Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Hitsman3

customer service

Wife & I are looking at getting our first TT. It's between a Keystone Cougar & GD Imagine. Is Keystone's customer service as horrible as it seems? I know GD has some negative reviews as well but you here a lot more people saying how GD customer service is more helpful as well. I understand we will have issues with what ever one we buy, but i would like to know that the Company we buy from will be there to help out when needed, not sure if Keystone is that company?
Hitsman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think what you're asking is very much a subjective thing based on personal experience. I've not owned a GD but I've talked to GD owners, dealers and their service depts. They all sounded to me about like what you find with Keystone - the dealer is going to make the difference and all units are made about the same. Remember that the folks running GD came from Keystone so doubt you're going to find much difference in the processes - and from posts I've seen on various forums that seems to hold true.

When comparing IMO always compare price points - not floor plans. Similar trailers from Keystone and GD will have the GD coming in several thousand dollars higher generally so typically you wouldn't (I wouldn't) expect the 2 to be the same quality wise - but they probably will be.

As I've said in the past, my only snafus with Keystone have been because of the dealership and Keystone has tried to help, although occasionally it takes a lot of effort and patience. I will say that GD will be on my radar when we replace this trailer but so far Keystone, to me, gives the biggest bang for the buck and the best floorplans. One other factor for us is the dealership network - there are far more Keystone authorized dealerships anywhere around us vs GD which is important.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
ChuckS

I've owned 4 Keystone products over the years.. I've also owned two toy haulers made by Eclipse. Keystone so far has been prompt with their customer service and I've mostly been satisfied. My original dealership where we bought our Keystone Alpine at was great. But late last year CW bought them out. Same service manager is there but all records of my purchase and what little warranty work I had done were deleted when CW took over. No record my Alpine ever existed.

I established contact with Keystone Customer service right after my purchase and included my VIN and purchase info. The contact I've worked with has been great and even got a baggage door replaced at no cost from Keystone.. a "Good Will" gesture on their part.

Dealership is key and I think establishing contact with Keystone Customer service early on makes for a more pleasant and satisfactory dealing...

Id buy another Alpine in a heart beat...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
jsb5717

It really is more about the dealer than the OEM. Most folks who have a negative experience is more directly due to a dealer who doesn't advocate well vs. the willingness of the OEM to solve a problem. I have found Keystone fairly easy to get a hold of and find they are willing to talk with me. They may provide insight but will typically point you back to your dealer.

Fortunately I had heard enough of that advice from these forums before we bought. After deciding on going with Keystone I researched dealers that sold them. I found a great one and they have been great in getting issues resolved.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you pick a good dealer.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
travelin texans

When shopping, shop the service department 1st rather than the price.
In most cases CW can beat others on price, but usually in those cases you'll never get any warranty work done as their service departments are severely lacking.
If you drive across the country to save a $1000 you'll spend it quickly taking it back to that dealer, other dealers close by are not required to work on units they didn't sell, unlike auto dealers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I have a 2002 Cougar so dealers are not important to me but when I have called Keystone customer service they have been 100 percent helpful. I called several times and have always had professional and polite service even though I am obviously not a new customer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Slapshoot

I have found the dealer makes or breaks it. We have had a few different campers from different dealers. We have a favourite one now because of on-site service and no problems with warranty work.