Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
ajk170

The best pizza oven!

HHi everyone - I wanted to share what i think is one of the best portable propane pizza ovens out there right now. The Pizza Pronto https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Pi...gateway&sr=8-2

Since it's just the DW and I with the two pups, space is not usually an issue for us and we like to cook when on the road. One of the things is pizza and we found this pizza oven is awesome at home and on the road. It does take up a little space and consideration needs to be given for packing the pizza stones, but boy can it make some great pizza. Now, despite the manufactures claims of reaching 900+ degrees for napoleon style, I can tell you that I've found it pretty hard to reach and sustain that 900-degree temp. But 700 degrees is no problem and 550-700 is its normal range, even on windy days. We have also found that if you make your dough a day (or more) ahead of time, it cooks much better (usually about 8 minutes with a nice "cheetah" on the bottom and golden brown crust on the cheese). Fresh dough can be a little tricky since it can cook faster than the rest or at the very least faster than the cheese can get that golden brown crust. But the upside to this oven (or maybe its the recipe that the DW uses for the dough) is that even when it looks "burnt" on the bottom, it doesn't taste burnt. We've made dough up to a week in advance, frozen it and then took it on the road with us and we've had great success with it! Plus there are several accessories that you can get- I have the smoker box that puts a kiss of smoke on it and makes it even better - makes it seem like wood-fired oven. Plus, there is a wok attachment that I love, since I can stir-fry at home and not stink up the house (I hate food smells in the house) and we can take it on the road and have legit stir-fry (at least the way we like it). And there’s an extension ring that you can put on it that increases the opening and is big enough for casserole dishes. We use it for baked rigatoni or other pasta dishes while on the road if it’s too hot to fire up the convection oven in the camper. What I’m most surprised by is that more RVers haven’t seemed to discover this pizza oven since the use is a little more versatile than just a pizza oven.

-Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Tbos

Sounds like a great pizza oven.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Sunday night is poizza night (tha's how we pronounce it in Strine [Oz speak]) and anything that makes good poizzas is bonzer with us.
Yew bloody bewdie!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
ajk170

FlyingAroundRV/Tbos- no prob, I would think its available to you down there but I'll have to get the OK from the DW to post up her pizza dough recipe. We've tried a few versions of dough to include buying it off of Dominos but the one we landed on is her version that blends a couple different ones. I think people that complain about it burning use a dough that has too much sugar and potentially too much yeast. That's why making it a day or more in advance really helps the dough rise if you use very little sugar.

The other point that I forgot is that I do use those pizza screens and then as I rotate the pizza half way through the bake (at about 3-4 mins) I check the bottom to see how it's going and then pull the pie off the screen for the last few minutes to unsure a good crispiness to the pizza. A person also needs a pizza peal and Pizza craft makes one that has a foldable handle making it easier to travel with it. I store ours in the oven with the Pizza craft wok when we travel.

One limitation to this great oven is the size of the pizza. A lot of people complain that the a 12.5" pizza is too small. While I use to initially think that, and we use to make three pizzas at a time, we always had 1/2 to 2/3 left over for four adults. We've settled on two, esp. if we have a salad or anything else. I like that making your own dough and being able to travel with it frozen really cuts down on food costs. Plus I get to make what I know is good and the smaller dough balls pack easy in the 8' Dometic's smaller freezer!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Looks cool! Though space is a premium.

A buddy has the camp chef 2 burner set up with griddle for breakfast, and the pizza oven attachment that sits on the burners. It does a pretty good job.

Thanks for sharing
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor cooking, pizza, pizza oven, wok