Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
windy2day

What Size Portable Waste Tank To Go With?

I need a little input from some experienced long-term campers.

I will be spending the season at a new campground this year that does not offer sewer hookup. I figure it may be a little more work for me, but not that major enough of an issue to prevent me from having a great summer.

I am considering purchasing the "35 Gallon Thetford SmartTote LX Portable Waste Tank" to handle my gray water. The campground will provide a honey wagon service for $6 a dump. I figure for the six bucks they can handle the black water for me (probably will only need to be done every other week???).

Is there any reason I should consider a different size portable tank?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

George
windy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
hankaye

windy2day, Howdy;

Kinda depends on your usage habits, how much time you intend to stay
(weekends, weeks at a time or full-time for the "Season"), all of those factors
and how you utilize the facility itself will determine you specific needs.

I full-timed for a Summer at a campground in Ohio while I was in my TT.
Only had electric at the site. So, once a week (before the weekenders showed up), I'd hook-up, un-plug and drive it to the dump station, on the way I'd
fill-up my fresh water tank. After dumping and flushing my black tank
and dumping the gray I trundle back to my site and back in, level and re=plug the trailer into the electric.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
f6bits

My grey tank is 30 gallons and I have a Barker 32 gallon tote. That way I won't overflow my portable when emptying the grey.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

George, We don't know what your gray water capacity is but as Scott mentioned it is good to have a tote that can handle it all plus a little to play it safe. If you have two tanks you can get away with a smaller tote and just make two trips. JM2˘, Hank ...... I deleted your other thread so things don't get confusing with double posts.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

X3 on having a "blue tote" that's at least as large as your largest holding tank.

If you're using it for gray water only (some places restrict black tank waste in blue totes so check first) you can open and close the valve if the blue tote is getting full.

But, with the black tank, once you open the valve, you really don't want to close it and risk trapping toilet paper or solids in the rubber sealing rings around the slide valve. If you do "cram crap" into that slit where the slide valve seats and seals, you'll likely be sticking a hand "waaayyy up inside" to use your fingernails to scrape the stuff out so it will stop leaking. The alternative (and only solution) if you can't reach up inside is to drop the coroplast, disassemble the valve and clean it out that way. Neither option is really pleasing. The prevention is to never close your black tank valve with anything flowing through the valve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
X3 on having a "blue tote" that's at least as large as your largest holding tank.

If you're using it for gray water only (some places restrict black tank waste in blue totes so check first) you can open and close the valve if the blue tote is getting full.

But, with the black tank, once you open the valve, you really don't want to close it and risk trapping toilet paper or solids in the rubber sealing rings around the slide valve. If you do "cram crap" into that slit where the slide valve seats and seals, you'll likely be sticking a hand "waaayyy up inside" to use your fingernails to scrape the stuff out so it will stop leaking. The alternative (and only solution) if you can't reach up inside is to drop the coroplast, disassemble the valve and clean it out that way. Neither option is really pleasing. The prevention is to never close your black tank valve with anything flowing through the valve.
OKAY you got my interest "(some places restrict black tank waste in blue totes so check first " Interesting I thought the purpose of those blue totes were to be used in empting tanks both Gray and Black when no sewers are not available. You then "Tote " these units to the dump station and empty them. Did learn how to this and to request full hookups in the future. Sorry John have not gone dry camping yet, I am sure that will be another learning experience

Okay ready to learn what is reason
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems that "some campers" (certainly not Keystone owners) are less than adept at handling waste once it gets into the blue tote. Because there is, at times, spillage while towing to the dump station, gurgling while trying to lift it to get it to empty while the hose "flops around" and any number of other "calamities" that happen to spill "blue tote contents" on the ground. A number of campgrounds restrict use to gray water only. While it's relatively easy to "sneak a black tank dump in there" or to "claim, I didn't know officer" or use some other excuse. It's probably much safer to simply ask if black tank waste can be transported in a blue tote. If you get a puzzled look and a shrug of the shoulders, go for it, if not, you'll know before you become a "public enemy" with your wanted photo on the campground bulletin board.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It seems that "some campers" (certainly not Keystone owners) are less than adept at handling waste once it gets into the blue tote. Because there is, at times, spillage while towing to the dump station, gurgling while trying to lift it to get it to empty while the hose "flops around" and any number of other "calamities" that happen to spill "blue tote contents" on the ground. A number of campgrounds restrict use to gray water only. While it's relatively easy to "sneak a black tank dump in there" or to "claim, I didn't know officer" or use some other excuse. It's probably much safer to simply ask if black tank waste can be transported in a blue tote. If you get a puzzled look and a shrug of the shoulders, go for it, if not, you'll know before you become a "public enemy" with your wanted photo on the campground bulletin board.....
Thank You John, GOT IT !! OH YES "CALAMITIES" is the perfect word. Candid Camera has not found the Dump Station yet
I will leave this to your imagination: Raptor, no sewer hookup (first time), tanks gray and black near full (~117 gallon interesting stuff), rented this cute little blue wagon (40-45 Gallons) $2.00, Dump station about 20 yards away, a new single 15 feet sewer hose and adapter and a white haired inexperienced Senior Citizen. Oh Ya on top of that I left the ball hitch home " I Have a 5th wheel what do I need that for. "

YEAP "I can do this Did not spill anything BUT Very Interesting!!!
TO avoid total embarrassment I will not go into detail and leave it to your imagination !!! And yes I checked for cameras

Good part saved $4.00 Honey Wagon was $6.00 Can do the cute little wagon 3 times for that price. Could have connected up and drove up there but only would have experienced half of this.

Yes, it left an impression, all sites since that have been full hookup

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
Javi

It is very difficult to fully clean a tote once you've hauled black tank content in one, so I only use mine for grey water. This works out for us so far as the black tank (30 gal) will last the two of us for 5-7 days unless there is a problem.

I would recommend a tote that has a capacity at least a couple of gallons more than your grey tank if possible. My grey tanks is 30 gallons and my tote is 35 gallons, this allows me to haul a full grey tank and a few gallons of the galley tank each trip.

One thing I've done is to leave the tote in the pickup bed and use a macerator pump to fill and dump it, this is much cleaner and I don't have to drag the tote through the park at 2 mph.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
It is very difficult to fully clean a tote once you've hauled black tank content in one, so I only use mine for grey water. This works out for us so far as the black tank (30 gal) will last the two of us for 5-7 days unless there is a problem.

I would recommend a tote that has a capacity at least a couple of gallons more than your grey tank if possible. My grey tanks is 30 gallons and my tote is 35 gallons, this allows me to haul a full grey tank and a few gallons of the galley tank each trip.

One thing I've done is to leave the tote in the pickup bed and use a macerator pump to fill and dump it, this is much cleaner and I don't have to drag the tote through the park at 2 mph.
Thanks, I will have to look into this type pump, friend had offered me his tote. I think he had a similar experience as I and decided did not need tote anymore "Full Hookup" Thanks again for the suggestion

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Outbackmel

Gray water dumps

Never had to use one for black water. How much "poop'n" you planning?
I was is a FL campground a few years ago and the gray was topped out, no tote. Waited until 1am and drained off 20 gallons in a five gallon bucket and watered the area! Heck it isn't anything except biodegradable soap and water.

Hardest part is the wife yelling, you are going to get caught and go to jail.

Me officer, did not know....only dishwater....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Chippewa93

Also keep in mind, the weight of it when it is full since you'll be moving it around by hand. I have a 15 gallon and it's nice that I don't kill my self dumping it. Plus where you are going to store it, they can take up a lot of space
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
rode2nowhere

I have a 27 gallon, made rack on back bumper and held with ratchet straps.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
CarbonFun

We will be full-timing in our Carbon 327 for up to 10 months starting Friday, while we build a new home. We have no sewer drainage on the property. I have purchased a 250 gallon job site plastic tank and placed it under the trailer behind the axels. To attain proper drainage slope from the RV black water drain to the tank, I had to dig it down about 6 inches. I cut a rain gutter to the proper length and and reinforced it with a 2x4 and blocked it up to the heights of the RV drain and tank. Placed the sewer hose into the gutter and made the connections. All my sh!+ flows downhill now. When the tank is full, I have a local sewer pumper come and empty the contents. I have the advantage of being on my own personal property so I can almost do whatever I want to make it work.

Good luck to you.
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #15
mikell

About 6 years ago we stayed at a place for 5 months that only had a dump station. Our spot was about 100' so I bought a Flowjet pump and 100' feet of hose and ran it to the dump station when needed. Only problem one time someone pulled out the hose while I had my back turned for less than 2 seconds. Then I made a Do not disturb sign.

Bu the end of the 5 months I was renting it out and several other people purchased them except one family that tried to make everyone feel bad because they didn't have one and didn't feel it was right people were renting them out they got the boot just before we left

http://www.adventurerv.net/flojet-po...source=Froogle
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
carwheel_09

I like that tank idea. I'm in the process of locating the property that will allow me to do what you've done. Where did you get the tank?
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #17
CarbonFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
I like that tank idea. I'm in the process of locating the property that will allow me to do what you've done. Where did you get the tank?
I actually purchased it used from a local poop pumper. You can find them online but shipping costs are pretty spendy.

Take a look here.
http://www.mrjohn.com/JobSiteFacilit...dingTanks.aspx

GQ
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
68GS400

Re: What Size Portable Waste Tank To Go With?

Due to my wife's medical issues and while camped at a state park with water and electric and dump station, we purchased a 'blue boy' portable tank. Since onboard tanks are 30 gal, we bought a 42 gal tank. This model's handle hooks on trailer ball on tow hitch. I place a shopping bag over hitch ball (greased) and use a bungie cord to hold the handle on hitch (on first trip I 'lost" the tank on a speed bump.)
Remember at 8# per gallon these tanks weigh over 300 pounds when full!
I have had it inside camper, in bed of truck and on bed cover during various trips. Inside bed of truck is difficult due to wife's electric scooter and tool boxes - not enough room. Empty, it can be lifted by one person into camper or by two onto bed cover where it is strapped down.
I would like to have it mounted on back of camper but large rear window and spare tire and propane grill mounts prevent that. Looking for ideas on how to do this on a rear lounge Passport
68GS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #19
roadglide

I have see folks towerg those things behind there quads and unloading it spooks me just thinking about dealing with that much crap
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Obviously outside of the RV would be the best to prevent any contamination of the living quarters. Since the back of the trailer is loaded with other stuff, your truck bed or cover is about your only option. There are hoists that mount in the stake holes on the bed rails that could assist you lifting the tote. Unfortunately I don't see a lot of different options if out of the house storage is the goal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote