Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
My primary card is issued from the bank we use for nearly all our financial transactions. We have a dedicated number to call if we are going out of town to alert the bank of our itinerary. As a result, no surprises when we use our card a thousand miles from home.

Mike

I hope you aren't using an ATM card. When I first started traveling years ago I was going to just access my bank account. I sat down and visited with the President of the bank and he advised against it. If your card is compromised you could have problems with the money in the bank (lose it). We carried as much as the FDIC would insure in our accounts and we didn't want that to happen. He advised using a credit card to minimize possible problems and that's what we do to this day.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope you aren't using an ATM card. When I first started traveling years ago I was going to just access my bank account. I sat down and visited with the President of the bank and he advised against it. If your card is compromised you could have problems with the money in the bank (lose it). We carried as much as the FDIC would insure in our accounts and we didn't want that to happen. He advised using a credit card to minimize possible problems and that's what we do to this day.
Roger! I was referring to Credit card! As far as ATM card for ready cash when needed...that accesses a completely separate account with limited fund balance.

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Roger! I was referring to Credit card! As far as ATM card for ready cash when needed...that accesses a completely separate account with limited fund balance.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Alpine

Sure it happens. We just crossed the boarder from Arizona in California and when stopping for Diesel I received a text asking if I was at ______ filling station? I replied YES and they responded "Thank You."

Jeff & Jan
Retired & Full-timing since 2013

2012 Ram 3500 Diesel 4X4
Michelin 265/70 R 17

2012 Alpine 3450-RL
TOYO 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG KAHUNA View Post
Good morning full timers. The following question is from my better half. Earlier this morning i had a Minnesota firm not accept a credit card which is NEVER refused. Was that because of tighter fraud protection in Minn? To that end has anyone else experienced a similar situation in their travels?
Well first the business didnít refuse your card, their Credit Card processing company refused your card, and could be for many reasons.
If they were using a dialup card reader, the connection could have failed or timed out.

The bank could have received garbled information.

I could go on and on, basically we make sure we carry several cards with different issuing banks just to advoid this.
2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 302K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
1st Chev Diesel

Hodgy, I had the same problem when trying to use my Credit card at a US gas pump and not having a ZIP code. Station attendent said to use this number for the zip code -- 10400 -- and it worked.

Gary

2015 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4,CC, SB, Bak Roll-X, box liner, 21K Demco Hijacker Autoslide Hitch

2015 Alpine 3101RL

1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
tgpilot

Like others have said. Most banks will now require you to call and tell them what areas and the dates of your travel. After that, you should have no problems.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
byrdr1

After getting hacked twice. I don't mind them blocking my card.
BUT the last long trip to the midwest I called the 800 number and explained who, what and when and everything went well. We just took a cruise and I had to call and tell them I would be out of the country for a week and where I was going. The cruise ship was fine as everything is booked on the cruise line card. but off the ship.
so it's all good.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2003 Ford 7.3PSD 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote