Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
jacketslacker

Water heater exhaust melted water port

On our first outing with our Springdale Mini 1750RD, we found what appears to be a small design flaw.

When I went to hook the fresh water hose up, I realized it would lay over the hot water heater exhaust. No problem, I'll just tilt it to the side and it's not there. No sweat.

However the lanyard for the fresh water fill was apparently too low and melted right off. Has this happened to anyone else or am I just special? Is there anything anyone thinks I could do to fix this? I was thinking of getting some sheet aluminum and bending it to make a small angled heat shield and using pop rivets to attach to the water heater door.

jacketslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would discuss it with your dealership service department and make sure they know the problem. Also, it might be good to identify it to Keystone so they are aware of the issue and can look at it from a design/engineering point of view. They may not even be aware that there is a potential problem. You can contact Keystone on their website. Along the top is an "OWNERS" tab, click on that and then click on the "CONTACT US" tab. It will open a page where you can identify the problem to Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
fourfourto

Looks like they made a change on the 18,my water hookup is in the rear,they must have put water tank in the front, mines under the dinette.
I like the water tank in the back , with it full in the front it will increase tongue weight if full.what were they thinking

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
jacketslacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
Looks like they made a change on the 18,my water hookup is in the rear,they must have put water tank in the front, mines under the dinette.
I like the water tank in the back , with it full in the front it will increase tongue weight if full.what were they thinking

That's exactly where it is. I don't know what they were thinking but I don't like it at all. We lost any storage under the bed now since there's wiring and a tank in there now.

I will definitely be contacting both the dealer and Keystone. Not sure what they can do other than make some kind of heat shield/diverter. We did find an article somewhere that it may be possible to turn down the temp so maybe that's a possible fix. Not sure yet so we'll have to see.

Thanks for all the info and I've already got some great ideas for mods on the trailer from seeing others posts.
jacketslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
notanlines

Jacket, don't go for the "turn down the temperature" idea. You end up with warm water and the exhaust from the heater is still the same temperature. It might not run as long, but the exhaust temperature is still the same.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater