Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #21
Snoking

Sales in NW Washington seem to still be good. Sales of membership lots in our summer park have been good this season with prices up. People are coming into the park and cleaning up and updating the lots. Tomorrow I will be stopping at inlaws RV lot to picked the manual crack handles that were missing last year when we ;picked up the Laredo and will ask how sales are doing.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:23 AM   #22
gearhead

Well said Danny. Agree 100%.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

To be "somewhat facetious for a moment, with regard to the "younger generation, they simply can't "afford an RV".....

Why? Priorities, as Danny and Danny suggested.....

When you consider two "working people in the family" and on the way to work, they have to stop by Starbuck's for coffee and a chocolate croissant, there's probably not enough left over in the budget to make RV payments....

As an example, a Grande Caffe Mocha is $4.15, a chocolate croissant is $2.75. That's $6.90 per person, per day. Considering a 30 day month (who doesn't go out for breakfast on a weekend), that comes to $13.80 a day times 30 days is $414 a month (for coffee and donuts).... There's just no money left over for "frivolous things like an RV".....

Before someone "attacks".... the above is said as my opinion, not as any "formal forum position".... It's just my "observation" about why many younger families just can't scrape up enough money to afford an RV. If you can afford $400 a month for coffee, good for you !!!!! and if there's enough left over to make an RV payment, great for you !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #24
jsmith948

Wholeheartedly agree with John. How about the young couple that can't seem to afford a newer car but both smoke and have thousands of dollars invested in "ink" proudly displayed for all to see. Hey...I know, get with the times gramps.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with John. How about the young couple that can't seem to afford a newer car but both smoke and have thousands of dollars invested in "ink" proudly displayed for all to see. Hey...I know, get with the times gramps.
LOL When I read my post (checking for spelling errors) after it posted, I thought to myself, "I've become my grandfather".... He used to sit on the porch, in his "always tobacco stained white shirt", spit tobacco juice off the porch and say, "Them damn kids, they'll never grow up and amount to much of nothin'......"
I left out most of his "south Louisiana colorful language"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #26
ADQ K9

As I read this and turn a young 49 Gen X er I can' help but think that I am much more mature in spirit. Alaskans are a different breed all together though and maybe that's why I can relate more with older people I wholeheartedly agree with John, Danny, Gearhead, Jack, and Snoking.
Back in the day I used to smoke and eat out all the time, that was a very expensive lifestyle. $10 is conservative for a lunch up here that's $200 a month add a pack a day at $7 back then it all adds up so as I see it it is all about lifestyle choice.
The avocado toast with that grande late just might break the bank though.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
Fishsizzle

I read this awhile back and found it interesting about camping and how it means different things to everyone

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa.../#5dce358b2b10
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Sales in NW Washington seem to still be good. Sales of membership lots in our summer park have been good this season with prices up. People are coming into the park and cleaning up and updating the lots. Tomorrow I will be stopping at inlaws RV lot to picked the manual crack handles that were missing last year when we ;picked up the Laredo and will ask how sales are doing.
Talked to inlaw today. Sales of RV trailers was really good this summer. I ask about age of buyers and he said across the board. Lots of bunkhouse trailers sold and 5th wheels. Said it just recently slowed, however Labor Day may have effected that.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #29
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... When was the last time you saw an 8 ounce coke?????
John

A cousin has quite the collection. He does have a hard time finding bottles to stock his machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7689 2019-08-16 Tom Chase's Coke bottle collection.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	23633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7691 2019-08-16 Tom Chase and 10 cent Coke machine.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	23634  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
John

A cousin has quite the collection. He does have a hard time finding bottles to stock his machine.
I remember when they installed the first "coke machine" at the local Tenneco gas station. People lined up to try it out and Mr. Stanley, the gas station owner, couldn't keep it filled. Customers complained that the coke wasn't cold, he complained that there was no way to collect the 2 cent bottle deposit and he was losing money on every sale....

Before that, he had an "ice chest with cokes and blocks of ice stashed around the coke bottles" and a cigar box nailed to a post beside the ice chest. Strictly on the honor system and he seldom lost money. Put in the "coke machine" and suddenly he was losing his bottle deposit... Hmmmmmm

Then, about 2 years later, Coke went up to 6 cents a bottle and they modified the machines by adding a coin box on the front. You had to put a penny in the box, then put your nickel in the slot to get it to dispense your bottle of coke. Do it in reverse order and you lost your nickel. I suppose that was the way Mr. Stanley made up for the losses in deposits

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS