Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Gilbert4lsu

Roof satellite

I have a 2018 Fuzion 417. Is the roof prewired for the satellite dish?
Gilbert4lsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Do you mean for a permanent mount dish?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Gilbert4lsu

Yes, a permanent satellite
Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know of any Keystone trailer that is "prewired" for a rooftop satellite system. Most are "wired for satellite" but that only means there is a coax port on the trailer skin that is connected to the electronics inside the trailer and finally to the TV. There is nothing, to my knowledge that is wired from the rooftop to the trailer electronic switching system that controls the entertainment systems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
Roscommon48

I assume you are talking/thinking about a permanent dish up there???? If so, just get with an installer, they will deal with it. For them, it is easy to do it. Cost? Probably around $2200 for the winegard traveler.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't know of any Keystone trailer that is "prewired" for a rooftop satellite system. Most are "wired for satellite" but that only means there is a coax port on the trailer skin that is connected to the electronics inside the trailer and finally to the TV. There is nothing, to my knowledge that is wired from the rooftop to the trailer electronic switching system that controls the entertainment systems.
Can't speak for any other Keystone brand, but the Redwood line came prewired with living room/bedroom cables & control cables to the roof. There are 2 cable ports up there with the control cable taped one of them, you may have to fish it out but it's there.
I'd go on the roof above where the antenna booster is mounted there may be 2 approximately 2 1/2 to 3" round covers covered in sealant, that will be satellite. Unfortunately they don't ways work as they should but a cable toner should be able to straighten them out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

The rooftop install of a dish doesn't seem like a great idea to me. My old 2002 Cougar 5th wheel had no satellite input so I put one on the side adjacent to the entertainment system shelf where the receiver is located. If I am in a park where there is no obstruction of the southern sky, I set the dish on top my slide out. If there is obstruction, I dig out my tripod and set the dish where it has a clear view of the southern sky. I carry several RG6 runs and use the shortest necessary and can reliably get power to the antenna over a 75' run. I use a Dish Playmaker & Wally receiver. I have the same programming as at the house.

A dish mounted on the roof will very often not be able to see an unobstructed view of the southern sky due to trees, etc. I prefer the portability aspect.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Gilbert4lsu

Thank y'all. Good information
Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

As George said, a rooftop satellite receiver may limit your ability to use it depending on where you're parked. There's a reason the "million dollar motorhome resorts" have professional landscaping and the tallest bush is barely "bottom of the windows" high.... No trees in most of them and the few trees that are in the "high priced resorts" are away from the parking spaces.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, satellite