Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2023, 03:32 PM   #1
govols380

How to winterize black tank flush system?

I'm thinking use the outdoor shower with fresh tank pump, connect to black flush system, two birds with one gallon or two of pink stuff?
govols380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
Canonman

That would mean you have pink in your fresh tank.
I would use compressed air fitting. 40 psi will protect the plumbing and get the water out.
One like this will work just fine:
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #3
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
That would mean you have pink in your fresh tank.
Not necessarily.
Turn the valve to "Winterize".
That will allow the pump to suck up solution from the antifreeze bottle, and push it through the water lines. It WON'T go into the fresh water tank as long as the check valves are working properly.

Winterize vale to "on", One end of hose connected to winterize port and other end of hose into antifreeze jug.

With all other water faucet valves closed (including outside shower valve), turn pump on.
It will suck up antifreeze and build pressure until pump stops.

Now you just go around and open up each faucet one at a time until it flows pink.
You can connect the outlet of your outside shower hose to the black tank flush and open the shower valve to push antifreeze through that system also.

No antifreeze goes into the fresh water tank.

Note:
The air fitting you mention will work as well.
Just be aware that you could still have some water left in pipe bends.
This happens because as the air is pushing water through, it will not get 100% of the water out. It always leaves a little water.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
Canonman

Damned modern Multifunction City Water Fill Panels. I've seen em but haven't figured em out yet Our set up is just the old fashioned gravity fill fresh water tank. Wonder what the "Volunteer" has??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP-1172-P1-3-4__90865.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	45642  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #5
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols380 View Post
I'm thinking use the outdoor shower with fresh tank pump, connect to black flush system, two birds with one gallon or two of pink stuff?
That's been part of my normal winterizing process for years. Works for me.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I just use compressed air to clear the black tank flush line. If your tank is empty, there is almost no chance of water getting back into the line and no need to waste RV antifreeze there.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:52 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I just use compressed air to clear the black tank flush line. If your tank is empty, there is almost no chance of water getting back into the line and no need to waste RV antifreeze there.
I do pretty much the same. I blow out the line with LOW air pressure (to protect the anti-siphon valve). About 20 PSI is a safe pressure, IMO. Then after I blow the flush line, I remove the anti-siphon valve, wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a Ziplock sandwich bag to store under the vanity.

The last step is to remove the rubber washer/screen from the garden hose connector for the flush system and push the backflow valve stem to drain any remaining water from the "going up to the anti-siphon valve side of the plumbing". The "going down to the spray nozzle side will drain without a valve in that side of the line, so no problems with it clearing itself of water.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:07 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols380 View Post
That is exactly how I do my black tank flush line.

It doesn't matter if you have to connect a hose directly to the pump, in order t pump the pink stuff,... or if you have a winterizing port in your convenience panel. If you have an outside shower, you can attach it to the black tank flush and simply turn on the faucet at the shower.

Before I do that, I always clean my black tank as good as I can. I go the extra and use a toilet wand down the toilet and spray until nothing but clear water comes out.

Then when using the Pink Stuff in the black tank flush system, when the pink stuff starts draining out of the black tank outlet, I know it's winterized. I always do the black tank line last.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Letting antifreeze into your "fresh" water tank is worse than letting it into your hot water tank What I've done over the years is just blown out the tank flush line and filled the system with antifreeze via the water pump and jug route But yes, a good idea to use the outdoor shower hose into the black tank flush while winterizing from the jug...never from the fresh water tank. Adding another good one I think Why not attach the outside shower hose to the city in connection line and fill with antifreeze...not sure how much antifreeze goes into that line when using the water pump in any? I think I'll do that next year...good to keep lines/fittings wet...as far as the black tank and grey tanks go...they're empty to begin winterizing and any antifreeze that drains into them will stay for the winter to keep things moist like you should leave a little in your toilet bowl to keep that seal wet.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:20 PM   #10
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
That's been part of my normal winterizing process for years. Works for me.
Same. Or use a hand pump.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #11
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Letting antifreeze into your "fresh" water tank is worse than letting it into your hot water tank What I've done over the years is just blown out the tank flush line and filled the system with antifreeze via the water pump and jug route But yes, a good idea to use the outdoor shower hose into the black tank flush while winterizing from the jug...never from the fresh water tank. Adding another good one I think Why not attach the outside shower hose to the city in connection line and fill with antifreeze...not sure how much antifreeze goes into that line when using the water pump in any? I think I'll do that next year...good to keep lines/fittings wet...as far as the black tank and grey tanks go...they're empty to begin winterizing and any antifreeze that drains into them will stay for the winter to keep things moist like you should leave a little in your toilet bowl to keep that seal wet.
It's a great idea to use the outdoor shower for both the black tank flush and city water inlet. I wish I had thought of that before I bought a $40 hand pump.

I use the outdoor shower to flush the black tank with my remaining fresh water rather then dump it on the ground. I'm off grid so no water hook up.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, winter, winterize