Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Overcrowded Parks

We've had several threads and comments on the increased RV industry and campers in general. I just got a newsletter from Passport America that talks about overcrowding at national parks and whether to start requiring reservations at them. Thought some might find it interesting;

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/u...rcrowding.html
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
grampscamper

Thanks for the link. It's sad but true. We've certainly seen a tremendous increase in the past 5 or 6 years.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've had several threads and comments on the increased RV industry and campers in general. I just got a newsletter from Passport America that talks about overcrowding at national parks and whether to start requiring reservations at them. Thought some might find it interesting;

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/u...rcrowding.html
Definitely becoming a problem. Spent today visiting Arches NP in Moan, UT. Arrived at the park at 9:45 and got in line. Passed through the entrance 30 min later. Most of the overlooks were crowded and some were full to capacity. This is midweek in October! Too many people!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
jsmith948

Moab, not moan!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Moab, not moan!

Those lines would make you moan!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
jsmith948

Yeah - darned auto complete!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Yeah - darned auto complete!
]

WARNING.......BAD PUN OF THE DAY!!........

Did you hear that the guy that invented "auto-correct" has passed away?..........

May he restaurant in peace! .
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
notanlines

Can't stay that we weren't warmed!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
TyeeMan

They should try some reverse psychology. Start posting the pictures from that link all over the place. People will see the crowds and decide to go somewhere else. Give it a couple years and it will be fine.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
They should try some reverse psychology. Start posting the pictures from that link all over the place. People will see the crowds and decide to go somewhere else. Give it a couple years and it will be fine.

You know, I don't know if it will ever be fine again. When I was younger we had no money, had to save all year long to take a 1 week vacation and got to go to someplace like Zion or the like. When we got there (or other places like it) it was vacant. It was just you and the landscape. Fantastic. We didn't go anywhere again for a year.

Fast forward to today. I have no idea where people get all the money they seem to have, and there are so many of them that it boggles the mind. The pictures in the link just make me sad to say the least. But there are millions of folks going, doing, wandering around every single day; in what used to be isolated, desolate pristine areas - no more. I think it is a picture of the future however dismal it may be. So, after reading this article I told my wife that beginning in spring after we return from FL we are going to forego going to the places we own and take out to see all the wonderful places I've not taken the time to see - before I can't.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
You know, I don't know if it will ever be fine again. When I was younger we had no money, had to save all year long to take a 1 week vacation and got to go to someplace like Zion or the like. When we got there (or other places like it) it was vacant. It was just you and the landscape. Fantastic. We didn't go anywhere again for a year.

Fast forward to today. I have no idea where people get all the money they seem to have, and there are so many of them that it boggles the mind. The pictures in the link just make me sad to say the least. But there are millions of folks going, doing, wandering around every single day; in what used to be isolated, desolate pristine areas - no more. I think it is a picture of the future however dismal it may be. So, after reading this article I told my wife that beginning in spring after we return from FL we are going to forego going to the places we own and take out to see all the wonderful places I've not taken the time to see - before I can't.
What about the crowds? I vowed when I retired from flying that I would travel America and see things from the ground. I hadn’t taken the crowds into account. Big spoiler for me and the wifey.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

Quote:

We are 'almost' anytimers. We stay home June - August and use the boat as the ocean is not crowded. December we spend with family. The rest of the year we can be anywhere at any time. So many places to go and things to see.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
Canonman

My DW and I enjoy traveling the National parks A LOT! That said, they are more popular than ever and more crowded. We are fortunate that we can schedule our trips either before or after the normal school dates. That helps a lot with crowds. Also, time of day plays a big role.
We also look at locations close to the parks but maybe not quite as well known. For example the area around Bryce Canyon includes places like Red Canyon and Kodachrome Basin. The Ute Tribal Park practically surrounds Mesa Verde and is relatively unknown but with many more ruins. I'm sure other examples exist for most parks. This might be a good Forum Topic where members could ask about and exchange ideas and options for places to visit away from the madding crowds.
Absolutely visit our spectacular National Parks but spending a day or two to "decompress" in areas just as beautiful and a lot less crowded would be good as well, if folks only knew where they were.
Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	14266  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
TyeeMan

I haven't been to that part of the country, , yet. We've been to Yellowstone a few times over the past years and those times were all past the prime travel season. Actually the last visit was late enough that in a coupe days they were going to close the highest pass for the winter!
Anyway, those visits were awesome as we could go anywhere, even Old Faithful with very light crowds.

On the flip side my brother was there a few years ago during prime time and said it was just miserable with all the people.

Up here in Minnesota we favor the state parks along the north shore of Lake Superior. This can be frustrating too especially during this time of year , , prime fall colors.
You used to be able to just show up and possibly get a sight. Now all sites in all parks are reserved on line which is fine , sort of. The problem is folks have there favorite sites and will reserve them for the next year as soon as the State Park web site will let them. It's kind of like hey, what about the rest of us that want to come up here.

Oh well, what is a person to do.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
Oh well, what is a person to do.
If you can't get a site where you like to spend lots of time, maybe buy a couple of acres, dig a well, lay a septic system and place a telephone pole with a 50 amp outlet box??? Use it when you want and rent it out the rest of the year???

A lot of people do that around this area. There's a couple of "2 RV spots with full hookups, a storage shed and picnic tables on a triple lot" type of properties for sale within a couple miles of our house. We're in a "summer and winter outdoor sports area" and there's many more "one week visitors" than there are "permanent residents" in this part of northern Michigan. The last time we were "north of Duluth" it was much the same on both sides of 61 all the way to Grand Portage State Park on the Canadian border.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
TyeeMan

Funny you say that. We live 45 minutes west of the Minneapolis metro area. But our camper lives 2 1/2 hours north in the Brainerd Lakes area on an acre that we have.
That's our go to piece of heaven on earth. Bring the boat and we have access to countless lakes.

That being said, we would like to "get away" some times and get to some of our awesome state parks. Or take our camper over to your neck of the woods and see our reletives in Lansing and Maquette. Incidentally you guys have awesome snowmobiling in the UP!

We're planning on getting a new TT in the spring and are hoping to take to some cool places.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
Bob Landry

A similar story, but not a National Park. My first trip to Monument Vally was about 11 years ago and I did it alone. While I was there, I shot a couple of beautiful panoramas and a few single frame shots at the first turnout(the Mittens and Elephant Butte) and at Artists Point. The entire area was pristine. I entered them and won a couple of digital photo contests so I was pretty pleased with the photos and the trip. I took DW there a few years later, went to the same spot because I wanted her to see what I had seen, and what a surprise. The entire area was trashed and right were I stood to take my shots, the Indian kids had tables set up selling trinkets to the tourists. We did the 17 mile loop through the park and have never been back.
We always planned our vacations in spring and fall when school was in session just so we wouldn't have to put up with crowds, noise, and feral children. That is no longer a workable strategy and we have not been back to a National Park in 5 or 6 years. Fortunately we saw just about all that we wanted to see or that she could get enough time off to travel to, and I have volumes of great photos that I took.
We now frequent the COE parks in Texas. They are all on lakes which works for us since we boat and fish, and the NP Senior pass buys alf price campsites. Plus they are close enough to home to take a long weekend. Occasionally we will wander up to one of the state parks in Arkansas, which are absolutely impeccable.
The National Parks were a highlight of my camping days, but I had sadly closed that chapter in lieu of the quest for that 40lb catfish.
It's sad that our children and grandchildren will never see the parks as we remember them, as the great scenic wonders of our lifetime. I suppose that's the price we pay for progress. On the other hand, they may not bother to leave their video games long enough for it to matter.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
A similar story, but not a National Park. My first trip to Monument Vally was about 11 years ago and I did it alone. While I was there, I shot a couple of beautiful panoramas and a few single frame shots at the first turnout(the Mittens and Elephant Butte) and at Artists Point. The entire area was pristine. I entered them and won a couple of digital photo contests so I was pretty pleased with the photos and the trip. I took DW there a few years later, went to the same spot because I wanted her to see what I had seen, and what a surprise. The entire area was trashed and right were I stood to take my shots, the Indian kids had tables set up selling trinkets to the tourists. We did the 17 mile loop through the park and have never been back.
We always planned our vacations in spring and fall when school was in session just so we wouldn't have to put up with crowds, noise, and feral children. That is no longer a workable strategy and we have not been back to a National Park in 5 or 6 years. Fortunately we saw just about all that we wanted to see or that she could get enough time off to travel to, and I have volumes of great photos that I took.
We now frequent the COE parks in Texas. They are all on lakes which works for us since we boat and fish, and the NP Senior pass buys alf price campsites. Plus they are close enough to home to take a long weekend. Occasionally we will wander up to one of the state parks in Arkansas, which are absolutely impeccable.
The National Parks were a highlight of my camping days, but I had sadly closed that chapter in lieu of the quest for that 40lb catfish.
It's sad that our children and grandchildren will never see the parks as we remember them, as the great scenic wonders of our lifetime. I suppose that's the price we pay for progress. On the other hand, they may not bother to leave their video games long enough for it to matter.

"On the other hand, they may not bother to leave their video games long enough for it to matter."

^^^x2. The above is so sad, but so true.