Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Lippert Level UP???

Good morning.

I'm new to the new generation of RV's and have just purchased a new to us '12 Keystone Raptor 395LEV.

It has the one button leveling system by Lippert and it works well. Ours is a 42.5' long RV and has the hydraulic system with six leveling legs.

I've been told that with the six leg system that, if necessary, I can use the three on one side to lift the RV up far enough to change a tire.

But not being all that familiar with the system, I have a couple thoughts. As I understand it, the rears work in unison with each other and are NOT able to be used as left side only or right side only. I believe the mid and fronts may also be the same.

If I'm mistaken on their operation, then I could see how they could in fact lift one side only. I've seen videos that say that each leveling leg can lift 30k#, so three on one side would definitely have enough piss in the pistons to perform that feat of lifting.

Can anyone give me a class on Lippert 101?

Also I'm still have some issues when getting ready to hook back up. I've done it alone now once, but had the dealer on the phone while doing it. The best I could get was that ALL SIX legs went up and the RV when all the way down to the ground. Actually the front legs were still on the ground up front, but were fully retracted into the cylinders. Then I hit the two outside buttons and it came up to my "memory" load height.

But is it supposed to drop to the ground, so to speak every time I do a hook up mode?

Sorry for the very rookie questions, but the last Class A I had was in the late 80's. So no leveling legs, just blocks of wood...

Thanks in advance and have a great day.
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Lippert Level UP???

Good morning.

You can lift one side or the other using “manual” mode. Just press the up or down arrow next to the display until you see manual mode on the display, press enter and then use the appropriate arrow in the “diamond”. You can retract by pressing the retract button which should light up the dot above it.

When getting ready to hitch back up, just use the arrows to scroll to “retract rear”, press enter and the rear and middles will fully retract, the fronts (landing gear) will stay where they are. At this point just press the front button to raise the front or press the retract button to put the system in retract mode and press the front button to lower the front. Once locked into the hitch, scroll to “retract all” press enter and your done.

When unhitching, simply turn the system on and press and hold the front arrow, both front jacks will extend, maybe not together but they will equalize once one touches.

Hope this helps.

There is lots of great information on their website.

ON EDIT: if you have “one control” or “My RV” it’s a bit different and I can explain that once I’m done driving to work... can you post a pic of your panel?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
Dan Lockwood

Chuck, thanks.

I've been to Modesto quite a few times for work. I have a few customers outside of town in the industrial complex area, Plastipak Packaging, Liquid Container and Graham Packaging. We sell plastic bottle trimming equipment, we're an O.E.M. for that type of equipment.

I "may" have done "retract all" instead of the "retract rear" command.

I got this off the Internet, but I believe this is what I have.

I'll be doing my first unassisted hook up this weekend. As it is right now, it's in my subdivision driveway and not a level driveway by any means. You can see how much I've added under the front legs to "help" the stroke of the legs so they wouldn't bottom out. I'll do the "retract rear" legs and that should let the front two be the dominant legs when doing my truck height hook up.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted, but thanks for now. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
Dan Lockwood

Chuck, being from Modesto AND the 57 in your screen name, do you by chance have a 57 Chevy? With Modesto getting thrown on the map for American Graffiti back in '73, it would seem appropriate that you would have a great classic car, but I may be way off on the 57 reference.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
LZScout

Dan, I’ve had my Keystone Alpine for 6 years with the 6 point Level Up system that you have. I have always operated it the way Chuck has described without problems. I’ve changed a tire using it. But to this day, I’ve never got the “memory” position to work right. I think that is due to the fact a specific set of circumstances need to be met when unhooking, that I never met. I don’t miss it.

Lantz

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
xrated

Dan, I may be wrong but the picture you posted above is the control station for the 4 leg motor operated leveling system, not the six leg hydraulic system. I have the 6 leg hydraulic system on my trailer and when you unhitch from the truck, the height that the trailer is, is remembered in the control And that height becomes your "hitch position". So, at the end of your camping stay and you are ready to hitch the truck back up, and before you back the truck under the pin box, press the hitch height button. This will automatically retract the rear legs and the middle legs on both sides of the trailer. When that process is complete, the system will then lower the trailer (retract the front landing gear legs) until it is at the same height as it was when you unhitched the truck....hitch position. Once that has happened, it's now safe to back your truck up and do the hitching into the 5ver hitch.

One thing to keep in mind with this system. When you unhitch from the truck. if the trailer is below "level", it will remember that as the hitch height and when you go to hook back up at the end of your camping trip, and you press hitch position, it will fault because the hitch position it remembers is lower than level. It is programmed to do that so that you cannot damage a truck hitch or bed by going lower than level. On my setup, I will raise the trailer enough to unhitch. I then drive the truck out of the way. Then, if my trailer isn't at level or higher, I will raise the trailer some more until I know that is above level.....I then press the auto level button and let it do all of the leveling moves it needs to do. When it's time to hitch back up, I press the hitch position. It will retract the rear and middle legs on both sides then go to my hitch position (which is higher than it needs to be, because I raised it after unhitching). Once it is in hitch position, I will slowly back the truck in and manually lower it until I have the exact height I need to hitch up. After completing the hitching, raise the landing gear legs an inch or so and do your pull test with the wheel chocks still in place and the brakes to the trailer fully applied. Then, don't forget to raise the legs the rest of the way up.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post
Dan, I’ve had my Keystone Alpine for 6 years with the 6 point Level Up system that you have. I have always operated it the way Chuck has described without problems. I’ve changed a tire using it. But to this day, I’ve never got the “memory” position to work right. I think that is due to the fact a specific set of circumstances need to be met when unhooking, that I never met. I don’t miss it.

Lantz
Lantz.....read my post above with the explanation of why hitch position has never worked for you.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I wish!! I was born in 1957. That movie is based on Yosemite blvd, Buy was filmed in Napa county. The race scene was filmed on Jack tone rd.

The panel you posted applies to what I responded. Any issues, feel free to PM me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Dan,
I recently was having problems with my Lippert auto level system also. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery (it got left on and drained down during dealer service ). Got a new battery, system works fine. Evidently these auto level systems are very voltage sensitive and will not work correctly without the proper voltage.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Pics taken a few minutes ago;

“Level up” 6 pt hydraulic
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5255.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	23769

“Ground control” 4 pt electric (6 pt is same)

Name:	IMG_5258.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	23770
“Level up” 6 pt hydraulic with “ONE Control”

Name:	IMG_5261.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	685.1 KB
ID:	23771

Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
xrated

Chuck, the bottom one is the one I have on mine. Thanks

Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post

Lantz
If once you've leveled using "auto level" then tweak the RV level from manual mode or use any other button you will have lost the re-hitch memory.
As for the nose dropping, once unhitched from your truck move the truck well out from under the hitch, when you hit auto level the 1st thing is the nose drops all the way down & could damage your truck if too close.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
LZScout

Thanks everyone for the instructions on how to use the Level Up memory function. Back about the time I was trying to make it work, I added a Blue Ox Bedsaver to my SuperGlide Pullrite Hitch. It’s an add-on that catches the 5th Wheel should it become unhitched and prevents damage to both units. We have to raise the 5th to disconnect, pull forward a little to clear the hitch, the raise it a bit more to clear the Bedsaver. You can do it with one person but it’s easier to use two. It’s just easier to stay in manual mode to do it all.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If once you've leveled using "auto level" then tweak the RV level from manual mode or use any other button you will have lost the re-hitch memory.
As for the nose dropping, once unhitched from your truck move the truck well out from under the hitch, when you hit auto level the 1st thing is the nose drops all the way down & could damage your truck if too close.
I have never had that happen....the dropping all the way Down part! When I press auto level, it does move the trailer down, until it is below level. Then it starts raising it back up to find level. Chuckster can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that reason for going down first, then back up to level is a more precisely controlled movement. If it just came down to find level, gravity and the weight of the trailer would likely bring it down faster than trying to raise it and having it overcome the weight of the trailer....slower movement upwards.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Dan Lockwood

It appears that mine is the same as the picture I posted earlier from the Internet.

This is a picture my wife took this morning and sent to me at work.

Mine is most definitely a 6-leg and it IS a one touch Auto Level system.

I've gotten some good insight from the many posts here, thanks.

I'll see how it all works out this weekend when I drop it back down to my hitch and then unhook it in the storage lot.

One question about the storage lot.

When I unhook and chock a couple wheels and raise it up off the hitch and drive away, can I then just use the little bubble level on the side of my rig and only the front legs to get it "close" to level? I would still be able to walk around in it as long as I don't extend any of the three slides, correct?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
Dan Lockwood

It says do not use for tire removal or working under the RV.

But I'm sure that's a disclaimer just in case someone were to tip a rig over on a hill or something, right?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
LZScout

Dan, I don’t see why not. When I take ours to the storage lot, I just leave it in the state I drive away from it, somewhat nose high. It lets the rain run off better.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
LZScout

I think you are right about the disclaimer. I’ve noticed several times when I autolevel, it take all the weight of the tires on one side. If it lifts them off the ground, I usually will put blocks under them and re Level. So using it to change a tire is no different IMO.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

We use it all the time, I believe Lippert says to use jack stands for safety.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Laredo Tugger

LZ Scout: " I added a Blue Ox Bedsaver to my SuperGlide Pullrite Hitch. It’s an add-on that catches the 5th Wheel should it become unhitched and prevents damage to both units"
Been there done that. But that's another story/post. I will be looking at this.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote