Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 05:30 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I first read this I thought steak was streak. Now that would be funny.

And here it is 7:30 in the morning and I'm rolling out of my chair; "streak(s)"??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:36 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks Danny, I'll be here all week, try the lamb and don't forget to tip your waiter. ��
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #23
Fishsizzle

Quote:
If he was that concerned with a positive review then I'd use the possibility of leaving him a negative review, perhaps with a side of BBB complaint, to incentivise his cooperation.
BBB is a joke. They have zero teeth and very few people even know who they are or what they do

In fact they frequently call me to advertise with them. The new “Angie’s” list is what they want to be
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #24
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
This is somewhat interesting read for those out there that believe making a review, good or bad, doesn't matter.
https://www.inc.com/andrew-thomas/th...r-company.html
Awesome read.

I figured this out when we started our biz. If someone is unhappy, I just refund their money, no questions asked and tell them we will try harder next time.

Years ago I took a class on the stock market. We were discussing fees charged by brokers. The teach said “don’t trip over nickels on your way to dollars”

It’s always stuck with me. 1 bad review can be alleviated by just refunding their money (nickels) while not having any bad reviews leads to dollars.

I drill that into all my employees. And I interview all my clients. At the end of the interview, I tell them that we are all adults and I expect to be treated as one. Come to me with problems, not yelp or google. We can fix anything
Old 09-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #25
travelin texans

Personally I'm tired of getting text, emails or phone calls for everything from oil changes to fast food. Every place you stop, shop or eat wants you to "take a moment to fill out how we did" or "get a free xxxx to go online & take our survey, be sure to add my name".
If some place or someone does a great job, or bad, they'll know before I leave with an attaboy, good tip or a scolding, but if it's just doing their job then they get paid for that.
Society, I'm included, spend way too much time on social media & way too much stock in a lot of the useless information. Believe it or not, not everything you read on there is fact!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Personally I'm tired of getting text, emails or phone calls for everything from oil changes to fast food. Every place you stop, shop or eat wants you to "take a moment to fill out how we did" or "get a free xxxx to go online & take our survey, be sure to add my name".
If some place or someone does a great job, or bad, they'll know before I leave with an attaboy, good tip or a scolding, but if it's just doing their job then they get paid for that.
Society, I'm included, spend way too much time on social media & way too much stock in a lot of the useless information. Believe it or not, not everything you read on there is fact!!!
Could not agree more. Waaaaaay to much time on the inter web phones.

Just added another line to the iPhone, one Verizon, and now ATT to boot. At the end the salesman says please take the survey and anything less than 5 stars gets me in trouble. No one is perfect! He did a good job and to be honest it’s hard to make a living here so I will give them good reviews as long as the were not a total idiot or condescending to me.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

BBB is a joke to some but not to other companies. Missus got a call from AT&T and the nice young lady offered us TWO free smart phones since we had been such great customers. I needed a new phone so the missus said OK and when they arrived, a few days later, down to the AT&T store we went to get them set up (contacts transferred and the like). It was there I noted a phone number not my own on the box and when the nice AT&T lady at the store called in, seems we now had TWO additional phone lines that would show up on our bill. Wife got on the phone and told them we would send phones back and cancel the lines. Bill comes around and $134 on top of our already ridiculous phone charges. My wife was on the phone SEVEN times with AT&T and couldn't get rid of these lines even though we had sent the phones back using their boxes and they had acknowledged receipt. I contacted the BBB and a rep from the office of the wireless division called. I had also sent a letter to my Texas state atty general and sent a CC copy to AT&T wireless office of the president. In any case, that got the issue sorted as AT&T didn't like negative BBB ratings and the state atty general's office thing helped. Today we are customers of Consumer Cellular with same stuff (data, text and calls) for about 1/3 what AT&T had been charging.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #28
Northofu1

I like to put the emphasis of my reviews on the product. Was the meal hot, fresh, and well made. I don't care if the wait staff is crap. I might add a line about how unfriendly they are or that delivery of a product from online was slow, but it doesn't affect my review on that product. I will let the owner or CEO look into what the small deficiencies are. Try to be concise with your review.
I have been to some restaurants that had good ratings, a full parking lot, and the food was slop.
Coming back from Palm Springs to San Diego I found Sweet Baby Janes BBQ in Hemet CA. on a google review / foursquare .Good rating, packed parking lot, good food for a great price.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
BBB is a joke to some but not to other companies. Missus got a call from AT&T and the nice young lady offered us TWO free smart phones since we had been such great customers. I needed a new phone so the missus said OK and when they arrived, a few days later, down to the AT&T store we went to get them set up (contacts transferred and the like). It was there I noted a phone number not my own on the box and when the nice AT&T lady at the store called in, seems we now had TWO additional phone lines that would show up on our bill. Wife got on the phone and told them we would send phones back and cancel the lines. Bill comes around and $134 on top of our already ridiculous phone charges. My wife was on the phone SEVEN times with AT&T and couldn't get rid of these lines even though we had sent the phones back using their boxes and they had acknowledged receipt. I contacted the BBB and a rep from the office of the wireless division called. I had also sent a letter to my Texas state atty general and sent a CC copy to AT&T wireless office of the president. In any case, that got the issue sorted as AT&T didn't like negative BBB ratings and the state atty general's office thing helped. Today we are customers of Consumer Cellular with same stuff (data, text and calls) for about 1/3 what AT&T had been charging.
You make a good point. I should have said most small companies like myself couldn’t care less about BBB or if a business is accredited by them or not.

To me they are going the way of the phone book with yelp and google coming on.

Power/corruption is in everyone’s hands right now. The phone is mightier than the sword
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
You make a good point. I should have said most small companies like myself couldn’t care less about BBB or if a business is accredited by them or not.

To me they are going the way of the phone book with yelp and google coming on.

Power/corruption is in everyone’s hands right now. The phone is mightier than the sword
No argument with that. My business rebuilds/sells motorcycle carburetors and I doubt anyone checks my BBB profile prior to placing and order. It costs to much to be a member and the only real benefit is being able to use the BBB emblem on your site or in ads. This might make some potential customers feel a bit easier. By the way, my company has an A Plus rating as a non-BBB member as we don't have any unanswered complaints; that is about all that needs to happen to be A plus and be in business for a certain length of time.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #31
sonofcy

Quote:
I've found the best advice comes from asking a local. Stopping for fuel, getting groceries or just stopping and asking a pedestrian "where's a good place to eat around here?" has worked for us. The problem with the social media is it can make a loud mouth out of a mouse as it's easy to hide behind a keyboard.
When I was fairly new in the last town I lived in, I asked a neighbour and the food was HORRIBLE. A year or two later I ate at his house and then understood why, he ate a terrible diet. I would amend the advice to 'ask a local gourmand' where gourmand is the good food definition not the too much food definition.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #32
LV_Tom

I know of one Local restaurant owner that was told by one of the big rating services that he should buy advertising on their service. His restaurant was within the top 5 in the area. When he said he didn't want to buy advertising, they intimated that they could allow more negative comments to populate his rating score. He still didn't buy any advertising and almost immediately his ratings dropped. He has a strong local following so his business survives. You need to remember that Yelp, Trip Advisor and others are money making businesses. They are not altruistic enterprises formed to make our lives better.
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #33
pitman44

FWIW,Yelp is the scourge of the earth. They are a pay to play extortionists IMO. Only in CA could Yelp win a lawsuit against them for deleting positive reviews of a business that opted to not play. I click on their ads where ever I can just to cost them something. BTW, did I mention I think Yelp is the scum of the earth?

Now that I have that off my chest, I use https://www.tripadvisor.com/ for our restaurant searches. Hasn't let us down yet.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_Tom View Post
I know of one Local restaurant owner that was told by one of the big rating services that he should buy advertising on their service. His restaurant was within the top 5 in the area. When he said he didn't want to buy advertising, they intimated that they could allow more negative comments to populate his rating score. He still didn't buy any advertising and almost immediately his ratings dropped. He has a strong local following so his business survives. You need to remember that Yelp, Trip Advisor and others are money making businesses. They are not altruistic enterprises formed to make our lives better.

This is exactly how Yelp works. I don't understand how they won a lawsuit with this practice.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #35
LV_Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Traveling Texans... I usually just delete these too, but sometimes I'll leave a stupid response to a question "How did you like the Patio Mat" and I'll respond by giving a 1 rating explaining the springs broke on it.

2017 F-250
2011 27' RLSWE Cougar
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
atkinsb3

There's a private campground we stay at frequently that has low yelp reviews. The posts are to the effect of the staff is not friendly, rules are too strict...etc. From my observation, if you obey the rules and respect their property there are no issues and you have a pleasant stay(which I put in my 5/5 star review). The campground has been at or close to capacity every time we've been there and the staff has always been friendly to us.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:42 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

It's like the MT car of the year award. Must be a coincidence that it's almost always the manufacturer that advertises the most in the magazine. Hmmmmmmmm.....
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote