Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
b_wick

Just bought a 2015 330RES

Very exciting times! I just bought a 2015 33RES yesterday. Planning on pulling it with a 2003 2500 Suburban 4x4.

They only thing that sucks is I live in Syracuse and I will not be able to actually use it until after the winter sometime in early 2015........

What is the best way to economically power the A/C off of a generator? This model has the 15k BTU A/C. I don't really want to purchase two $1k Honda generators.......

Thanks - Brian
b_wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_wick View Post
Very exciting times! I just bought a 2015 33RES yesterday. Planning on pulling it with a 2003 2500 Suburban 4x4.

They only thing that sucks is I live in Syracuse and I will not be able to actually use it until after the winter sometime in early 2015........

What is the best way to economically power the A/C off of a generator? This model has the 15k BTU A/C. I don't really want to purchase two $1k Honda generators.......

Thanks - Brian
Congrats on the new camper!

As for generators, we could debate for hours. No one likes the thought of spending 2 grand but the truth is you get what you pay for. I wrestled and researched with the idea for a year before I did anything and ended up with 2 Yamahas. Basically you can go with expensive: which means quiet, reliable, inverter style. Or cheap, which means loud, non inverter, possibly reliable OR Chinese inverter style, of questionable quality and reliability. Inverter style means clean pure power which is safe for sensitive electronics like circuit boards, TV's, computers, etc. A non inverter style is what they call dirty power, great for power tools etc but could damage electronics, though some people do it. Noise is the other factor. Where you use it and how often plays into it. Would it offend any neighbors or is it just you. Would you use it enough to spend 2K. In my case its mostly just used at a Nascar race once or twice a year. Thing is I spent a lot of money to get good quiet gennies and everytime we go someone some parks near me and fires up some ancient briggs or something that is louder then a passing train lol. As for Honda vs Yamaha they're both excellent. I chose the Yamaha because it had a fuel cutoff and a fuel gauge. From personal experience a single Yamaha 3500 is quieter then two 2000's but the single weighs about 140 lbs and the twins are about 45 lbs each. This past year my friend bought two Champion inverters for about 500 each and they are impressive so far. I would give them serious consideration for half the money. One thing about the Honda or Yammy is they hold they're value and last forever. A used one is almost as much as a new one.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
b_wick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Congrats on the new camper!

As for generators, we could debate for hours. No one likes the thought of spending 2 grand but the truth is you get what you pay for. I wrestled and researched with the idea for a year before I did anything and ended up with 2 Yamahas. Basically you can go with expensive: which means quiet, reliable, inverter style. Or cheap, which means loud, non inverter, possibly reliable OR Chinese inverter style, of questionable quality and reliability. Inverter style means clean pure power which is safe for sensitive electronics like circuit boards, TV's, computers, etc. A non inverter style is what they call dirty power, great for power tools etc but could damage electronics, though some people do it. Noise is the other factor. Where you use it and how often plays into it. Would it offend any neighbors or is it just you. Would you use it enough to spend 2K. In my case its mostly just used at a Nascar race once or twice a year. Thing is I spent a lot of money to get good quiet gennies and everytime we go someone some parks near me and fires up some ancient briggs or something that is louder then a passing train lol. As for Honda vs Yamaha they're both excellent. I chose the Yamaha because it had a fuel cutoff and a fuel gauge. From personal experience a single Yamaha 3500 is quieter then two 2000's but the single weighs about 140 lbs and the twins are about 45 lbs each. This past year my friend bought two Champion inverters for about 500 each and they are impressive so far. I would give them serious consideration for half the money. One thing about the Honda or Yammy is they hold they're value and last forever. A used one is almost as much as a new one.
Thanks for the info. Will the 3500W generator run a 15,000btu AC unit?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_wick View Post
Thanks for the info. Will the 3500W generator run a 15,000btu AC unit?
Yes it'll do a nice job. But you will have limitations even when hooked to power at the pole. You probably only have 30 amps to works with so high draw things like AC, coffee maker, microwave, etc may only work one item at a time. A friend has the 3500EB and its a real nice generator. Just a little on the heavy side.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
larry337

Sorry I guess its called a 3000iSEB

http://www.wisesales.com/ef3000iseb-...generator.html

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 11-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
larry337

I have another friend with the honda and its also very quiet. Its about 5 years old and trouble free. The twins are nice, light, a little more power in parallel, and quiet, but the 3000 singles are a little quieter, just heavy.

http://www.wisesales.com/eu3000is-honda-generator.html

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
b_wick

Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
larry337

No problem have fun shopping! One reason I ended up with twins is I bought them 1 at a time about a year apart. I really like the single 3000 cause they are so quiet.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS