Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
ADQ K9

What do you keep in your RV? Summer and Winter storage

So just thinking about de-winterizing the Tumbleweed and setting it up for summer when I come back from my next hitch.
We pretty much pull everything out for the winter with the exception of bed linens, dishes, some tools and other small items specific to the trailer.
For summer we keep non perishable food and toiletries in it between trips. I was also thinking about clothes too just to make departure quicker when we leave for a trip. That way all we would have to do is fire up and load the fridge and fill the fresh water. How do you set yours up for the summer?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 AM   #2
rhagfo

Well before we started to full time, we would keep the 5er ready to go! We had about a weeks worth of both summer and winter cloths in the closets. The bed was always made fresh sheets after each trip. Non perishable food all cloths worn during the trip taken home washed and returned. Propane tank refilled this all during the week following the trip. We kept the 5er in a storage lot about two miles from our house.
When heading out for a trip the house refer contents were placed in the ice chest and taken to the 5er.
Best time ever was 1 hour and 15 minuets from me leaving work (5 miles from house) to come home, place hitch in truck, and air up the tires, empty the refer, grab dog and bed. Then drive the two miles to the storage lot, hook up and be leaving the lot!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think much of "pre season loading" depends as much on WHERE your trailer is stored as it does on convenience for quick departures. Spring is the "nesting season" for many rodents and they look for nesting materials, easy, quick food sources, comfortable, warm surroundings in which to "set up house for the babies"....

If your RV is stored in a location where there are lots of fields (also lots of field mice) then it may not be a great idea to "start loading early"... On the other hand, if you don't have a rodent population to keep at bay, heck yeah, spend the time loading those things that will make a quicker departure after snowmelt possible....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

When we get back to TX in April we will unload all the food; cold, perishable, canned...everything. We also take out all our clothes, laptops, dehumidifier....well, lots of stuff. We leave cookware, dishes, silverware, bed linens (washed, folded and placed in airtight vacuum bags), leave the mattress saver on the bed and cover with the original bedspread that came with the unit, some tools, paper plates, paper towels, toilet tissue, brushes/combs/toothbrushes etc. (remove all soaps/toothpaste/other toiletry items) then put in storage facility.

2 weeks before departing (for long winter trip - about 4 days before shorter trips) we bring in the trailer and go through it with a thorough top to bottom inside cleaning (I do the exterior at the storage facility as well as air tires, battery mtce. etc. - puppy hates a compressor). Then we put in all the stuff we removed above and recheck the operation of everything. About 3 days before departure I turn on the fridge, get it cooled down and load directly from our fridge/freezers in the house into the RV.

In the periods of not using is when I do various spot checks, lube things, repaint if necessary, clean the battery/propane tank trays etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Logan X

One of the benefits of living in Southern California is it is RV season year around. We are fortunate to have space to park our trailer in the backyard. This makes it easy to clean and maintain the trailer. I keep the trailer loaded with the bed made, non perishable food, the fridge running most of the time, some water in the fresh water tank, dishes and cookware, and emergency supplies. When it is time to take a trip, we just load up clothes and food. If there is ever a natural disaster or emergency situation, God forbid, we can take off in the trailer very quickly. After each trip, I take the time to restock the trailer, clean the sheets, etc. every month or two I clean the the trailer on the inside and about every six months I wash and wax it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
ADQ K9

I should have been more specific what next hitch means, I work 21 days on and get 21 days off,so that puts me back home on the 15th of April. Temps usually stay above freezing and most of the major snow is gone here in Anchortown about that time. The trailer is stored a few blocks from my house. John you have a good point about rodents. Danny, temps here don't get really that hot in the summer to warrant pulling all of the food out, but I understand your reasoning. Russ I aim to become as efficient as you hopefully . Thats not bad timing
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #7
maccam1

Winter ft is stored in building at nearby fairgrounds.i take everything out except,dishes, pot and pans and small appliances
Summer I keep it at home,where I have shore power,I leave clothes,towels,sheets,paper products in all summer.all food items
Come out after every trip.
3 days before going away always turn on fridge,then have it loaded evening before travel.
Sheets,towels clothes are washed and put right back into tt.
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
larryflew

We have pretty much doubled up everything so we only remove freezables and empty the fridge.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter