Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Raptor Rear Bunks Chatter When Lowering

I noticed every time I lower the rear convertible sofa beds that they chatter horribly, about half way down. I'm sure the walls are flexing a bit more in that area which probably adds to the chattering.

If I flip the backs into the back position as soon as I can, the chattering goes most away. But with them all flattened out on the way down the make tons of noise and chatter.

I've not taken a GOOD look yet at the sliding bracket to see if it's got plastic slide blocks that glide up the inside of the "C" channel, but I was wondering what if any, lube is used and how would one lube the track inside?

Anyone else with the chattering sofas?

Also, mine is of what I would consider the old style. I say that as I've seen on YouTube some that allow the sofas to be folded up against the outside walls rather than taking the time to raise them up. Mine do not have the extra folding hinges at the wall mounts.

One last thing, the one sofa when in the "bed" position drops down in the center about an inch lower than the other side. My Raptor has very little use and the seating looks like it's brand new. There does not seem to be any adjustments on the lever arms that scissor when folding back or laying down flat.

Any suggestions on either of these two issues would be very helpful.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind welcoming into the Keystone fold...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
Racebug

mine do the same thing. I just have the kids lower them now and it doesn't bother me anymore

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
Dan Lockwood

I understand, but I don't have any kids to do it for me...

I'm thinking someone here has tried some lube on the inside, I just ran out of time and had to hit the storage lot with mine. My subdivision frowns upon keeping trailers, boats and RV's in driveways for more than just a few days. I had mine in my driveway for two weeks. Being our first 5er and the fact that it's used, I had more than enough items on my list to do and always left the sofas down, so it just slipped my mind completely until I was moving it.

Since I have your attention Racebug, where is the switch for the garage stereo speakers? I have speakers in the roof, but they don't play. I had issues with the outside speakers as well, but they eventually started working after rocking the panel switch repeatedly. But nothing seems to turn on the garage speakers.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
travelin texans

If a lube is used it should new silicone spray or use a bar of soap or candle to rub the tracks, anything dirt won't stick to & create more problems. DW used to can fruits/veggies & had a box of paraffin wax, a block of that works great on this type of stuff along with putting it on door latches & other items.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Dan Lockwood

Danny, thanks.

I'll just try first to make sure they're clean and wipe them down with a little cleaner and a rag. If they keep chattering, I'll try some dry silicone spray and go from there if necessary.

Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
K_N_L

I got the same here - a bit of chattering on both up and down. I typically flip one of the backs up as soon as possible on the way down.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Dan Lockwood

Yes, it seems that if the weight is nearer the wall the chatter is a lot less. I can sometimes also just lift up a bit in the middle without flipping them. But flipping does help more.

I'm going to do a cleaning of the inside of the channel first and then hit it with some spray silicone and see how it works. The only thing with this is that it takes soooooo long to run up and then down again.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If the seats are down it puts extra force on the supports and leads to chattering. This is normal. Either put them into bench mode or get a trunk monkey. Either will work.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #9
lonewolftx

Wink On my Fuzion. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
I understand, but I don't have any kids to do it for me...

I'm thinking someone here has tried some lube on the inside, I just ran out of time and had to hit the storage lot with mine. My subdivision frowns upon keeping trailers, boats and RV's in driveways for more than just a few days. I had mine in my driveway for two weeks. Being our first 5er and the fact that it's used, I had more than enough items on my list to do and always left the sofas down, so it just slipped my mind completely until I was moving it.

Since I have your attention Racebug, where is the switch for the garage stereo speakers? I have speakers in the roof, but they don't play. I had issues with the outside speakers as well, but they eventually started working after rocking the panel switch repeatedly. But nothing seems to turn on the garage speakers.

Any suggestions?
My Keystone rig does the same thing. It has to do with the lack of leverage given the length of the seats being lowered in the flat or extended position. That's why it stops, or lessens, when you flip them up, the weight gets closer to the wall frame.

As far as the speaker switch mine is located at the main switch panel, where my InCommand is located, labeled garage speaker. It is a manual switch to flick on or off. The step switch is there, kitchen ceiling fan, etc.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
As far as the speaker switch mine is located at the main switch panel, where my InCommand is located, labeled garage speaker. It is a manual switch to flick on or off. The step switch is there, kitchen ceiling fan, etc.
Thanks for the reply.

I have three audio switches, interior, outside and sub. I thought maybe the interior operated both living and garage, but no on that.

The outside didn't work when I bought the RV. I was dinking around with the amp and hit the power lead with my volt meter probe and blew the 30A fuse in the main panel. As soon as that happened, I heard something outside and the speakers were playing. I flipped off the switch and back on again and they did not come back on. I replaced the 30A fuse and the inside and sub would work again. I finally just started flipping the outside rocker switch and after half a dozen throws back and forth they started working and seem to be dependable for now.

But still no garage speakers and NO switch that I can find.

Thanks for trying anyway...
Old 10-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Racebug

All my speaker pairs are turned on and off on the dvd/cd player head unit. it has A B and C speakers.
I wont use lube on my tracks because everything sticks to it including dog hair but I am sure it would help

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor