Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
BRB Rig

Smile Dometic Fridge Loud Poof Noise on Propane Start Up

The past couple of months, when starting our Dometic refrigerator on propane (as opposed to AU/AC), we get startled by a loud "poof" sound. It's loud enough to hear it 100 ft from the rig when it occurs. Any suggestions on what it might be and how we can fix it?

Eric & Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8281.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	23723  
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably a gas valve not completely closing, allowing propane to accumulate in the chimney. When the thermistor calls for cooling, the ignition sequence occurs normally, but as soon as the spark happens, POOF !!! you get the explosion in the chimney. It's not something you want to ignore as it may literally burn down your trailer if it gets worse and conditions are right.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Probably a gas valve not completely closing, allowing propane to accumulate in the chimney. When the thermistor calls for cooling, the ignition sequence occurs normally, but as soon as the spark happens, POOF !!! you get the explosion in the chimney. It's not something you want to ignore as it may literally burn down your trailer if it gets worse and conditions are right.....
Thank you, John. Would you recommend removing and cleaning the LP solenoid as well as the flue? Also, the orifice?

So, I've never replaced a valve before. Is it something I can get on Amazon? Also, should the pilot cover peek hole be opened or closed?

Eric & Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8281-2.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	23725  
Old 09-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you know what you're doing around absorption refrigerators, changing out the valve is not difficult, if you don't know what you're doing, you can make a $100 job into a $1000 job easily. As for the orifice, there's a BIG RED WARNING in the owner's manual about not using anything to clean the "diamond drilled precision orifice". It's figure 17 in the 2019 DM2652/2852 manual.

My guess is that the gas valve has a piece of sand or small bit of dust that's not allowing the valve to close completely. You should be able to remove the gas line use a can of compressed air, push the valve open, blow it out and hopefully it'll work without the problem.

You're no longer in warranty (unless you have some extended warranty policy) so if you feel "up to the challenge" it's not difficult, just pay attention to what you're doing. If you're the kind that gets a common and a Phillips screwdriver mixed up, I'd urge you to call a serviceman, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you know what you're doing around absorption refrigerators, changing out the valve is not difficult, if you don't know what you're doing, you can make a $100 job into a $1000 job easily. As for the orifice, there's a BIG RED WARNING in the owner's manual about not using anything to clean the "diamond drilled precision orifice". It's figure 17 in the 2019 DM2652/2852 manual.

My guess is that the gas valve has a piece of sand or small bit of dust that's not allowing the valve to close completely. You should be able to remove the gas line use a can of compressed air, push the valve open, blow it out and hopefully it'll work without the problem.

You're no longer in warranty (unless you have some extended warranty policy) so if you feel "up to the challenge" it's not difficult, just pay attention to what you're doing. If you're the kind that gets a common and a Phillips screwdriver mixed up, I'd urge you to call a serviceman, it'll be cheaper in the long run.
Thanks again, John. I'm going to blow out the gas line. For some odd reason, since I posted my first reply, the poof sound has been normal.

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane