Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Level Mate Pro Install

OK, I've gone and done it and ordered a Level Mate Pro to go with my Andersen Levelers. Love the levelers and "think" I love using bubble levels to see if I'm level. I've always used a level and just don't like lots of newfangled, time consuming "things with screens" to annoy me, but, I'm thinking this might be a good thing after watching some of the videos - especially since DW and I seem to read the bubble in a level differently somehow. I had her watch the videos after I ordered the unit and she just looked at me and said ("you won't need me anymore")…...

Anyway, it will be here Tuesday and I intend to slap it in as we prepare to get ready to head to FL. I know some of you have installed this little guy and I'm wondering if there are any tidbits I need to know that I might encounter. It seemed very straightforward but it never hurts to double check. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
WNY Bullet

Mount it in a place where you can easily reach to turn it on once you get to your campsite.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Wyldfire

It's the bomb with Anderson lelvers. I think everytime we use them at a campground somebody comes and asks how we set camp up so quick.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #5
xrated

Danny.....you may or may not remember me singing the praises of the LevelMate Pro a few years back. I bought one when they had only been out for a very short time. Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago. Anyway, probably goes without saying, THE most important thing about setting up the LMP is to get your trailer as level as you possibly can. Take the time to make fine adjustments to level, and check your work with a 4' carpenter level if you have one that big. Obviously you can level with a smaller level, but the longer ones cut down on the possibility of "slightly" off level. Again, take you time and get it as close to perfect as you possibly can...before you hit the button for setpoint of level. Once that is performed, you are now ready for the easiest leveling you've ever encountered. Once we backed into a site, I would stop and my wife Peggy would get out and put the Andersons on which ever side showed low on the phone app. I would then slowly back up as that side of the trailer started to come up. Take it slow and give the LM a chance to give you an accurate reading (let the trailer settle, and no movement). Once you are level, place the chocks in front of the wheel and finish up by disconnecting and leveling front to back with the tongue jack......then you're done. I let mine go with the trailer when I traded it in because the new trailer had the hydraulic level up system and I didn't need to transfer it to the new trailer, but it sure made leveling easy....to the point it was almost like cheating. Good luck and enjoy
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Danny that's on my list. I got it this spring but sadly it's still setting on the kitchen counter. Looking forward to using it. My DW had issues with reading the "bubble" for a while and I would just ask her to point to which side the bubble was on and by how many "lines". Marriage is about adapting and overcoming" and Lord knows I give her enough challenges to " adapt and overcome" with me.
With the DW's medical issues this year we've only seen the inside of doctor's offices. Oh well, hopefully we'll make up for lost time next year.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
... Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago.
Well I have one those early models and just reinstalled it in my new 5th wheel. But I'm not using it. It just goes though batteries like crazy and as early adopter am upset and will not spend more money to get a newer model.

I think it was Ray from Love your RV who modded his unit with a little switch to turn it off, may still do that, one day...

But it's great to use it.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Well I have one those early models and just reinstalled it in my new 5th wheel. But I'm not using it. It just goes though batteries like crazy and as early adopter am upset and will not spend more money to get a newer model.

I think it was Ray from Love your RV who modded his unit with a little switch to turn it off, may still do that, one day...

To avoid the battery issue on the first generation LMP (without an on/off switch): be sure to be updated to the latest version of software AND go into the settings menu and edit the time it stays on to only 1 hour.

I am still using my first generation LMP without any battery issues the entire season by making the change to one hour.

Although I took advantage of the early buyer promotion for a discounted next generation "switched" version, I have had no need to remove it from the packaging since the first generation works so well now.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Danny.....you may or may not remember me singing the praises of the LevelMate Pro a few years back. I bought one when they had only been out for a very short time. Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago. Anyway, probably goes without saying, THE most important thing about setting up the LMP is to get your trailer as level as you possibly can. Take the time to make fine adjustments to level, and check your work with a 4' carpenter level if you have one that big. Obviously you can level with a smaller level, but the longer ones cut down on the possibility of "slightly" off level. Again, take you time and get it as close to perfect as you possibly can...before you hit the button for setpoint of level. Once that is performed, you are now ready for the easiest leveling you've ever encountered. Once we backed into a site, I would stop and my wife Peggy would get out and put the Andersons on which ever side showed low on the phone app. I would then slowly back up as that side of the trailer started to come up. Take it slow and give the LM a chance to give you an accurate reading (let the trailer settle, and no movement). Once you are level, place the chocks in front of the wheel and finish up by disconnecting and leveling front to back with the tongue jack......then you're done. I let mine go with the trailer when I traded it in because the new trailer had the hydraulic level up system and I didn't need to transfer it to the new trailer, but it sure made leveling easy....to the point it was almost like cheating. Good luck and enjoy
Yes Vernon, I believe your initial post is probably what I'm thinking about that heaped praise on the LMP. I also intended to spend extra time, with that 4' level, to make sure the trailer is as level as I can get it before saving the setting. Looking forward to getting it in and using it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post

I'm hoping this unit has the on/off switch on it. If not I'll probably return it but the mod slow posted might fix the issue as well.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
xrated

Mine was the 1st gen LMP and I had an epic "outside the box" project in mind for it. I bought a DC to DC power supply, tapped into my existing 12VDC in the trailer and set the selector switch for 3 volts output. I put all this is a dark smoked plastic hobby box that was just big enough to contain the power supply. I also put a switch on the box to be able to turn the power supply off and one, then ran the 3V output to the LMP. It involved soldering some wires on the battery holder inside the LMP, but when everything was said and done, I never bought another battery for it and I turned off the power supply when not in use. It worked perfectly up until the time that I traded the trailer in....right at two years later.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
NH_Bulldog

I bought mine this spring and it has been great. It has an on/off switch and also goes to sleep after an hour. Using the Beech Lane levelers (just like the Anderson ones) we can be set and level in minutes. Now we use all those lego blocks for the stabilizer jacks instead. I also like that when you unhook from the truck you can set a memory for the hitch height so when you are getting ready to reconnect, you know exactly how high to raise the coupler to back right in.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
To avoid the battery issue on the first generation LMP (without an on/off switch): be sure to be updated to the latest version of software AND go into the settings menu and edit the time it stays on to only 1 hour.

I am still using my first generation LMP without any battery issues the entire season by making the change to one hour.

Although I took advantage of the early buyer promotion for a discounted next generation "switched" version, I have had no need to remove it from the packaging since the first generation works so well now.
We'll, I did not know that, will look into it.

Thank you.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #14
marks146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OK, I've gone and done it and ordered a Level Mate Pro to go with my Andersen Levelers. ….............

Anyway, it will be here Tuesday and I intend to slap it in as we prepare to get ready to head to FL. I know some of you have installed this little guy and I'm wondering if there are any tidbits I need to know that I might encounter. It seemed very straightforward but it never hurts to double check. Thanks.
Buy a box of batteries. It goes through them rapidly.
marks146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks146 View Post
I only have to change mine once a year, but I am pretty anal about switching it on once I get to my site and turning it off as soon as I'm done leveling.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 AM   #16
marks146

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I only have to change mine once a year, but I am pretty anal about switching it on once I get to my site and turning it off as soon as I'm done leveling.
Mine's a first gen. Glad to hear of your good fortune.
marks146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:08 AM   #17
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Mine's a first gen. Glad to hear of your good fortune.
But if sourdough just ordered his, it will not be a Gen 1 unit.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
slow

Quote:
Post #8 in this thread provides the solution to your battery issue.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
Logan X

Threads like these are why I love this forum. Thanks for all of the good info.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #20
mwemaxxowner

For anybody stumbling across this thread after searching for automatic leveling devices, or the LMP, I would offer the "WoBLR" as an option also. Brand new it's a little bit cheaper and it does the same thing the same way. I bought mine off eBay for 60 or 65 dollars, I forget which. I love it with my Camco leveling chocks.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote