Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Deerehauler

New

My first visit to this forum was a pleasant surprise. My wife, Amy, and I have owned our Raptor for a year and love it. Previously we had a Laredo 5er with 1 slide. This girl is much bigger and much heavier and much more comfy

Looking forward to getting to know some of you
I want to drive my Raptor up to Black Hills tomorrow morning to put her in storage but I cannot get the electric brakes on the trailer to turn off
Can anyone help me. I don't even have the cord plugged in
Could it be a low battery?

Regards

Mark
Deerehauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
GaryWT

Hi and welcome to the forum. How do you know the brakes are on, have you hooked up and tried to tow? How is the emergency cord?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Deerehauler

Yes

I have hooked up because I want to leave early in morning
The brakes are on. Emergency ? Not sure what or where?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Deerehauler

Got it

I discovered why the 5er brakes were on. The emergency brake cable was unplugged. Thanks for your help. I must've pulled on it without being aware

Mark
Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Trailer brakes are electrical, and there is two different ways to activate them. Either using the brake controller or by activating the break-a-way switch. The break-a-way is mounted to the front of the trailer and in your case probably the pin box.

Just like your previous trailer, it will have a plastic plunger inserted into a slot and a cable attached. If it's not fully inserted or missing the brakes will receive full voltage and lock up. UNHOOK the 7way cord and check your brakes. If your brakes are still locked, the issue is with the break-a-way. If brakes are off, you have a wiring issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerehauler View Post
I discovered why the 5er brakes were on. The emergency brake cable was unplugged. Thanks for your help. I must've pulled on it without being aware

Mark
You're supposed to pull the pin periodically to verify that the breakaway system is working. You can cross that off of your to-do list :-)
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerehauler View Post

Mark
Guess you were posting while I was typing... glad you got it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Deerehauler

Yes

I'm trying to leave at 4 AM so I wanted to get the rig all set up tonight. I must've pulled the plastic plug out when I pulled away and left the Raptor in our driveway in October.
Love this forum
Mark