Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #1
TimC.

Roof Work

I bought a lightly used 2021 Springdale Mini 1740RK last spring. I am planning on installing 2 solar panels on the roof soon for my off grid times. The camper does not have a ladder which may indicate the builder doesn't want anyone on the roof.

If I use a piece of plywood to help distribute my weight, do you think I will be able to get on the roof to do this work? I'd hate to do all the install work while being on a ladder.

Thanks
TimC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you use plywood to spread your weight, be sure to pad the bottom with carpet or ??? so the edges of the plywood won't damage your TPO roof membrane.

Many of us use a couple of 2' square sheets of the "2 inch thick pink rigid foam". It's softer, crushes at the edges and corners and is much less likely to damage the TPO.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:03 PM   #3
dutchmensport

If you get on your roof and feel around, you'll find the roof joists. Depending on your weight, you probably can stand directly over the joists. It's that gap between the joists that will crack if you step there. The joists themselves will hold your weight, its the very, very thin plywood sheeting that used and the wide gap between the joists that's the issue.

If placing a sheet of plywood on the roof, you want to make sure the plywood spans at least 2 of these joists. All you have to do is push down on the roof and you'll feel the soft and the hard spots. The hard spots are the joists.

I've had 3 campers that did not have walkable roofs. But I was able to walk on them all because I was careful to stand directly over the joists. One day, I slipped a little and missed the joist and head the plywood under my foot go ... "crack!!!" It did not break through, it just cracked. The roof was covered good with rubber, so I wasn't concerned. But I made darn sure I never stepped on that spot again!
Old 03-07-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

My son and I replaced the AC unit on our 22RBP and spread moving blankets and 2' X 4' X 1/4" plywood sheets on the roof to do it.

We had no issues and heard no cracks or pop from the roof.

YMMV, good luck.

-Brian

Tags
roof