Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
Rogersn

Floor plan

We have a 2009 Prowler 230RKS. It’s the second RK that we’ve had the first was a 5 er and the bedroom space was awkward as I age. This BP is fine but the dinette is in the slide and I’d rather it be on the other side where the sofa is. The other feature that a won’t lose is the bathroom sink can be used while someone is privately on the toilet. So if I’ve made it clear about what I want can anyone suggest a model? I’ve searched high and low. I might switch the dinette and sofa myself but my wife is not enthusiastic about that! Thanks in advance!
Rogersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:57 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The Prowler isn't a Keystone product. Are you looking for a Keystone or ?? More specifics on what you are looking for would be beneficial. From the 2009 to current is 15 years of trailers.... Price point?

A rear kitchen narrows the field quite a bit, a toilet area separated from the sink narrows it down a LOT more. Transferring furniture from one side to the other may or may not be beneficial. They make trailers with the "viewing" side (big windows) on either the curb side or driver side (utilities). I've had both and you don't want your "viewing" side on the utility side. IMO a rear living offers more versatility.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
Rogersn

I mentioned my my trailer for reference only. I’m looking for any and all trailers with what I like. This forum provides good information and thought someone might direct me!
Old 01-28-2024, 03:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogersn View Post
I mentioned my my trailer for reference only. I’m looking for any and all trailers with what I like. This forum provides good information and thought someone might direct me!
What size travel trailer are you looking for? I have seen a number of "larger than normal" trailers with either a bath and a half or even two complete baths. That would solve the issue of a bathroom sink separate from the toilet, but comes with a significantly longer trailer to tow.

What size trailer (length and GVWR) are you looking for? No need to recommend 11K trailers if you're trying to tow with a half ton or smaller... Additionally, are you looking at used trailers or new trailers? There are a lot of Keystone lines that have discontinued floorplans that might fit your needs, but are no longer made, so if you're looking for a new trailer, those wouldn't work, just as if you're trying to stay under a specific price point, most new trailers would not work.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Both Thor Industries and Forest River websites have RV finders where you can enter search criteria like tow vehicle, max trailer weight, how many you want to sleep, etc. (maybe more). It will return results with links to floor plans that you can quickly review for models that might fit your needs. For what it’s worth, I have looked at a lot of floor plans over the past year and do not recall seeing any with a separate toilet room (even models with 1 1/2 bathrooms). I have seen some smaller floor plans with no bathroom sink at all (guess you have to use the kitchen on those).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:21 AM   #6
Rogersn

Thanks Bulldog that’s exactly the kind of response I had hoped to get. I too have looked at a lot of trailers but can’t find the exact thing I’m looking for. I’ve even attended RV shows with no luck. Obviously what I’m looking for is not popular so I may have to stick with what I have which isn’t the end of the world.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:10 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I think RV's, like most things, are a compromise. Finding the "goldilocks " layout may not be realistic. Of course, you can have one custom built if price is no concern but even then there's only so much one can do within the limited space. Good luck in your quest.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:31 PM   #8
Rogersn

I think you are absolutely right flybouy. And given that 2009 seems to be the last year my floor plan was built suggests it wasn’t very popular. Unfortunately I don’t see much variation in floor plans it seems they are all the same just a variation in size and the number of slides. The other factor that happens is that our likes and wants change with age.
Thanks for the courteous comment.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:22 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I think you are absolutely right flybouy. And given that 2009 seems to be the last year my floor plan was built suggests it wasn’t very popular. Unfortunately I don’t see much variation in floor plans it seems they are all the same just a variation in size and the number of slides. The other factor that happens is that our likes and wants change with age.
Thanks for the courteous comment.
I think many manufacturers whent thru a "streamlining" process where less popular lines and models are available. I can understand the need to reduce inventory or the number of unsold units but to me it becomes very boring. It leaves little room for for innovation. Just my thoughts and observations.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:02 AM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The Prowler isn't a Keystone product. Are you looking for a Keystone or ?? More specifics on what you are looking for would be beneficial. From the 2009 to current is 15 years of trailers.... Price point?

A rear kitchen narrows the field quite a bit, a toilet area separated from the sink narrows it down a LOT more. Transferring furniture from one side to the other may or may not be beneficial. They make trailers with the "viewing" side (big windows) on either the curb side or driver side (utilities). I've had both and you don't want your "viewing" side on the utility side. IMO a rear living offers more versatility.
Well it is true that it seems the Rear Kitchen is not very popular, at least with designers! As to location of the big windows, there is NO correct location. We have two larger windows on both sides of our 5th wheel, and the view is campsite dependent! We have some where the best view is out the utility side others where the best view is out the door side. We have found a few where the best view would be out the back.

To the OP, we have a 5th wheel with just the floor plan you have described, it is a 2005 32' Keystone product, the rear kitchen gives us a huge amount of counter surface and it is not all split up.
We look from time to time to get a newer unit, but as the OP find it hard to find a similar floor plan in a mid length 5th wheel.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:30 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=rhagfo;556193]Well it is true that it seems the Rear Kitchen is not very popular, at least with designers! As to location of the big windows, there is NO correct location. We have two larger windows on both sides of our 5th wheel, and the view is campsite dependent! We have some where the best view is out the utility side others where the best view is out the door side. We have found a few where the best view would be out the back.

To the OP, we have a 5th wheel with just the floor plan you have described, it is a 2005 32' Keystone product, the rear kitchen gives us a huge amount of counter surface and it is not all split up.
We look from time to time to get a newer unit, but as the OP find it hard to find a similar floor plan in a mid length 5th wheel./QUOTE]

The highlighted above is very true. Far more important if boondocking. If parking in improved campgrounds 90% of the time you will be looking at your water/sewer hoses/sewer dump out of the utility side - as well as directly into your neighbor's front window/door and they into your windows as you watch TV etc. I have been in campgrounds where the spaces were placed in an eclectic manner so window placement was immaterial but that is not the norm.

When I bought the last trailer the windows were on the utility side; I thought "no big deal"......it is a HUGE deal. I never paid much attention to window placement, neighbors, staring at a sewer dump etc. All of a sudden that's what we both worried about from wake up to bed time at 90% of the places we stayed. The windows stayed covered virtually all the time. The other side had smaller windows but it was like being in a rabbit burrow. To each his own, some don't mind that but we do. Sort of like the guy that parked adjacent to us with our doors facing each other (as well as windows on this trailer) - he had no problem getting dressed/undressed with the door and windows open (his DW was a bit more modest but not much) or coming out in the AM with some kind of "Speedo" lycra/spandex shorts then plopping down in a lawn recliner staring at our door - all 300lbs. of him. Nah.....
Old 02-02-2024, 06:49 AM   #12
Rogersn

Your bathroom setup is probably the best setup I’ve seen! Thanks for sharing
Old 02-02-2024, 06:51 AM   #13
Rogersn

Sourdough you have expressed all of my issues with the dinette on the utility side. Thanks
Old 02-02-2024, 07:26 AM   #14
peanut

Quote:
Sourdough you have expressed all of my issues with the dinette on the utility side. Thanks
X2

Everyone has desires for their trailer. But everyone will have to make some compromises. I absolutely hate having a dinette on the drivers/utility side of the trailer. It was on my "do not compromise" list when upgrading. But my wife fell in love with the rear dinette 24RDS.

Still, it has enough windows that are large enough that the view to the curb side/door side (OUR campsite side) is good. Result - compromise.

(One year later, for the 2023 model year, Cougar came out with the 23MLE. Now, if we had waited, that could have resulted in a test of wills between my wife and I. LOL.)

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:52 PM   #15
Rogersn

I checked out the 23MLE and the bathroom setup is not a compromise I’m prepared to make! I’ll compromise the dinette on the utility side! Thanks for weighing in! I’ll keep shopping but know compromise is the answer!
Old 02-02-2024, 05:24 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
I am little lost on this. With the dinette on my utility side, sitting at the table I don’t see any of my utilities. Granted I might be looking at the neighbors door or living space. Now with the dinette on my non utility side, I am looking at neighbors sewer, water and electrical mess.

Correct me if I miss interpreted your statements.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:55 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am little lost on this. With the dinette on my utility side, sitting at the table I don’t see any of my utilities. Granted I might be looking at the neighbors door or living space. Now with the dinette on my non utility side, I am looking at neighbors sewer, water and electrical mess.

Correct me if I miss interpreted your statements.

In a park looking out your "utility" side window(s) (driver), you have your sewer, water and sometimes your electrical hookups. I've never been to a place that I could hook up and connect to water, sewer and the electrical ped and not see them from my driver side RV windows....what is missing? Understand the "utility" side is where your sewer exits, water hooks up, convenience center is located...on most trailers.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:49 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In a park looking out your "utility" side window(s) (driver), you have your sewer, water and sometimes your electrical hookups. I've never been to a place that I could hook up and connect to water, sewer and the electrical ped and not see them from my driver side RV windows....what is missing? Understand the "utility" side is where your sewer exits, water hooks up, convenience center is located...on most trailers.
Well i guess i park closer to the pedestal than you do as i would need a glass floor in my slide to see mine.

on Edit: not trying to be argumentative, but sitting in a dinette slide on the door/passenger side one is looking directly at your neighbors utility hookup.
Unless the park layout you are referring to is vastly differ t than most here in the PNW, I just don’t see it.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:41 PM   #19
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
. . . not trying to be argumentative, but sitting in a dinette slide on the door/passenger side one is looking directly at your neighbors utility hookup.
Unless the park layout you are referring to is vastly differ t than most here in the PNW, I just don’t see it.
Most parks (98% - even at Oregon State Parks), when the trailer is backed in, will have the utilities (water, sewer, electric) on the driver side of the trailer. YOUR campsite - YOUR fire ring, YOUR picnic table, YOUR SPACE is on the passenger side/door side of the trailer. We spend time at our dinette; playing board games, looking at maps, writing, eating (I dislike eating outside - personal quirk). What I want to see when I look out my dinette window is MY space, MY stuff - - not my neighbor's.

When in a dinette on the drivers side, you not only could see your utilities hook up, but you are looking at your neighbors campsite, not yours. You can't keep an eye on YOUR picnic table (and whatever you may have on it). You can't keep an eye on YOUR kids (if they are playing outside). You can't keep an eye on YOUR animals (if you have some that are leashed to a stake or in a pen). You can't keep an eye on YOUR fire pit (in case it flares up). You can't (easily) see if someone is approaching YOUR trailer door.

Sure, you can see your neighbors utility stuff if there is nothing (foliage) between the spaces. But at least it is 20 feet (or more) away across YOUR camping space rather than 2 feet outside your dinette window. And if you are sitting outside - in YOUR space - you will be looking at your neighbor's utility hook-ups anyway, no matter how far away they are.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:18 AM   #20
JBM3M

Have you seen the Keystone 2018 SGS floor plan. We really like the huge living area. Don't hit head in bedroom area on ceiling either. Photo is 2012n which is same floorplan

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor