Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 01:50 AM   #1
tweetzone86

Sudden loud pop woke us up-help?

2019 Keyston Hideout 26lhs here. First rv we've owned.

It's 2 am-ish and upper 40's low temps (and we do have rain moving in-north Idaho). Hubby and I woke up to a really, really loud pop, followed immediately by a high-pitched sound similar to a balloon emptying (like when you were a kid and held it where it would almost squeal as it empties). It lasted for about four or five seconds (the squeal, the pop was very sudden).

Immediately after heard a pack of coyotes howling up a storm right outside the trailer. They're gone now, it sounds like, or off hunting not sure, but not going outside to check in the dark (I should mention we are on our 5 acre farm living in rv while we build our house so there's no streetlights out here at all. It is part of what used to be a 4,000 acre ranch so coyotes could be anywhere). I am starting to wonder if one of them ran into the trailer as they were passing through, but again-not sure. Troubleshooting at 2 in the morning isn't easy...

Also noted furnace kicked off at the same time, but it seems to be working now. Didn't feel any shift in the rv's balance, so I don't think it was the jacks or anything (I also have jack stands at all 4 corners as well, since one jack had given out suddenly while adjusting and is now bent up). Fridge is doing it's low hum as business per usual. We do still have propane hubby was able to light the stove. No gurgling or banging, just the absurdly loud pop and subsequent "balloon" squeal.

Any idea what on earth could have caused that loud pop? About sent us through the ceiling it scared the crap out of us.

Thanks! Much appreciated! Praying it isn't major just because this is our home right now and I have chickens and we're building the house ourselves so really don't want to have to hotel it for a few days (our local town is 700 people so a hotel would be 25 miles away that I'd have to drive first thing in the morning every single day, and I homeschool so the kids won't have anywhere indoors to go).
tweetzone86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Maybe a tire? Check the spare too. Factory tires are notoriously cheap, and unreliable.

Once you figure it out, in daylight, let us know

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
tweetzone86

Will do

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Perhaps a lightning strike? Have you checked the freezer for any forgotten beverage? Any canned goods in the pantry bulged? Check the battery (the camper's), and any battery charging like flashlight or vaping/toys? Any breakers tripped? From what you've described I'd suspect whatever it was would leave some evidence behind.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 AM   #5
tweetzone86

Not lightning we aren't having any. No beverages in freezer. As far as I know no bulging items in pantry but I will check more thoroughly when the sun comes up. Same with battery I won't go outside after dark with a pack of coyotes running about (I'm a very small person only 5 feet tall and I'm in very rural north Idaho so coyotes aren't the only predator we get we also have wolves bears and cougars here. Typically a little further out but not out of the realm of possibility). Don't vape, and computer is charging just fine. I will check the breakers too-thanks! Hadn't thought about that one.

I would think so...

EDIT-hubby checked breakers they're fine. Will check pantry and batteries and tires after sunup.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I'm 6'3" and wouldn't venture out without a weapon from the sounds of it. Another thought came to mind as well. Are you parked under any trees? I've had some nuts (like walnuts) fall on the roof that sound like a human nut fell on it.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
tweetzone86

We don't see the bears, wolves and cougars much due to us and all other farms around us being cleared and just grass/pasture. But I did see a dead cougar on the road about 15 miles south of us a couple months ago where it's wooded, and the wolves are more likely to be further north where it's more mountainous and a few less people (I live in a valley surrounded by mountains on three sides) same with bears-all three of those prefer vegetation cover and stealth. Which leads to your next question...

Nope, not a single tree on our property and very few around. This used to be part of a 4,000 acre ranch so aside from the rare pine, it's cleared up to about half a mile on three sides and more to the south where the bulk of the ranch was.

And this is conifer and aspen territory so the only thing that would fall on our trailer if we did have trees would be pinecones or the occasional suicidal wild turkey (seriously, one randomly fell on a car and busted through the windshield while the owner was driving on one of the roads around here. Apparently it thought life was no longer worth living). I CAN grow walnuts here but it's not native.

But yeah-coyotes are a different story, and definitely were right outside our trailer door right after it happened. If it were daylight I wouldn't have an issue going outside, but nighttime is another matter altogether (and yeah, we actually have a rifle at my uncle's house we need to bring here to scare off the pesky critters. Just moved here in June). These aren't half-wolf half-coyotes like you have back east thank goodness-only about 35 lbs or so, but they have the advantage in the dark and in a pack and if nothing else, I don't want to get bit by startling a wild animal. Especially given that we'd have to crouch down to look at the tires, which makes us very vulnerable and thus could encourage canid attack (the goal with them is to look big and strong and scary and not worth the effort, not small and weak and timid like a baby animal).

It's starting to get light out now, so I'll head out and check the tires and battery and see if I can figure out what popped. With the howling occurring practically immediately after, I am wondering if some stupid coyote just ran into the side of the trailer last night. But a pop that sounded like a loud snap (best way I can think of to describe it-like an absurdly loud rubber band snapping enough to wake us out of a deep sleep) is something we need to figure out for sure.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

We've got plenty of wildlife here as well. Some coyote have been sited nearby but the largest thing to set off our cameras is the red fox that likes to visit between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Funny to watch as he follows the same track the rabbits, squirrels , occasional groundhog and stray cat traverse. Then our Brittany Spaniel will sniff the same course when he go out. The white tail stay away because of the dog.
Sorry to stray, pun intended , let us know what, if anything you find.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Since you have chickens, the coyotes will be back. Just opening the door, turning on a light etc. will send them away. I have several different flashlights and always have a gun of some type handy. Flashlight with red lens will help spot them to kill them, a normal flashlight will scare them away. Chickens will also bring bobcats, eagles and several other animals around mostly all at night. If you need advice on a secure area for chickens check you tube. Basically, some types of attacks happen by digging under a fence, some climbing up and over the fence others through the open tops. If do not have the chickens in a secure area, you will find out how popular they are as a food source for the wild animals.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetzone86 View Post
We...(and yeah, we actually have a rifle at my uncle's house we need to bring here to scare off the pesky critters. Just moved here in June). ...
I don't want this to become a firearms discussion, but the above statement caused me to cringe a little.

I'd urge you to reconsider that rifle. A shotgun may be a much safer and more effective weapon for such a situation. With a rifle, if you happen to miss, the projectile may travel a mile or more before it loses enough energy to fall to the ground. Anyone or anything that might be "in the way" could be impacted. A shotgun typically has an effective range of around 100 yards or less (depending on the gun and the ammunition) and with multiple projectiles (shot) will cover more area, possibly increasing the chance of an effective shot, if such is intended and needed.

Don't rely on a rifle for self protection and please, never "fire it into the air" hoping the noise will scare away wild animals. The results could be devastating for an unseen "someone" a mile or more away from where you fire the weapon.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
Laredo Tugger

Maybe somebody mentioned it but I did not see it. Did you check the water heater? Pop and hissing could come from that as well if something came loose or was over pressured. Might also check the AC to make sure something inside it didn't fail.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

John makes an excellent point. If your not familiar with firearms you better off without it, especially with little ones around. Another poster said the light will scare them but don't count on it . If you're planning an scaring them, not killing them then get a hand held boat horn that operates on compressed gases.
My BIL who lives a couple miles away decided to raise hens for eggs. After spending lot's of cash and steadily replacing hens he gave up after a year of fattening up the foxes.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
CrazyCain

I used to hear popping in my camper while we winter camped, turns out i had "Spirits" in my trailer, drinking all my "Spirits!! Sorry side joke, some people on here will know what im talking about!! It was funny!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

It could be most anything, but a loud pop and following loud "squeal" is exactly what happened to me when a tire "popped" and deflated. I would check all tires and spare first thing as has already been suggested.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

We live on some acreage and there is dense brush all around. The coyotes sing at night and drive my dogs nuts. We have about an acre fenced with chain link buried in concrete and this is where my puppies run and yapp (back of house)! The coyotes are really annoying when they run out over my septic field in front of the house (we call it a front yard). They start singing and the whole house is now in a wake-up call. Colder weather generally does it or when the boy coyotes are looking for romance. I have run out to the front porch many times with evil intent (won't mention what I am carrying) but those critters have ears that are sharper than most any other wildlife and all you see are their little tails as they head into the brush.

We have lots of other critters that can make noise; especially the piggys. Those guys can get seriously big and you had best be prepared for them if you get on top one. The bores look like old time office desks with tusks. We have a low landscape block wall surrounding a lava rock bed in front of the house (we call it a scorpion refuge) and the pigs toss the blocks out of the way like nothing and root in the lava rock. Squirrels can make a racket depending on what they get into. Worst are the racoons. Little buggers are fearless! We USED to feed the barn cats on our front porch till the mister and missus racoon and the 3 kids would come up and eat it and make a disgusting mess in the water bowl (they seem to like to dunk their cat food). Cats would just sit there and watch. My wife tried walking past them and daddy raccoon made for her a bit and she ducked back in the house and started yelling for me to "DO SOMETHING". Went out with the suggested shotgun but felt like blowing up my porch wasn't worth it. They scuttled off not a bit scared. We have now built a cat feeder covered platform on the side of our car port at about 4 1/2' high so the buggers can't get in there. Last is the bird feeder. We feed about 20 zillion doves. The idiots then pay us back by flying into our porch storm door and committing bird-suicide. My wife had one of those fall placards that she hung over the storm door via a plastic hook thing and the deaths have seemed to abated now that they know something is there. Not a pop but a plop when they self destruct on the door.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #16
Snoking

I bet on this:

Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I bet on this:

But why the popping? And loud too from what she originally posted. But nothing else makes much sense. I have had relief valves go bad but no Popping. The blown tire idea? I really want to hear what they find.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
But why the popping? And loud too from what she originally posted. But nothing else makes much sense. I have had relief valves go bad but no Popping. The blown tire idea? I really want to hear what they find.
If the thermostat stuck, then the valve will "POP" open and relieve the built up pressure in the tank.

To OP remove the water heater outside cover and see if it in wet in there and/or if the valve is now dripping. Chris
Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #19
AbHDToyHauler

Have air ride on your truck? Possible one of the air ride balloons popped??
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #20
GMcKenzie

The Coyotes got them. Too bad as I wanted to know what it was as well.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote