Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #21
gearhead

Santee area is nice for sure. My mothers family was from there 250 years ago. Fought with Swamp Fox. Up around Winston-Salem North Carolina ain't bad either.
I don't think I could sell my home and RV full time. We've moved several times but within about a 30 mile area. This part of Texas has always been home and I guess it always will be.
That said we almost retired in northwest Arkansas. Very nice area, 4 seasons, low property taxes but an income tax state. Anyone want to buy 2 lots near Rogers Arkansas??
Our Ameriprise guy about jumped out his 26th floor window when I told him I wanted to pay cash to build this house. "Why would I do that when I could get a 4% mortgage and he can make us more than that?" Of course he was looking at losing his management fee on that amount. But we did get a mortgage. It has worked out well.
As for a rental. Maybe a buy condo before retirement, rent it out until you need it. No exterior maintenance when you're old.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #22
gnirwin

I Just don't know how someone can full time. My hat's off to you. DW & I purchased a nice fifth wheel this past summer for plans on staying in it for a few months during winter months 2 years from now when we retire. We are thinking about 3 months (Jan to April) and I am worried that I will be ready to head home before those 3 months are up. I like to camp, don't get me wrong but am always happy to be back in my house and home when the week or 2 camping trip is over. The camper we bought is nicer than anything we have owned so maybe it will be different than past experiences.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirwin View Post
I Just don't know how someone can full time. My hat's off to you. DW & I purchased a nice fifth wheel this past summer for plans on staying in it for a few months during winter months 2 years from now when we retire. We are thinking about 3 months (Jan to April) and I am worried that I will be ready to head home before those 3 months are up. I like to camp, don't get me wrong but am always happy to be back in my house and home when the week or 2 camping trip is over. The camper we bought is nicer than anything we have owned so maybe it will be different than past experiences.
I think part of the "camping experience" vs the "Full timing experience" is mindset. When we go for a couple of weeks, we stop the mail, stop the newspaper and turn off the hot water heater. We leave with the things we "NEED" and have the "mindset" of "We'll do without the rest for a couple of weeks". And, like you, a couple weeks later, on the way home, we look forward to getting back to "the stuff we left"......

Now, when we go for a couple of months in the winter or take a 8-10 week summer trip, we include many of those "leave at home and do without" things and we arrange for someone to get the mail from the post office (they will only hold it for 30 days). look through it and forward (actually Priority Mail those things we need to have to us at a pre-arranged location). We leave home with "a different mindset" and with many of the things we would not have packed along for 2 weeks. When we arrive at our destination and plan to be there for 2 or 3 months, we include much of the "stuff" we don't have with us for a "camping trip" so we don't "forgo much of our lifestyle" like we would for a shorter trip.

But, I don't think it's a coincidence that on the way home, after a 2 or 3 month trip, that we have those same "hunger pangs" to be back home and settled in to our "comfort routine"...

I'd suppose if we "didn't have home to return to" those "hunger pangs" probably wouldn't surface. They never have "on our trips, only on the way home......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
notanlines

I believe that a lot of the full-timing mindset has to do with one's sense of adventure. There are many who simply are the "paint the garage, mow the lawn and golf on Wednesday" type people when they retire. There are many who can't wait to sell the house and find a new adventure. A number of retirees fall in the middle, but you have to decide for yourself. All of our situations are different, but you need to think long and hard about where you want to be when you're 85 years old. Do you want to look out on a freshly painted garage with a nice lawn mower inside or look out at a lake full of crappie just waiting to be dipped in cornmeal.....your call!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #25
Tbos

Thanks for the added advice. We are still deciding since we have a couple years until retirement. We do know we can't stay in MD. The taxes are just too high.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Sourdough, I had not really considered SC. I need to look into that. You are right about the size of the states in the east. It gets really crazy in New England.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Depends ~~ I moved to SC when I retired 14 years ago. Stayed there 5 years and found I like it much better right across the line in NC. Property taxes are slightly higher and all others lower. With taxes under $1400 on a $300+K home who cares. $300K buys a lot of house compared to many other places. My biggest expense on the house is insurance but worth it to me as my boat at the marina is only 4 minutes from home.
One more thing ~~ along with NC state employees, retired military and retired federal CSRS are exempt from state income tax.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #27
Tbos

John,
Thanks for the info. I'm federal FERS. Does NC tax that retirement?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #28
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Depends on ~~ I moved to SC when I retired 14 years ago. Stayed there 5 years and found I like it much better right across the line in NC. Property taxes are slightly higher and all others lower. as my boat at the marina is only 4 minutes from home.
One more thing ~~ along with NC state employees retired military and retired federal CSRS are exempt from state income tax.
I like calling NC home!
randy

PS I am looking at 5 years out to retire, the wife is 4 younger than me so she will not be able to retire when I do. PLUS she carries the family insurance so that's a no-brainer on my part. We plan to do more traveling once I retire. Someone mentioned the wife would outlive us men and I believe that based on my family history and the wife's. So we are talking and I am planning. My thoughts are to get me JOB at a campground being some type of host or worker and the wife come down and visit on weekends the first few years. then travel as we can. I have moved about all Iw ant to move, we just remodeled our S&B and we are not going to leave it. So traveling several months a year sounds good. MY 2 oldest are going to live close by as my 2 grandchildren, the youngest child (22 end of month)will be the traveler. so we will have to travel to visit her and her future.
So I have enjoyed coming back and reading this thread.
thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #29
notanlines

TBOS, info is fairly available on the 'net.
If you are receiving a federally taxable retirement plan distribution under the former federal FERS system and you had at least 5 years of creditable service as of 8/12/89 (yes, thats 1989) then you may exclude ALL of your benefits from N.C. taxation. Report the deduction on line 42 of N.C. Individual Income tax return form D-400. No such FULL exemption is available for retirement distributions from plans of other states.

If you do not qualify for this exemption both you and your wife will qualify for N.C.'s general retirement deduction of up to the lesser of your taxable retirement distributions or $4,000 each. Thus, you may report a reduction in your N.C. taxable income of up to $8,000 for retirement plan benefits you receive that are taxable for Federal purposes. This deduction is reported on line 43 of Form D-400.

To the extent your retirement benefits are exempted on line 42, you may not take an additional deduction on line 43. Thus, if your benefits are exempt completely on line 42 because you qualified, then you may only take a $4,000 deduction on line 43 to reduce your wife's taxable retirement benefits.

Here is a link to the form http://www.dor.state.nc.us/downloads/D400_D400TC.pdf.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #30
Tbos

Thanks. I appreciate the NC information. I will have military time that will credit toward my federal retirement. A lot of that time is prior to 1989. I don't know if that will count or not. Much to learn still.