Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
ajk170

upgrading to Roller shades(?)

Hi everyone- so I'm looking at the different possibilities of upgrading my rear window shade in my '15 Outback 316RL from the fabric according to a roller. Of course, cost is always a consideration ( I don't want to pay more for just a name) and the window is rather large- I think it's 60+"L and 50"(+) in height, so it's a $300+ with MCD for a "Day/Night". However, RecPro seems to come in at $200+ for what apears to be a similar custom shade. And if I just want a blackout, Recpro is about $140 and I don't seem to see where MCD offers just a blackout. However, that night shade only seems to have very little information and the pictures out there leave me suspicious about the mounting options (I want to mount from above). Plus, they seem to use the Henry Ford school of thought on the nightshade only option, "You can have any color you want, so long is it's black". Black may not be a big deal, my windows look black at night if I leave a shade up (actually it looks a like a bad mirror, but you get the point). The lack of information and good pictures or even youtubes on the night shade only installation option (or any options at all) has me potentially writing that one off.

The inlaws have an 2018 Alpine FK that has the MCDs Day/Night and while they are nice, their not super, a few have issues locking in the down position (they don't want to), one has fallen down (not MCD's fault but keystones for not putting enough support clips to hold it up for the length) and when the night shades are pulled down, they do not look that great - I might be in the minority, but I think the pleated shades look nicer. However, I realized jist how easily you can silhouette yourself with the pleated blinds (that are not night time/room darkening) hence the reason get rid of the old blinds since I like the security the nighttime shades provide. I do know that both RecPro and MCD offer different colors in both the nighttime and daytime blinds/screens which would be a big step up from what the in-laws have in theirs (I think its a white/oyster color). And Recpro and MCD seem to offer night blinds that even have some sort of texture, so I may do that.

But the question is: "Are the RecPro's worth their money (they seem to be a lot cheaper than MCDs) or are MCD's just that much overpriced?" There seems to be very little out there on RecPro, so I assume they are either new to the game of roller blinds and they are not in-bed with a manufacturer so they are under-exposed and relegated to customers that are looking to retro-fit (which goes back to the under-exposure) and due to the cost, a lot of people are not running out retrofitting their entire coach? Even I plan to do it slowly.

With such little out there on these RecPro custom Blinds (or even the night shade only), I hate to make a mistake costing hundreds of dollars.

I appreciate anybody's input and advice!
Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
GeekSquadOfUn

I too am looking at new blinds. And yes, price is a factor.

But then I saw that Ikea is bringing out a line of roller shades with a remote control and priced very well. They are cut to size as well, ideal for my RV.

They will be blackout models, and the remote is the deal breaker for me. Being able to press a button and have all of them Open or Close, or use my phone if I wish....

They will come out in October and I will look at them seriously.

Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/nLnp-wYUgPw
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
Ddubya

MCD also has remote blinds. We Have MCD (not remote) and adjusting the stops is easy. They also have good customer support..

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
ajk170

GeekSquadOfun- thanks for the tip! I hadn't previously considered a home shade since I've read/heard from people at campgrounds that those shades do not work as well as I might think in an RV application. This is either due to to the overall size of the roller, durability of the blind or the mounting requirement (which is a pretty big deal). Last but not least, the look of the home shades. The Ikea ones do look really interesting, but my concerns are two parts- 1) the overall size of the Ikea looks to be a little large, but its possible that it's really not any larger than an RV day/night and 2) the mounting requirement. It looks like it is a wall mount and not an overhead mount. Some of my windows it has to be an overhead. But I wish the RV industry would take a page from Ikea's book (or anybody else) and do something similar! The rechargeable battery and remote plus the app software integration is very cool. I would think the RV world could live without the app software! Of course it's too bad the Ikea day/night version is only available in Europe- I guess Americans do not care about that feature as much!

On my project, I'm now thinking that maybe I do just the simple RecPro blackout but try it on a smaller window, like my bedroom in-which the day shade is much less important. It looks like that smaller one is still not cheap (~$79) but it is cheaper than the larger versions. At least this way I can compare it to the in-laws MCDs while their are still here.

Of course, if there is another alternative that I'm missing, I'm really interested to hear the ideas as well as any experiences/lessons learned!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
ajk170

Ddubya- Thanks! I haven't messed with the in-laws MCDs since they haven't asked me to- I think they don't see it as a problem. So having not done it, I haven't been able to make goo determinations. But the opportunity I have is, they too want to add another roller shade to their huge bedroom window. Keystone appears to have cheaped out on their '18 Alpine FK and skipped that window and instead put the pleated type on that window (and did a lousy job mounting and adjusting it). But they too do not want to spend upwards of $400 on something since the shade they have works, just not very well.

I thought the MCD automatic were hardwired, is that not the case?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Had a 2017 Keystone where they went to cheap roller blinds. A previous Cougar had MCD. If my 2019 did not have better I’d have walked. Our front living room model has the large front window. The shade is hardwired.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
Ddubya

Here is a link to MCD

http://mcdinnovations.com/

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
travelin texans

My last 5er had roller shades by Irvine Shade & Blinds, they worked great & had good customer service. Not sure about pricing compared to other brands, but were quality blinds & had no issues in 6 years of full time use.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
ajk170

Travelin Texans- thanks for the recommendation, I stumbled upon those guys in my internet fact-finding over the last couple of days and figure I'll call them to see if I can get some ideas on price. It appears those blinds are in some higher end campers which also suggests that they are a little more $$$. I think it maybe like any thing, you get what you pay for, but I also don't want to overpay for something, esp. if the engineering or technology is the same from one company to the other. I am interested to see what these come in at on price since I've only seen good reviews from people. Conversely, I haven't really seen any reviews (other than on recpro.com and the couple on amazon) good, bad or indifferent from people on the Recpro version of the blinds. So for that, I'm skeptical but interested at the same time. If the DW would let me, I'd get a recpro and an Irvine to compare since the in-laws have MCDs throughout most of their coach. I'll see what I can do and report back!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Irvine has great CS. Had them in a HC but mcd in a Cougar and Montana— much better.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
ajk170

Captn- Wow, I'm a little surprised to hear that- I thought MCDs were something of a mid-level option. That's good to hear the opinion from somebody that's had the Irvin and compares them with the MCD.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

When the Irvine break and they will, their CS will send metal parts to replace the plastic at no charge. I had 3 under warranty and CW replaced the entire shade through Keystone. Just 5 more and replacement parts was easy. Part of the problem on longer shades was Keystone did not put all the support pieces supplied with the shade.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
ajk170

Captn- That's good customer service! It's too bad they don't use the metal parts from jump-street!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Captn- That's good customer service! It's too bad they don't use the metal parts from jump-street!

Builders get the cheapest bid. Irvine sells a ton at lowest cost to get the bid and then takes good care of the owner. Having had Irvine and MCD I prefer MCD day and night shades but they are pricey.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
FlyingChief

I don't have any experience with RecPro shades. However, I did change almost all of the pleated shades in our Raptor with MCD shades two years ago. The only ones that didn't get changed were the little windows beside the head of the bed - MCD doesn't make one small enough.

I found the measuring and on-line ordering process, combined with the followup telephone call from MCD staff, to work well. It was pretty simple...just follow the instructions. Upon arrival, I did the installation myself and it, too, was pretty simple if I just followed the instructions. We have been very happy with the MCD shades and have had no problems.

So....I can't give you a comparison between MCD and RecPro, but I can tell you that my experience with MCD has been very good.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
GeekSquadOfUn

Good news is always welcomed.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:22 AM   #17
Philipclopez
Gone Traveling

RecPro roller shades is perfect for my needs. It is a slim design that takes up little space, it's light weight, and easy to install. It locks down in the position you set the first time, and it retracts closed all the way without any issues. The blind material seams sturdy and durable. It blocks out 100% of the light through the shade, and... I like it.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ikea, mcd, power roller shades, recpro, roller shades