a problem with that large window once you've reduced the humidity, you might consider a small fan placed on a flat surface near that window with the air blowing over that location.

The problem with humidity is that it very often doesn't "show itself" as you're seeing on the window. It's the hidden locations that collect moisture, don't get "aired out" and mold starts to grow. Check your mattress, the cushions on dinette seats and behind the sofa/TV seating.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
sonofcy

Thanks for that great input. Of course you are 100% right, it's the hidden areas that will get you. All the rest of our windows are clear of condensation because they are insulated windows. We will change our habits and start venting when taking a shower. My wife has already started venting the kitchen when cooking because the fire alarm comes on if you don't. Burning a little extra propane or electricity is better than mold any day.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
rrjernigan

We have only had condensation on the front window when we were on the Texas coast during the summer. We always use the maxx air when taking a shower.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
sonofcy

Thanks, that is what we will do going forward.

Tags
montana