Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
{tpc}

What size grease seals?

Ok so the plan, despite the weather being a pita, is to service the wheel bearings this weekend. With it being a holiday weekend, some places might be closed so I am going to attempt to buy everything I need today, and a buddy of mine is going to help with the process.

I am going to make the assumption that I won't have grease all over the brakes. I am sure this assumption is wrong because well, just my kind of luck, but whatever.

That said, I will be going out to the trailer, where all the documentation is located in a effort to determine what size axles I have so I can get the correct grease seals. From what I remember, they are dexter axles. From what I can gather off the internet, they are probably the 3500 lb axles.

So the question is, where can I find the information I need to get the correct seals without pulling off the assembly first? Would I be able to find in the documentation somewhere? If the tags are still on the axle is a picture of that sufficient to take to the local auto parts store to find the seals?

I looked on etrailer and they list a replacement bearing for my trailer with a 3500 lb axle that has an ID of 1.063 inches. However the smallest grease seal shown on the dexter website is an ID of 1.50 inches, hence my confusion.

Also, do I need one "kit" of "two" seals per wheel? Or would it be just one seal per wheel? Or maybe now that I think about it, one "kit" of two may be for one axle? And each axle has 2 wheels, so 2 seals..
Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
Bostongone

Below is the information for my 3500# axles. The first line is my tag information, the next group is the bearing info and the last is a double lip seal, one only per wheel.
Axle T35 3 date 134 07, slr 316mm, 3500 lbs, al-ko-kober
Bearings, cup/cone p/n inner L68111/L68149, Dexter kit p/n K71-390-00, outer L44610/L44649, Dexter kit p/n K71-306-00
Grease seal National #473366 preferred for double seal and spring.
Bostongone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

I called etrailer and talked with the sales tech. I gave them all of the information I had on my trailer(year,size wheels ect..) and axles (weight and numbers stamped).
I ordered 4 sets of seals,bearings and races. Put them in a box with grease,rags and special tools. As a tip posted on here a while back,I carry it in the trailer full-time. When it comes time for service I will have everything I need. If that service is on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, I will have all the parts necessary, for me or the guy I hire to do the install.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
gearhead

Call Dexter with your numbers off the paper tag on the axle. They will give you correct info. I have used generic OReilly's Auto Parts seals, but the last time I rebuilt my hubs I ordered Dexter seals from Amazon as well as Timken bearings. I'm not sure if Dexter will sell retail on the phone, but I would try if you have them on the phone already.
Buy an extra seal in case you bugger one up installing them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Or stick the wrong bearing in and put the seal on.

Go on. Ask me how I know this one.

I picked mine up at the local Lordco, but had one pulled for comparison.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Call Dexter with your numbers off the paper tag on the axle. They will give you correct info. I have used generic OReilly's Auto Parts seals, but the last time I rebuilt my hubs I ordered Dexter seals from Amazon as well as Timken bearings. I'm not sure if Dexter will sell retail on the phone, but I would try if you have them on the phone already.
Yes, Dexter will sell their products by phone order, though they can be a bit pricey compared to shopping around. I had to order an entire backing plate brake assembly, plus the drum/hub assembly, and a few extra parts a few years ago, and they were very helpful to make sure they sent the correct parts. I had to do this due to a failed outer bearing. I was fortunate that the spindle was not damaged when this happened.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 AM   #7
{tpc}

Well I ended up calling dexter with the information of the axle tag which luckily was still attached. Found a local distributor, and was able to purchase the seals through them. Was a bit tricky on the part #, took them a minute but figured it out.

Ended up doing one wheel at a time. Job went smooth despite a little rain towards the end. Was sore for a few days after, but its done. Surprisingly or maybe not, all bearings looked good, no grease pushed past seal into brakes or anything like that. And over $200 in savings from having a local "mobile" trailer guy come out and do it. I think total cost was $23 after all was said and done. And now I know how it works!

Tags
grease