Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I'm still wanting to know where these slide motors are located. Are they above the slide or under it? How do you get to them? Again, this topic is new to me. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Thanks

These pans are being used under the motors of cable driven slides. The motor is located above the slide in the center.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #22
sandy43

chuckster57, thanks for replying. I have 2 hydraulic slides and 1 electric slide, no cables. So, do I not have this potential problem?

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

No you don’t!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #24
sandy43

Many Thanks.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #25
naswat

I have a 2018 Fuzion and had the same issue. Seems like hydraulic fluid drips down from the motor on the membrane and totally wrinkles it up. I was unable to look underneath the spill to see if it damaged the roof structure under the membrane. Your dealer has a lot to do with how it is repaired and the relationship they have with Keystone. I have been fighting with them for months now.
naswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by naswat View Post
I have a 2018 Fuzion and had the same issue. Seems like hydraulic fluid drips down from the motor on the membrane and totally wrinkles it up. I was unable to look underneath the spill to see if it damaged the roof structure under the membrane. Your dealer has a lot to do with how it is repaired and the relationship they have with Keystone. I have been fighting with them for months now.

If your slide(s) are hydraulic, the lines and actuating piston is underneath the floor, do hydraulic fluid can’t drip onto the roof membrane. These drip pans are for electric motors/gearboxes used on cable actuated slides.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
opienva1

I jut checked my 2 slides tonight on my Impact 311 that I got in June. Yep leaking. What can I clean the oil up with? I’ll put the pans on myself. It is only wrinkled on the slide at the interior most side.
opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #28
MarkEHansen

If I were you, I would take it in for warranty repair. I think the slide roof will need to be replaced/repaired. It may be easier to get this done if the dealer can see the motor actually leaking. JMHO.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #29
moodman

My 2018 with 5 slides leaked on all five. It bubbled up on all of them.
Solution? Technicians cut out the bubbled roof (not repairable) section and replaced it with Eternabond that was beveled at the edges so it would slide under the rubber outer seals without damaging them. Make sure they do that part of the repair for sure, not just slap a piece of Eternabond on it. The tape HAS to be beveled!
An entire slide roof replacement, while nice, really isn't necessary. But hey, if your dealer will do it, by all means! I believe the drip pans are a poor fix, but as it was explained to me, the oil in the gearboxes, after leaking, reaches a level where they don't leak anymore because the oil inside is beneath the o-ring seal that seals the shaft coming out of the gearbox.
It was further explained that the reason they are leaking is because their supplier who makes the gearboxes changed the original design and used a different sealing method and/or inferior parts. That, combined with the particular oil used inside is what causes them to leak. No doubt this has been addressed internally at Keystone with their supplier (I hope so anyway!)
I used to work at a manufacturer that made air conditioners. The supplier that made rubber belts for a fan used inferior material that stretched. EVERY customer that bought these units had failures. My company had to send out teams to the customers, since the units were permanently mounted, take them apart and put on the correct belts. It cost the company millions of $$$.
You can bet this is costing Keystone. Of course they don't want to spend more than they have to. But a warranty is a warranty, so you need to be satisfied with whatever repair is done on your unit. I am OK with the Eternabond, but I could have insisted on a new roof. That would have taken more time than was acceptable to me. Your patience may be different! Good luck!!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

What did they do to “bevel” the edge of the eternabond? Just asking....

Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
toolscott

My new 2019 Cougar half ton 25res has drip pans on gear box's on both slides.
toolscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
jayhancock

Good to know they acknowledged the problem, what a PITA it was. Make sure to flood test everything after a couple of trips, we had the kitchen sink line come loose at top of gray and a black flush line leak develop at top of black tank. Thank god I bought extended warranty.
jayhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #33
rsv4pilot

Drip pan installed..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	21529

Putting this post together took longer then installing the drip pan.

While I was back there I added a few screws to the inside seal, the left side of the seal on the wardrobe slide had pulled away from the wall and was just hanging there. I guess they think the seal will stick to the wall.

Also found where they had screwed the horizontal seal on the kitchen slide through one of the slide wires pinning it up against the wall, wonder how long that would have taken to frey and fail. Thanks Keystone........

Glad I didn’t spend a day taking it to the dealership.

Now to patch the roof where it bubbled.

I reached out to Norco and had the drip pans two days later. Ask for Michelle, she can tell you all about the issue with the “improved” gear box design.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #34
jefff944

How were you able to access the motor? The distance between the slide roof and the ceiling is to narrow to access. Looks like the fascia on the front of the slide needs to be pulled. I the correct way to access and if so, how do you remove it. Thanks, Jeff
jefff944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #35
opienva1

Mine had apart on the interior in the middle with2 screws holding it in place.
opienva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #36
rsv4pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefff944 View Post
How were you able to access the motor? The distance between the slide roof and the ceiling is to narrow to access. Looks like the fascia on the front of the slide needs to be pulled. I the correct way to access and if so, how do you remove it. Thanks, Jeff

Two screws held mine in place.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #37
Texcoonazz

2018 Raptor Slide Motor Leak Damage

Took my new 2018 Raptor(new older stock) into the dealer to have a few items fixed under warranty. During the walk around we noticed the electric motor on the main slide leaked oil onto the roof and we had a bubble. Little discouraged by this because I asked the tech guy that did the walk thru with me 45 days ago when we picked it up if my unit had the problematic motors installed. I knew about the problem prior and suggested installing pans. His looked at the motors and said they were fine and were not the problem motors. Really wish I had of went with my instincts and installed the pans or put something in place to catch the oil.

Dealer said they have a fix where that install a strip across the defect area. Is this the tape everyone is talking about? What is confidence in this method over the normal life of the roof? If not mistaken the roof is supposed to last 20-25yrs. Is the repair method being implemented just a band aid to get the unit past the warranty period? OR is it a real fix.

I am a little OCD and just knowing that there is a bandaid does not set well with me.
Texcoonazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #38
GaryUT

Have they corrected the problem gearboxes on the 2019 models, or at least put drip pans on at the factory?
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #39
moodman

The problem has to do with the motor supplier for Keystone. This was relayed to me that the motor manufacturer used a new type of rubber O-ring for the shaft that comes out of the motor. There is a sump where oil resides, kind of like an oil pan in an engine. The oil in there is filled above the level of the O-ring and some of it leaks out. Once the oil has leaked below the O-ring, it will stop leaking. The pans are temporary until that happens, so they won't continue to leak forever.
But this begs the question about what will happen if the oil is no longer lubricating the shaft because it has leaked below the shaft. Time will tell, but I predict there will be failures of the motors in time when this happens. Mark my words. It is inevitable.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #40
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
Have they corrected the problem gearboxes on the 2019 models, or at least put drip pans on at the factory?

Well I just got back from checking the trailer at the storage yard.

The bedroom slide has a drip pan under it, it does not look like the other ones in this thread though.

The dinette slide DOES NOT have a drip pan, and has leaked onto the roof membrane.

Needless to say I am not pleased with Keystone at this point. Now to try and get this into the dealer.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide