Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
CrazyCain

DW and I have stayed at a few Wally World Campgrounds in the state of Michigan and always go in and buy a bunch of stuff from them, sort of our payment to them for letting us stay. Our favorite WWCG is the one in Gaylord Mi, right off I 75. Met a really nice couple there when we stayed over night, right JRTJH!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
DW and I have stayed at a few Wally World Campgrounds in the state of Michigan and always go in and buy a bunch of stuff from them, sort of our payment to them for letting us stay. Our favorite WWCG is the one in Gaylord Mi, right off I 75. Met a really nice couple there when we stayed over night, right JRTJH!

You got that right !!! Easy off/easy on to I-75, Bob Evans is in the parking lot for a great breakfast and exactly "one potty break" away from the Mackinac Bridge north side rest area (just beyond the toll booths).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #23
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
Brant,

My son has an indoor riding arena just three miles south of 163 on 108th St. I can park there, but it would basically be boon docking with maybe 120v. I'm trying to locate a place to park for the 18th thru the 25th of next August. Which of course is the Iowa State Fair week.

I tried several, but they closed the first of November and I tried Griff's RV park just north of 80 at Altoona and they seemed very short on time and said no, too many long term people to mess with a person wanting a week lot.

The Walmart question came up because I'll be driving through from Sturgis and Google map says just under 10 hours and I wanted to split it up into two days arriving in Des Moines area early to mid-afternoon. So I would have more than enough time to get into a park and settled in before dark etc.

Tried Adventure Land and they're booked for that time period, but said call back from time to time to see if they get any cancellations. I asked if they have a wait list and he said no. So if there are any cancellations, it's just going to be a luck of the draw that I call when that happens. I guess I'll have to get my crystal ball in for repair...

I wouldn't mind paying for "a" night in the Sioux Falls area, just thought if I were to get there late in the day/evening etc, that it may be hard to get into a park before they shut down for the night. I just thought a parking lot may be convenient.

Here I'm making all these plans and I haven't even spent a night in my rig. I know, that's my fault, but been really busy and didn't plan on purchasing a rig until next spring when this great deal showed up and I could NOT turn it down. So for right now I have it in my subdivision house driveway and doing little things like winterizing, installing the solar panel wiring and controller, hooking up the washer dryer, changing out light bulbs to LEDs, mounting my new B&W Biker Bar this weekend in my Raptor garage for the Harley. I'd like to find another biker bar for my Honda Helix. With the biker bar you do NOT have to do any tie downs, just drive up into the garage and slide into the floor mounted locking mechanism and step off the bike, you're finished. When parked the lower bed mount comes out with just two 5/8" bolts and you can plug the holes and throw the carpet back down on the floor.

Okay, sorry for rambling on and on.

I greatly appreciate the input and the Overnight Parking Etiquette rules. Printed them out and will keep them in the RV.

Thanks again to everyone!

Have a great evening.
What is your son’s arena called? Or his name if you care to share? My family owns Burget Mill, a feed and grain store, similar to Griff’s. Your son might be a customer.

There is also Cutty’s just off the interstate in Grimes. Also two really nice state parks, Yellow Banks and Thomas Michell. They do allow you to dump for a suggested donation if you do end up boondocking. Also have KOA in Adel.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #24
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There's a whole Klan of them, one of my BIL belongs. Every year they travel to the East Coast from CO doing this. At one WM he got yelled at by the cashier for buying 1, yes 1 roll of paper towels and trying to take about 500 plastic bags for his trash. In his mind he "deserved" the bags as a "customer".

Oh, and you want another example? While on this journey he goes into McDonald's and demands that they fill his small ice chest with ice because he read somewhere that it's their policy to do that for diabetics that need to keep their insulin chilled while traveling.

Look up "moocher" in the dictionary and his picture is there.
LMAO
I know some folks are like that, I call them Mr Hainey. They just can't help it. I'm a tad more modest and respect the fact that we're guests.
When I was stuck in the Beavercreek walmart in Ohio, they had a strict no parking policy, but let me stay. I made sure to buy what I needed to try to repair rig from them. Jack stands, levelling blocks, food, water. The security guy was good and checked on us and the rig nightly.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #25
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dan, the Dakota Campground is right at the exit in Mitchell, SD, about your halfway point. $30 a night is what we paid with pull thru sites, and wide open drives. Nice people and a little water park area included. Might be a thought.
We have stayed here a couple of times. I agree - a good place to stay.

If you've never eaten at a Culvers, it was pretty good. Our first introduction was in Mitchell. Also be sure to visit the Corn Palace - not to be missed.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #26
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
<clip>

There's a Yahoo Groups site called "walmartrving". On that site, there's a downloadable PFD listing of all WalMart's that allow overnighting and a partial listing of those that do not allow overnighting. There's also a fairly complete listing of the rules and expectations as well as a "group compiled set of rules on WalMart overnight self imposed guidelines"....
...[/B]
FYI, in case you didn't know, the Yahoo group is going away. On October 20 the following message was sent out from the WalMarRV Yahoo group:

Quote:
Working together with Scott Wilkes, we have come to the following conclusions and decisions:

The coming changes imposed by Yahoo will render Yahoo Groups incompatible with the use and objectives of the WalmartRVing group.

In the last few years there has been continuous improvement in the accessibility, usefulness and accuracy of other sources of overnight RV parking data. A good example is AllStays. It is accessible by browser or apps (iOS and Android).

In the coming weeks, we will produce one final revision to the Walmart Parking List (PDF and XML formats). It will be posted here if possible, but also posted on the companion site:
http://halberstadt.webmate.me/Walmart
That site will remain available for at least 6 months.

Neither Scott nor I desire to move WalmartRVing to another platform, considering the balance of effort and value.

This Yahoo group will be closed shortly after Yahoo removes its files.

I will contact the producers of AllStays to see if any information I have can be used to improve their application. However, I will not transfer the list of members to anyone.

This group was founded by Craig Maynard in late 2005. It currently has the amazing number of 9996 members (many inactive, to be sure). Over the years it has served the RVing public well, with benefit to those who wish to use Walmart (and other) lots, and to Walmart itself, to avoid conflict between RVers and Walmart policies. The contributions and discussions by group members have been instrumental in keeping the resources accurate and usable.

Scott and I thank all of you, and wish you safe travels.

Bill Halberstadt
Co-owner, WalmartRVing

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #27
hornet28

There are quite a few places to stay for a quick overnight Cabelas, Cracker Barrel, rest area and of course truck stops
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #28
rlh1957

Walmart store that stand alone and they are the only tenant in a parking lot usually allow overnight parking if the local ordinance hasn't strapped them down. One problem is if Wal-Mart shares it's parking lot with other stores, strip centers, etc. You will find these types have to follow owners rules.
No Overnight Parking is an ambiguous statement... What is considered overnight? Is the hours of 9pm to 6am overnight? then how is 9am to 6pm or even 8pm considered overnight? Some drivers sleep all day and drive all night, others drive all day and sleep at night. So is this discrimination? Tell the enforcer that I'm not staying overnight... I was getting tired, getting sleepy, I'm afraid I will become a danger to me other drivers. I'm just pulled in here to rest a few hours.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Walmart store that stand alone and they are the only tenant in a parking lot usually allow overnight parking if the local ordinance hasn't strapped them down. One problem is if Wal-Mart shares it's parking lot with other stores, strip centers, etc. You will find these types have to follow owners rules.
No Overnight Parking is an ambiguous statement... What is considered overnight? Is the hours of 9pm to 6am overnight? then how is 9am to 6pm or even 8pm considered overnight? Some drivers sleep all day and drive all night, others drive all day and sleep at night. So is this discrimination? Tell the enforcer that I'm not staying overnight... I was getting tired, getting sleepy, I'm afraid I will become a danger to me other drivers. I'm just pulled in here to rest a few hours.
Doesn't seem too ambiguous to me. Overnight means night time or "non daylight hours". Unfortunately the "criminals" like to work under the cover of darkness as well. Some localities ban RV parking because it's a tourist destination, others due to squatters and crime.

I completely understand the strain on enforcement (both public and private) to keep a safe environment. Having a homeless camp outside of a business will drive customers away.

I also understand that drivers get fatigued and need to rest. What I don't get are folks that spend amazing amounts of money for an RV, tons of money on fuel, and then are to "cheap" to pay for a campground. I don't know, to me it's like going to Disney on vacation and sleeping in the parking lot.

It's a personal choice except when it's against the law. Challenging the law with a LEO could end up with a free room for the night but getting your rig back from the impound lot could be costly. So, personally for the newbies reading this my advice is to follow the "rules" and or laws. They are in place for a reason.
JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #30
acadianeh

Walmart overnight parking

Another way to boondock is by joining "Boondockers Welcome". They have a website. Check them out. You park anywhere from driveways, to farms and open fields. Have not checked if there are any suitable places where you intend to overnight but they're worth a try. It is always a safe place to lay your head down for a night or more depending on the host. Good luck.

Rick
2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
2014 Keystone Hideout
2004 Glendale Titanium (sold)
acadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #31
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

We have homeless camping at our Walmart. They use the bathroom and steal stuff in the store. Regardless of what people think of the poor homeless, they are not nice. Maybe thats just the Ca. homeless
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #32
Local150

I have to agree
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:09 AM   #33
notanlines

Natalie Portman lived in a Walmart in 'Matters of the Heart' and she was nice...
Sorry, but we just needed a little levity here.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #34
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
We have homeless camping at our Walmart. They use the bathroom and steal stuff in the store. Regardless of what people think of the poor homeless, they are not nice. Maybe thats just the Ca. homeless
Not at all, that's everywhere. In Beavercreek, Ohio the Walmart's there don't allow parking either, I saw first hand what they are capable of. I was parked there (broken down) and they started swarming in like seagulls. Security was on them pretty quickly. He explained to us why they had to be on top of it. They were awesome to us, and kept an eye out.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Not at all, that's everywhere. In Beavercreek, Ohio the Walmart's there don't allow parking either, I saw first hand what they are capable of. I was parked there (broken down) and they started swarming in like seagulls. Security was on them pretty quickly. He explained to us why they had to be on top of it. They were awesome to us, and kept an eye out.
I wouldn't count on Walmart security to be of much help at the stores we frequent, they're usually asleep in their little security vehicle parked in the shade somewhere & if not pretty sure even I could out run them without breaking a sweat & I'm old & slow.
Visualize a 300+lb Barney Fife!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #36
BlueJay Traveler

I always call ahead for permission. In the morning I make sure to go to the store and patronize their business. I highly recommend not unhooking. If too many people start doing this type of activity we will all lose our privileges to stay overnight.
BlueJay Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote