Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Vern, congrats to you. That is a fine trailer. Be sure to keep us posted on your learning curve. Itll help us all. And do stick around. We kind of like you here. Besides, the Grand Design site is slow compared to us!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #22
notanlines

Vern, with you starting out with a long-bed I would say 65% of the learning is moot. Use of a slider, and worry that the nose would damage the cap, are all items that are generally not involved. It would be my opinion that the only thing a little different is the act of backing up and certainly backing a short-tongue motorcycle trailer with a short wheel-base vehicle is considerably more difficult to master.
Man, I don't see how you can just sit back and wait another week to get this beast. If you drove up there, won't they let you at least spend the week in their yard until the weather breaks?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #23
roadglide

That's 20 k GVWR excess payload is a wonderful thing at 441/2 feet it's a beast . It's just a bit more resurch for parking unless your in Bouse Az where there is a lot of BLM. The amazing sxs adventures have fun .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #24
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Vern, with you starting out with a long-bed I would say 65% of the learning is moot. Use of a slider, and worry that the nose would damage the cap, are all items that are generally not involved. It would be my opinion that the only thing a little different is the act of backing up and certainly backing a short-tongue motorcycle trailer with a short wheel-base vehicle is considerably more difficult to master.
Man, I don't see how you can just sit back and wait another week to get this beast. If you drove up there, won't they let you at least spend the week in their yard until the weather breaks?
Jim, the only thing I can say in my defense is...I've learned to have more patience as I've grown older....but it's killing me that I'm not going this weekend to pick it up. I'm old enough...and an Electrician, that one of my favorite sayings is...."Rome wasn't wired up in a day!"
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #25
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
That's 20 k GVWR excess payload is a wonderful thing at 441/2 feet it's a beast . It's just a bit more resurch for parking unless your in Bouse Az where there is a lot of BLM. The amazing sxs adventures have fun .
And this, is the exact reason I bought the Dually instead of the SRW 1 Ton when I traded truck in 2016......I was hoping this day would come!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #26
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Vern, congrats to you. That is a fine trailer. Be sure to keep us posted on your learning curve. Itll help us all. And do stick around. We kind of like you here. Besides, the Grand Design site is slow compared to us!
Thanks Chip....we're really hoping it's going to be a good one. We came very close to buying a Raptor 426TH, but they don't have a dinette arrangement in them....and a couple other things that caused us to go with the Momentum. We've been well pleased with our Keystone, we just wanted something that works better for us and more room.

Oh, and you're right, the G.D. Forum is a little less active than here it seems to me.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #27
Tbos

Since you have to wait to pick it up you might consider telling the dealer you are giving them extra time to fix the things you’ll find during the PDI.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
whcarr

Towing the 5s is a game changer, like everyone says. Keep your turns wide, and backing takes some getting used to. But they are so much more maneuverable in tight quarters. And the stability when towing is just awesome. Enjoy
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #29
Cattail

Murvil

Hello Murvil. My wife is a Blount County Expat. She lived out from Louisville past the Light Pink Baptist Church down at the end of Gravelly Hills Road. I lived on the Concord side of the river but her parents let me use a rowboat they kept near Concord to pick her up and take her home when we were dating. I was lucky not to have gotten run down by a barge on those late night return trips. Those were the days!
Cattail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #30
Modifier

Hi xrated, let me know the first time you pull your new rig fron Mirvil to Elkmont or G'burg up the Little River road. I want to be sure to get out of the way. Taking your rig on Wears Valley road might be fun too! Have fun anyway.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #31
Chris P

Of course you have to stay around, especially with a name like xrated ! Congratulations on your New Camper.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #32
pdaniel

I too will be giving up my Cougar tomorrow, Feb 25, for a new Grand Design Solitude. We have enjoyed the time spent in our Cougar but found ourselves wanting an extended stay RV and the Solitude fit the bill, both RV and price.
I have enjoyed reading the forum and found much sage and wise advice.
I hope I will be able to stay also.
Cheers.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #33
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattail View Post
Hello Murvil. My wife is a Blount County Expat. She lived out from Louisville past the Light Pink Baptist Church down at the end of Gravelly Hills Road. I lived on the Concord side of the river but her parents let me use a rowboat they kept near Concord to pick her up and take her home when we were dating. I was lucky not to have gotten run down by a barge on those late night return trips. Those were the days!
LOL, and the good news is....you survived your youth.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #34
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifier View Post
Hi xrated, let me know the first time you pull your new rig fron Mirvil to Elkmont or G'burg up the Little River road. I want to be sure to get out of the way. Taking your rig on Wears Valley road might be fun too! Have fun anyway.
Uh, NO! I've been through that area in my truck and also on the motorcycle, I'm not seeing me pulling the new 5ver across the little river road....and I'd have to check out Wears Valley Road before I did it.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #35
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Of course you have to stay around, especially with a name like xrated ! Congratulations on your New Camper.
Thank you sir....the name sounds a lot worse than it is....it's from my first every forum days...a motorcycle that was the Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird...so I became xrated.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #36
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
I too will be giving up my Cougar tomorrow, Feb 25, for a new Grand Design Solitude. We have enjoyed the time spent in our Cougar but found ourselves wanting an extended stay RV and the Solitude fit the bill, both RV and price.
Cheers.
Congratulations on the new Solitude....and many happy trails and times.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post

Cheers.
Same here. Trading our Cougar for a Solitude 377mbs. Which model are you getting?

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #38
xrated

UPDATE:

1. We left Friday, March 1st to pick up the new Toy Hauler and when we got home Saturday evening, the RV port that I had taken a deposit on, was totally gone and a check for the remaining balance was in an envelope under the mat on the front porch....smooth as could have gone. Wow.

2. So we drove down there Friday morning/afternoon and it turned out to be a little over 7 hours down, going around Nashville on I-840 was a smart move as google maps showed traffic going thru Nashville of nothing but RED and yellow lines....meaning traffic from wall to wall. Anyway, got there and did a pretty thorough PDI on the new trailer, then paperwork, then a lesson on hitching/unhitching. Remember, this one is my first ever 5ver and I was gut wrenching nervous, but we made it through the process. So, then we drove all the way to a campground that I'd reservations at (about 1/10 of a mile away.) and proceeded to unhitch and spend the night there so we didn't have to make the long drive both ways in the same day. So then I discovered an issue with the rear door screen door. Someone had jammed/forced the plastic slide past the stop and broke it, plus the latch on the door frame for the screen door. I called them (15 minutes until their closing time) and Joe, the guy that did my PDI with me drove a golf cart over to take a look at it. We decided it would just be easier to replace the entire screen door that to mess with "pieces" of it. So Sat. morning we were over there when they opened and they took care of it in about 10 minutes. Joe had gone back over there Friday evening, took a new door off of another unit and had it sitting there waiting for us Saturday morning....Nice.

Friday evening while I was unhitched and at the campground, I had gone to get us some supper and re-fuel the truck so we were ready to go on Saturday. I know that everyone talks about how easy towing a 5ver is compared to a tow behind, and I have to agree 100%. Talk about smooth and easy, and the new B&W Companion hitch (25K) really tows well with very little chucking....at least as far as I can tell.

So I have been worried to death the past week or so about making the turn from the hard road and down onto the gravel road to the house. My neighbor Rick, told me that when we got home he would be happy to meet us up there and be another set of eyes while I tried to make the turn. I had mailboxes on one side of the street and if I turned in too sharply, there are some water meter boxes that I for sure didn't want to run over with the trailer wheels. So, manned with walkie-talkies, Peggy watched the mailbox clearances, and Rick watched my bed rail clearance and the water boxes as I VERY slowly started in.....creeping through my turn. Great news! The rear of the trailer missed by mailboxes by about 6', the bed rail clearance was not an issue, and the water meter boxes were missed by about 5-6'. All my worry and gut wrenching stomach hurting was for naught.....thank goodness.

So anyway, here are a couple of pics from Friday and then Friday evening at the campsight.....

Rossi seems to be OK with the new digs...

I have to say, it was a long two day trip and everyone was pretty happy to be back home. The trailer is landed mostly on the gravel pad where the other trailer lived.....and it's raining AGAIN today, so I probably won't do too much except maybe go out there and get the zipper bag that has all the trailer paperwork/owners manuals in them and do some reading.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #39
Chris P

Wow! What a beautiful rig, that is huge, Congratulations Vernon! That camper is so big it made your rotwieller look small. [emoji16]
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #40
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Wow! What a beautiful rig, that is huge, Congratulations Vernon! That camper is so big it made your rotwieller look small. [emoji16]
Thank you, we are very happy with our decision, as we just needed more room.
I've got about a year to do until retirement, and my wife is already retired, so more travelling and longer stays are in our future and the Impact was just a bit too small to spend more than a few days or so, in. Well, he's actually a Toy Manchester Terrier, but from a looks standpoint, they look very similar to a "Min-Pin". He is just ate up with "FOMO". That is...Fear Of Missing Out. Nothing gets by his eyes, ears, and nose....and he can even be falling down tired, but just refuses to let anything escape him......full FOMO for sure.