Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Glenda Clark

Help , Winterize my trailer suggestions.

Can't use my Trailer this winter , needs to be winterized
Exactly what needs to be done. Please.
Besides drain water tanks.
All info. Appreciated

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
flygrimm

Basically 2 methods.

1. Use RV safe antifreeze. On my small trailer I use a little over 1 gallon of antifreeze and the job only takes about 20 minutes. Basically bypass the hot water heater and pump in the antifreeze and let it flow through all the hot and cold fixtures. I usually start at the one farthest from the pump. Don't forget the outside shower if you have it. Also let some run into the traps for the sinks and shower/tub. Remember to remove the low point drain for the fresh water tank. It doesn't have to be completely empty, any leftover won't hurt anything.

2. Use an air compressor to blow out the water from all the lines. There is an adapter you can get.

Plenty of videos on YouTube.

Stuart
flygrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Glenda there are many posts on the forum with some very detailed instructions. I've seen several videos on YouTube as well. Google "rv winterizing" and you should get plenty of reading/viewing material to last you a while.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Go here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=20540
It's a "clear and concise" explanation of what to do and how.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Glenda Clark

Thank you to all.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Thomasbeau

Something to consider when buying the "pink stuff" antifreeze...

There are two possible primary ingredients, and they affect the price dramatically. One is Ethanol, it is cheaper and is the one that you can find at Walmart on sale for 99 cents a gallon. Even though both types are usually pink, it is very easy to tell the difference as Ethanol based RV antifreeze is flammable so it has a flammable symbol on the bottle. Because of this the MSDS states that it is more dangerous to handle and can be dangerous to ingest.

Being alcohol based it will dry out the seals in your pump and toilet bowl, and the most noticeable reason the RV community dislikes it is that it leaves a bad taste behind in the fresh water pipes.

The other type of RV antifreeze is Propylene Glycol based. Glycol based antifreeze is safe on your lawn, septic tank, and storm sewers. As it is a mineral oil it also will lubricate the seals as opposed to dry them out. But the most amusing fact about it is that there is nothing that suggests it is harmful to ingest. The only reference to health effects is it may cause diarrhea if ingested in large quantities.

Here is the Amazon link for the Propylene Glycol based Camco product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...761e25395237e7
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbeau View Post

There are two possible primary ingredients, and they affect the price dramatically. One is Ethanol, it is cheaper and is the one that you can find at Walmart on sale for 99 cents a gallon. Even though both types are usually pink, it is very easy to tell the difference as Ethanol based RV antifreeze is flammable so it has a flammable symbol on the bottle. Because of this the MSDS states that it is more dangerous to handle and can be dangerous to ingest.

Being alcohol based it will dry out the seals in your pump and toilet bowl, and the most noticeable reason the RV community dislikes it is that it leaves a bad taste behind in the fresh water pipes.

The other type of RV antifreeze is Propylene Glycol based. Glycol based antifreeze is safe on your lawn, septic tank, and storm sewers. As it is a mineral oil it also will lubricate the seals as opposed to dry them out. But the most amusing fact about it is that there is nothing that suggests it is harmful to ingest. The only reference to health effects is it may cause diarrhea if ingested in large quantities.

Diarrhea is a BINGO. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) is the main ingredient in Miralax and it's generics.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbeau View Post

Who would do that" Jeez, if there was a zombie apocalypse I don't that I'd get that desperate.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
KimNTerry

and don't forget the batteries need to be removed and cared for over the winter.
Garage on a trickle charger/tender is best.

I lost a 2 6volt batteries my first winter as I did not think to remove them. It was an expensive lesson.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize