Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Walmart Overnight Parking???

Not sure where to post this, but do have a question on the subject.

The wife and I will be going to Sturgis Bike rally in August 2020. We'll be leaving the Hill City SD area on Monday the 17th and will end up in the Des Moines area Tuesday the 18th for another week to spend time with our kids and family.

It's almost a 10 hour drive according to Google Maps and I want to split it up with a night in between. Sioux Falls SD is about half way.

What's the procedure for overnighting at a Walmart parking lot?

Do you need to get permission ahead of time? Obviously it would be boon docking overnight.

Do you normally unhook, level etc for the night? That's not a big deal, but just wondered about putting out the slides when not totally level.

Thanks, Dan
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We've overnighted at WalMart, Cracker Barrel, Love's and TA truck stops. We've NEVER disconnected and most WalMart's that allow overnighting don't allow you to disconnect. We try to park at the lot edge with the slides overhanging the grass (watch for sprinklers, they can destroy the underside of a slide and flood the trailer).

In August, your biggest issue will be air conditioning for a comfortable overnight sleep. I've never seen a WalMart that allows generator use with a "stand alone generator". Running one in a motorhome is completely different and you'll hear them if you walk past the "camping area" at most WalMart's.

The process is to park (usually where you see other RV's) and go inside to the Customer Service desk. Ask about overnight parking. They will either tell you the "local rules and where to park" or they'll call a manager who will give you the information.

Keep in mind that there is a growing number of locations where overnight parking is not permitted. So, be sure to inquire before going to sleep. I'd suspect it's no fun to be sound asleep and at 2AM, get a knock on the door from the "just coming on shift security guard" informing you that you've got to leave or be towed......

There's a Yahoo Groups site called "walmartrving". On that site, there's a downloadable PFD listing of all WalMart's that allow overnighting and a partial listing of those that do not allow overnighting. There's also a fairly complete listing of the rules and expectations as well as a "group compiled set of rules on WalMart overnight self imposed guidelines"....

You can read the "WalMart Corporate Policy" here: https://corporate.walmart.com/freque...walmart-stores

"Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Dan Lockwood

John, thanks again for coming in with some great information.

I'll do some more research and see if I can get a list like you've mentioned.

Thanks and have a great afternoon in MI's Up North!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Walnuts

Not on your route but a good fyi, I just called (11/06/19) the Walmart in Charleston SC, overnight staying in the parking lot is NOT allowed.
However, Cabella next door does allow.
Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking of Cabella's. Many Bass Pro and Cabella's locations have overnight RV parking space. Some Cabella's even have a dump station and a few limited electric hookups. The ones I've seen are 15 amp, but it's enough to at least keep the batteries charged and watch TV a bit before bed, shower in the morning and still leave with empty holding tanks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Northofu1

Allstays , and RV Trip Wizard have pretty good systems for walmarts. Allstays Red W means no, Yellow W means read the reviews. Asking is manager is wise. Never unhook. Slide open just enough to get to washroom. Truckers are getting miffed about rv'ers "stealing" their spots at truck and rest stops.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Canonman

I understand the question was regarding rules for "Walmart" overnighting. This may also be an alternative: https://freecampsites.net/#!Sioux+Fa...+United+States
I've used this web site and found the reviews and recommendations reliable.
We really enjoyed our time in SD, stayed in a great spot at Custer State Park.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=775
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
K_N_L

The Pilot / Flying J at 5201 N Granite Ln, Sioux Falls, SD 57107 has a nice RV parking area (out in front) with RV fueling lanes. It fills in pretty quickly but we stopped there for the night before running down I-90 to Sturgis.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
notanlines

Dan, the Dakota Campground is right at the exit in Mitchell, SD, about your halfway point. $30 a night is what we paid with pull thru sites, and wide open drives. Nice people and a little water park area included. Might be a thought.
We've stayed at many Walmarts, but never unhook and only put the bedroom slide out. We call or ask first and then park where we're told. I prefer to park where the trucks park and the noise is not a problem to us.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Brantlyj

If you need a place to put your rig for the week your in Des Moines I might be able to help you out.
I keep mine at our families business and could probably make some room if needed.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Customer1

Here is the "Good Neighbor Policy" adopted by many groups as a suggestion regarding overnighting in parking lots. No rules, just recommendation.

https://www.escapees.com/wp-content/...etter-0419.pdf
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #12
Roscommon48

bottom line, you may not know until you get there.

you have 2 options, ask at the service desk or not.

good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
Slapshoot

I just checked the Walmart’s in RV Parky and it appears there is no overnight parking in Sioux Falls, SD.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
travelin texans

I have a couple of opinions on this subject; #1 Walmart makes a ton of money selling anything/everything you could need/want all across the country, #2 the local RV parks/campgrounds depend on travelers passing through to stay open.
My opinion is if you're arriving late & leaving early Walmart would be ok, if arriving early you'll want your slides out to have dinner, this to me you should pay the RV park fee, If you arrive early afternoon pay the local RV park then unhook & go shop at Walmart.
I have a cheap a## brother in law that has plenty of money but while traveling between destinations stays (camps) at WM, stops early afternoon, slides, chairs & awning out, just to save a few bucks, this to me is absolutely wrong.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I have a couple of opinions on this subject; #1 Walmart makes a ton of money selling anything/everything you could need/want all across the country, #2 the local RV parks/campgrounds depend on travelers passing through to stay open.
My opinion is if you're arriving late & leaving early Walmart would be ok, if arriving early you'll want your slides out to have dinner, this to me you should pay the RV park fee, If you arrive early afternoon pay the local RV park then unhook & go shop at Walmart.
I have a cheap a## brother in law that has plenty of money but while traveling between destinations stays (camps) at WM, stops early afternoon, slides, chairs & awning out, just to save a few bucks, this to me is absolutely wrong.
I would say that this is how my mind works also. Now I am scared, there is another in the world that thinks like I do.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I would say that this is how my mind works also. Now I am scared, there is another in the world that thinks like I do.

Make that 3!!! Now I"M scared!! As I've said before I can either afford to travel or not. While traveling or any other time in my life I don't borrow, impose, take advantage of or try to benefit off the good will of others - just don't do it at any time. Don't have negative opinions of those that do it's just not my style.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #17
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I second that, I only use these stops as a way to rest after a long drive. Arrive late / leave early.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #18
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I have avoided doing the Walmart thing. If you call a campground and tell them you don't need hookups than they might not charge you much. I am not a fan of parking lots at night.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:04 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I second that, I only use these stops as a way to rest after a long drive. Arrive late / leave early.
There's a whole Klan of them, one of my BIL belongs. Every year they travel to the East Coast from CO doing this. At one WM he got yelled at by the cashier for buying 1, yes 1 roll of paper towels and trying to take about 500 plastic bags for his trash. In his mind he "deserved" the bags as a "customer".

Oh, and you want another example? While on this journey he goes into McDonald's and demands that they fill his small ice chest with ice because he read somewhere that it's their policy to do that for diabetics that need to keep their insulin chilled while traveling.

Look up "moocher" in the dictionary and his picture is there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
If you need a place to put your rig for the week your in Des Moines I might be able to help you out.
I keep mine at our families business and could probably make some room if needed.
Brant,

My son has an indoor riding arena just three miles south of 163 on 108th St. I can park there, but it would basically be boon docking with maybe 120v. I'm trying to locate a place to park for the 18th thru the 25th of next August. Which of course is the Iowa State Fair week.

I tried several, but they closed the first of November and I tried Griff's RV park just north of 80 at Altoona and they seemed very short on time and said no, too many long term people to mess with a person wanting a week lot.

The Walmart question came up because I'll be driving through from Sturgis and Google map says just under 10 hours and I wanted to split it up into two days arriving in Des Moines area early to mid-afternoon. So I would have more than enough time to get into a park and settled in before dark etc.

Tried Adventure Land and they're booked for that time period, but said call back from time to time to see if they get any cancellations. I asked if they have a wait list and he said no. So if there are any cancellations, it's just going to be a luck of the draw that I call when that happens. I guess I'll have to get my crystal ball in for repair...

I wouldn't mind paying for "a" night in the Sioux Falls area, just thought if I were to get there late in the day/evening etc, that it may be hard to get into a park before they shut down for the night. I just thought a parking lot may be convenient.

Here I'm making all these plans and I haven't even spent a night in my rig. I know, that's my fault, but been really busy and didn't plan on purchasing a rig until next spring when this great deal showed up and I could NOT turn it down. So for right now I have it in my subdivision house driveway and doing little things like winterizing, installing the solar panel wiring and controller, hooking up the washer dryer, changing out light bulbs to LEDs, mounting my new B&W Biker Bar this weekend in my Raptor garage for the Harley. I'd like to find another biker bar for my Honda Helix. With the biker bar you do NOT have to do any tie downs, just drive up into the garage and slide into the floor mounted locking mechanism and step off the bike, you're finished. When parked the lower bed mount comes out with just two 5/8" bolts and you can plug the holes and throw the carpet back down on the floor.

Okay, sorry for rambling on and on.

I greatly appreciate the input and the Overnight Parking Etiquette rules. Printed them out and will keep them in the RV.

Thanks again to everyone!

Have a great evening.