Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Salty25

Rookie Move

OK, I haven't been RV'ing that long but I still should have known better.

I was moving my trailer around, cleaning and getting ready for the season. I thought I put the tongue jack all the way up. As I was backing I heard a scrap and a thump. I went to the connection and saw the jack was bent. I tried to raise it and heard it binding so left it alone. I did extend it to take the pic.

It's an electric jack that came with the Cougar. I don't know if they are specific to the brand or universal to any trailer.

Do I have to replace the entire unit or can I just get the tube and replace that part?

Thanks.

p.s. No camping this weekend I guess. Wife isn't happy with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	20928  

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd go to the nearest RV store and buy a jack (same as the one on the trailer). Hitch up, remove the three bolts, pull the old jack, install the new one and keep the old one for "spare parts". Sooner or later you're going to have a shorted out switch, a motor that got wet and stopped working, etc. When that happens, you'll already have the spare parts on hand....

To answer your other questions, You can probably buy the extension tube, but chances are it's special order, will take 2-3 weeks to arrive and likely cost as much or nearly as much as a new jack.

The other question. They're all "pretty much interchangeable" as the three bolt holes where the jack mounts to the A frame are "universally drilled". So, for the most part, any jack will fit any A frame.

Don't beat yourself up. If we were sitting around a campfire and freely talking about past experiences, I'd bet that almost everyone here would have a similar story. Some even more expensive and some more frustrating than yours..... It happens to all of us, sooner or later.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

Have not done it to my travel trailer, but have done it to the boat trailer and a utility trailer. At least they were cheaper jacks.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Logan X

I replaced the jack on my trailer, it was pretty easy. Like John said it’s just 3 bolts. There is only one electrical connection, the hot wire. Just make sure if it is not already fuse protected, add a 30 amp fuse if the wire is going straight to the battery.

While the jack was off, I took the opportunity to repaint the tongue. I cleaned off the surface rust with steel wool and painted it with rustoleum spray paint. It went on easy and still looks good a year later.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Salty25

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll swing down the local camping store in the morning to see if they have one on hand. Wife wants to go out this coming weekend so maybe I can save the trip and get her to make me some cookies while we are out there.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
ADQ K9

Been there done that last year got the same jack sourced from the factory where they make them. $150 mistake for me. Happened to me when I dropped the bars on my WDH hitch for tight manuvering. I lowered the jack to take tension off the bars and forgot to raise it. Don't beat your self up. the factory jack was a lot less expensive than the aftermarket and I salvaged all the good parts Real easy to swap out. $99.00 sure beats like $300 which is what I would have paid localy.
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/amkt/default.html
I had to pay like $50 shipping to Alaska so it will be less expensive for you. They ship UPS out of Knoxville TN. If you have a floor jack and jack stands you can use those for the weekend.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Salty25

ADQ K9,

Wish I had saw that about 30 min ago.

Camping world did have one that matched. So I got one from Amazon for $140 that is similar. The one you have the link for is the exact match.

Oh well; Amazon said here by Thur with free shipping. Now to make reservations and finish preparing.

Thanks.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

On Saturday, sitting in the campground with a refreshing adult beverage, this will all be a distant memory.... Stay focused on the weekend !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
notanlines

Brother, you have not scratched the surface when it comes to these type things. This will be one small chapter in your future book of "Let me tell you what happened back in…."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #10
daveinaz

My best remembered "oops" was when we first took our motorhome out for its virgin camping trip. Our 100# white Labradoodle felt that his job was to supervise. He did this by standing on the appropriately named doghouse up front and look out the windshield. Well, as we were leaving we pulled into the circle to the dump station. Everyone was staring at us as we pulled around. I assumed it was because they were looking at the big dog inside. Nope. When it was finally our turn to dump, I got out and walked around the front of the motorhome to get to the dump controls -- it was then that people were staring, not at the dog, but at the TV antenna I had left extended on the roof!!

After that I got one of those red "Remove Before Flight" tags at an airshow and started hanging it from the antenna crank handle!!
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

I live on an island in Moreton Bay. The bay is fairly shallow, and we have a saying about people who go boating in the bay.
There are skippers who've run aground in the bay, and there are those who lie about it.
I think it's probably true with the tongue jacks.
There are RVers who've dragged the jack, and there are those who lie about it.

Me? No, I've never dragged the jack ...
Oh, wait ...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Salty, as the others have said "it ain't no big deal", and, the good thing is that they are easy to replace (if you have a couple of jacks).

At least it wasn't your stabilizers. Trying to break camp in a hurry due to incoming rain and put brain in idle I guess. Got everything ready, backed the truck up and started dropping the tongue on the ball. Kept hearing creaking and popping so finally decided it wasn't the suspension making and stopped. Stepped back and there they were; the front stabilizers buckled. I was a very unhappy camper. At least they would retract to some sort of semblence of they way they should. That was a $6-700 mistake that should have been avoided....now, it's a memory (albeit somewhat embarrassing!)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
cookinwitdiesel

Not me, but my dad successfully rearranged the entry steps on a $300k Class A when driving through a toll booth with them out. And this was after he had logged probably 60k miles in the RV, plenty experienced.

Toll booth was fine - a guy with a forklift at the state fair grounds straightened out the steps quickly enough.

There was also that time when we opened the RV door facing south on the PCH up in northern CA. Wind grabbed the door, tore it from hands, busted its brace and slammed it into and broke the RV mirror.

These things do happen - just a part of life.

Oh, and later in life, my dad accidentally put the arm of a back how through the side of his TT right before they were heading out for a 3 month trip. Trailer was already loaded and everything (was clearing ice/snow from driveway to leave WY and head down to AZ). That trade-in was an easy sell for the dealership haha.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #14
vampress_me

To chime in with the best “oops!” I have ever witnessed. Two summers ago on Father Day.

It was a Class A that had parked in a grass spot, sunk in the back end a little due to rain over the weekend and his A/C dripping down the drivers rear corner of the motor home. We had all heard the campground owner tell him on Saturday that when he was ready to leave on Sunday, to let the owner know, and they would help him get out. MH guy didn’t pay attention (was in a really bad mood?) on Sunday, and got in the MH to “get himself unstuck”.

Left his pickup parked 6’ away in front of the MH, and our truck was across the road in our campsite directly in front of the MH also. He proceeds to put the MH in forward, floor the gas pedal, and - sit and spin the rear tires. I have not heard an engine whine as that one was doing, repeatedly. Yes, as his truck is parked right in front of the MH. Our jaws dropped, and that’s when the chairs and people appeared in our campsite, and I moved our truck just in case. Next, forward didn’t work, so he did the same in reverse. MH no move. Next he tries forward - reverse a few times, like when stuck in a snowdrift. Managed to dig the rear end in up to the axle. BTW - he had never retracted the leveling legs either before trying to leave his site. No matter what, that MH wasn’t going anywhere. That was when he finally quit. Had to call a tow truck out of Rochester on Fathers Day for an $800 tow, just to move him all of 10 feet out onto the road.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
To chime in with the best “oops!” I have ever witnessed. Two summers ago on Father Day.
WOW!! I would have watched as well. That's why you should never do something while upset. You tend to do things that you regret later. Be it that spoken word, spent round or hole dug.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #16
cookinwitdiesel

Oh, that reminded me, forgot the time my dad high centered the 42' Class A (2003 Beaver Marquis) at a little RV park in Golden, CO (about a week after he bought it). Was doing a 25 point turn to get into his spot and accidentally raised the tag axle instead of hitting the reverse button (Allison Transmission with a touch pad for changing gears) and dropped the rear end of the RV. Fortunately everyone around the park was extremely helpful and mobilized with jacks, pads, etc to help get him loose. That length RV should have never been at that park haha. I learned how to use JB Weld to reattach the side panels which all were bowed from dropping and popped off their frames lol. Awesome resilient aluminum though, could never tell anything happened once they were back off the ground!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

My current truck asks questions when the trailer gets hooked up. Is the jack up? and several other important questions. Lets see if that helps me. The last jack I ripped off was on a camper and cost about 1200 bucks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
larryflew

Told my self when this first appeared I would not put my oooops out there but.....

Went to city park in East Grand Forks (MN side of Grand Forks ND) where my wife is from. The park is located where there used to be beautiful old homes when I was stationed there in 1968. Then came the big flood and MANY where lost and the park was built. All this is building up to a totally flat as a pancake area that made me a lazy camper. It was so flat that I thought I would just pull the pin on the 5th wheel hitch on my way to lowering the front legs. Slow motion slide off of the hitch and crushed both sides of the truck bed to the tune of $8000.

Second day we where there I heard the same crunch and later saw a Ford F350 with the same truck bed design as my GMC.

Note to self: it is NEVER flat enough to unhook before putting the legs down!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #19
Rainbirder

Feeling your pain! The old man decided it was time to wash the Rig, he wanted me inside to check windows for leaks etc, and being the kind soul he is, he cranked down the manual corner scissor stabilizer things so it wouldn't be wobbly inside. .......as we were exiting the wash bay we heard a horrid noise - we'd forgot to raise them back up, bent both of the front ones so badly that they wouldn't raise. Took them off the rig, got to the next campground and he beat them back into shape with a hammer and a rock and a 2x4 for leverage.. Worked enough to make them operational, bolted back to the unit. Sheesh! We'll be getting home next week after 5 months on the road and will get some undamaged ones from an RV junkyard. Things happen - we've been RVing for about 10 years - every day is a new adventure!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #20
Msmith2054

Time to replace, I guess.

My tongue jack has been very loud when going either direction for a year now. I also blew the fuse once, had to manually operate it, lost the rubber plug, and it rained on the way home wetting the internals. Now the switch is acting up, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Guess I should replace it before season starts. You think? Are there any on the market better than others, or are they all pretty much the same?
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote