Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Froglaw

I'm going this summer too. Pulling out in Mid-June from Dallas.

I can't wait.

Froglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Pete A.

One person with one truck and trailer

Pete A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #23
KC10Chief

I used to live in Anchorage and have driven the Alaska highway several times. The last time in 2013. I've never done it with an RV but it's definitely in the plans! It's remote but you won't be truly alone. You'll see plenty of other drivers out there. If you break down, you're going to have a big problem. But you're not going to die of starvation or anything. Take a lot of bug spray and bug wash. If you did have a problem where you had to be outside your rig for a bit, even to change a tire, the mosquitos in some places will haul you away and drain you dry. I'd have no less than two spare tires for your trailer. Other than that, it's mostly paved. It will be gravel in areas where they're doing construction. It was pretty good all the way to Whitehorse. West of Whitehorse, the frost heaves can get bad. And they're hard to see until you're right on top of them. Keep the speed reasonable. I saw a Class C motorhome get airborne out there in 2011.

Now, do NOT go all the way to Alaska and pass up Banff National Park in Canada. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Jasper is a great place to stay. Glacier National Park in Montana is incredible too. You'd need to unhitch and drive up the Going to the Sun road. That doesn't open until July usually. Lots of great RV camping to be had in that part of the world. I've found that crossing into Canada, the bigger, busier border crossings are better. You don't want to come across a bored border control agent there.

The longest stretch you'll encounter is between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake. It's a long ways and there is only one fuel stop at the Northern Rockies Lodge at Muncho Lake in far northern British Colombia. This is a MUST stop and camp type of place. Absolutely beautiful there and the lodge is incredible. They have some awesome RV spots too. It's pricey and the fuel is very expensive but you may have no other choice depending on your range. The last time I did the drive in 2013, we were in a sedan. We left Watson Lake headed for Fort Nelson. Fuel prices were high everywhere at the time. We made it to the lodge and the fuel prices there worked out to be almost $9 a gallon! I elected to keep on going to Fort Nelson where it was a much more reasonable $5 a gallon. My low fuel light was on for 60 miles and my wife was ticked. There's definitely a margin of error built into those lights! HA! Gas prices are a lot cheaper now but expect to pay a lot more in remote Canada.

When you get to Watson Lake, stop real quick and take some photos at the signpost forest and then keep on moving. It's a pretty rednecky place. HA! I'd recommend making the push from Muncho Lake where the Northern Rockies Lodge is, and getting to Whitehorse. Whitehorse is a great town and worth spending a few days even. Also, don't pass up Liard Hot Springs. It's about 40 miles from Watson Lake if I remember right. Not sure if they have RV camping or not. It would be a long day to get from Muncho Lake to Whitehorse with a stop at Liard hot springs. But Liard is great. I believe there is RV camping in the area. Not sure. Might be some boon docking. I'd say it's 8 or 9 hours to get from Muncho Lake to Whitehorse. Only thing in between is Watson Lake. I'm not sure if anything good happens there.

Once you get to Alaska, there's plenty to do! RV camping everywhere. I'd recommend the spit down in Homer. Seward is great too. Anywhere on the Kenai peninsula. Humans just don't live long enough lives to experience all that Alaska has to offer.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #24
hornet28

Some neighbors used to live in Homer. He has a bumper sticker that says "Homer a drinking village with a fishing problem".
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #25
DucBill

I hope to make the trip this summer as well if my DWs medical issues get resolved thanks for the info. PS KC10chief I worked at MD in Long Bch when the first ones started getting to fuel pit and flight line what a mess they were, the Air Force was about to cancel the contract due to poor quality. Hope they were better after delivery. Hard to believe they're already 40yrs old now and still flying. Boom room was a nice feature compared to standing on your head like in KC135. Thanks your service.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #26
siberian

Forgot to add, get a copy of the Milepost. An invaluable guide

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
66joej

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow"

love this one, siberian!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition