Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
purebred

By pass IN-Command system?

Wondering if anyone has bypassed the IN-command system that is installed in the trailers now ? Such as replacing the system with their own AC thermostats, Light switches, slide switches, leveling jack switches etc. I am not having any problems with mine, knock on wood but down the line the thought of a computer controlling my 5th wheel is kind of scary. Anybody have any dealings in bypassing these systems or any input on it? Seems a simple switch or thermostat controlling things would sure make for a better fix than the cost associated with replacing your control computer. Thoughts ?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
curtthegreat

I have bypassed it out of necessity last labor day weekend. Pulled into our lot and we had the dreaded blank white screen. I went to the hardware store and bought some wire and small alligator clips and connected the post we needed for lights, hot water, water pump.
Took just a few minutes and didn't ruin our weekend. I contacted Jensen, and they promptly sent me a new, upgraded screen, at no charge, all is good. My advice, and you can take it for what it's worth, don't take the aspirin before the headache, relax and enjoy camping. If the In-Command never fails, something else will...for damn sure.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
purebred

We are full timers and more than just weekend campers. I know other things fail in a given time. After retiring as a heavy equipment mechanic and welder i have more than figured things fail over time. Preventive maintenance does wonders but also know that electronics can cause a multitude of problems for people. Just curious if others feel the same way that life is complicated with all the electronic do dads that exist and adding more to our daily lives makes us more dependent on electronic controlled things and if others have the fortitude to change it or not.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Tbos

As a former electronics technician I know these things can fail. I prefer simple switches but haven’t done anything to bypass the system yet.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Customer1

I purposely shopped for and bought a new-old-stock 2018 to avoid the IN-command.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
GeekSquadOfUn

Remember having this discussion with my parents when the TouchTone phone came out.

Or my boss when email came out: God who needs this? faxes are better ��

Times are a changin' guys.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
travelin texans

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=purebred;358228]We are full timers and more than just weekend campers. I know other things fail in a given time. After retiring as a heavy equipment mechanic and welder i have more than figured things fail over time. Preventive maintenance does wonders but also know that electronics can cause a multitude of problems for people. Just curious if others feel the same way that life is complicated with all the electronic do dads that exist and adding more to our daily lives makes us more dependent on electronic controlled things and if others have the fortitude to change it or not.[/QUOTE

I was on the front end of the "new" electronic/computer age. I programmed in binary and hex. The books required for the "database" were huge, complicated and time consuming. Looked to me then like we were on the cusp of really remarkable things. And we were, but…..

Folks have given up their independence, self knowledge and discovery to give it over to an electronic world that now provides them with knowledge, guidance and yes, moral, spiritual and just "everyday" guidance - based on the motivations of whatever they are reading. Scary and dangerous.

My truck has the Uconnect 8.4 w/Nav. Yesterday they decided they needed to download some "upgrade". Now my system has been working stellar. All of a sudden I lost my blue tooth, Sirius, volume, backup camera and everything else. Could do nothing...nothing to make the popups stop and get anything working. 7 hours later I managed to get it going, by luck I believe. I had no control and was completely at the mercy of "whoever" was doing this to something I owned. In Command? I never want one. Is that the way of the future? Probably....and it makes me sad; I like physical, manual switches.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #9
purebred

Amen to that sourdough. I too am a man of switches and dials. So much easier for this old person to figure out. I guess like others said if it ain't broke don't worry about it.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
jim1

You know it's a Mickey Mouse set up when they can't even change the temps to Celsius from Fahrenheit. RV tech called them when I asked about it and he couldn't believe it either Their answer was not set up to change to metric live with it. But they still sell lot's of them in Canada.

jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote