Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #41
Northofu1

It's called remote start. Lol

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Lots of things to be said about a lot of things....but;

I always thought that a manual shift on the column was "it". As I progressed we actually put 4 speeds on the floor. As things progressed I told DW the world was going to heck. Now, I'm one of those that loves the backup camera, my heated seats and steering wheel, Nav, wifi, power seats, dimming rear view mirrors, etc. etc. What about power steering? I never had that when young. I said I would never have, or understand the benefit of, remote start. I was wrong. I have used it so many times; here at our house in the mountains, as the cold weather is coming in, I'm using it every day. So, yep, the old days were good, and taught me a lot, but now, the "new" days are sure giving me stuff to make my old bones happier....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #43
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I saw the add. It's pretty cool, and would be useful too.
I can't understand the resentment between brands. Ford has their trailer parking assist. Did that get this kind of BS?

The thing is, options like this either sell, or they go the way of GM's Quadrasteer. That one only lasted three years. (2003-2005)

The one I wish would go away is the funky little steps on the corners of my back bumper. They look hideous and are made for midgets. If it ever gets damaged, it's getting a standard bumper.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #44
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I can't understand the resentment between brands. Ford has their trailer parking assist. Did that get this kind of BS?

The thing is, options like this either sell, or they go the way of GM's Quadrasteer. That one only lasted three years. (2003-2005)

The one I wish would go away is the funky little steps on the corners of my back bumper. They look hideous and are made for midgets. If it ever gets damaged, it's getting a standard bumper.
The factory step on the Rams is also a bit odd looking but helps to get up into that 3500 box that seems so HIGH off the ground.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #45
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Ohh...I remember Chevy making fun of Fords tailgate... "Man Step Setup" (Howie Long Commercial?-lol)
I've got a 14` F150 and all I can say is> after rolling all kinds of weight over the integrated folding bar (1st Gen)... it works awesome! Funny how Chevy/GMC have finally jumped on board. Their setup has a lot of moving parts?, but hey...welcome to the party-lolAttachment 23638
2013 F150 girlfriends truck. If it didn't have that step in the tailgate, she would have bought the truck anyways. Wasn't a real selling point. Used it maybe twice. It's solid but far from perfect. Kinda just clangy and noisy on mildly rough roads. The few times we pulled it out, the top side peice is hard to get started pulling out. I bungee a couple beach chairs to it twice....so it got used I guess. Lol
If the truck gets rear ended and a new tailgate is a must....well save $$$ & get the standard one
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #46
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post

I'm fat, not a midget.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #47
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I'm a Chevy guy and have been keeping pretty up to date on the 2020 HD's. I'm interested, except for a couple of things.

First off, they will have the funky tailgate. Everything I've seen in both the 1500 and HD's, is you better not use the tailgate if you have a hitch in. You'll dent it with the hitch ball. I don't think I would pay the money for it. But regardless of what tailgate I get, I will make sure it is locked on. $9K sounds a bit much, but I can see the thing being in the $5K range.

The camera's look real nice. Just need to get a higher trim level (SLT or Denali) to get them and I usually don't. The cameras would be enough to push me into the higher trim level. Just wondering if they can double as a dash cam (so have recording abilities).

I don't want diesel, so my big disappointing is that the gas only gets a 6 sp. The motor looks like a nice one (410 hp and 460 ft lbs), but the Ford gas is coming with a 10sp. I want to see a comparison between them.

I do like some of the bells and whistles. The bed steps (forgetting the tailgate) at the front of the bed look useful.

The Chevy version looks like crap to me. I really like the GMC version of these trucks better. Night and day in my mind to looks.

New Chevy is horrible looking.
The bed side step on the HD is cool, just don't like the over done and over emphasize on the plastic trim around it.
TFL Trucks on YouTube did a tow test with the new Chevy gas engine. Did well......if you want to pull a hill at high RPMs. So Yea, a better trans is needed. Not sure what gear it had....maybe a 3.73 or higher?
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #48
wiredgeorge

I bought a 2013 F150 NEW back in 2013 for $17988 (plus TT&L). It had the standard V6 and automatic. It was the first automatic transmission truck I ever owned and I began to be a believer. I took it to the tint & alarm shop and had an alarm system in that included remote entry for the remote door locks. Didn't know you could buy the remote entry without the alarm. If you locked the doors while traveling, the slightest bump would set off the alarm which was annoying. The truck couldn't pull much but got good gas mileage. I had a truck camper on it and put some air bags on and LRE tires so it didn't get squished. I had never heard about the payload thing. That truck was not designed for a lightweight Lance truck top.

We got a series of 5th wheels and bumper pulls. My wife retired so I didn't want a truck payment so sold the F150 and and bought a 1996 F250 with 7.5L and automatic and after putting a little money into this $1700 truck, the truck ran like a top but of course with a quarter million hard miles rattled and rode kind of rough with super heavy duty shocks I added and air bags and LRE tires. This truck was an XLT model and the power windows and door locks actually worked and I got spoiled so when I got diesel fever I went back to the basics (stripped XL work truck) and have since added remote entry system ($32 on Amazon) and I have spent a few bucks to make everything right but the truck is now the way I like it. Vinyl seats and flooring with a BIG bench seat, automatic and a good A/C. I did add a license plate mounted rear view camera as the truck is a mile long and I need it to gauge how close I am when backing up.

Would I own a Ram or Chevy? Sure and it would be interesting to have the funds to make a choice not based on my economics but features. And I do have a hard time (being old and fat) getting into the bed so a step back there would be welcome but one coming off the trailer hitch receiver might skewer the fifth wheel so I live with it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #49
notanlines

George, if you could add a pull knob for floor vents, wing windows and a floor mounted dimmer switch DW and I’d head to Texas and beat you out of that truck....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
wiredgeorge

I would settle for vents in the windows.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #51
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, if you could add a pull knob for floor vents, wing windows and a floor mounted dimmer switch DW and I’d head to Texas and beat you out of that truck....
I would so love a floor mounted dimmer switch again! One of the best features of my dad’s truck. Much, much better than the auto dim headlights in our new truck - that dim if you touch the brakes, see a sign on the side of the road in the dark, or even think of the word “dim”. Now if I could just remember to turn the auto feature off before I start driving one of these times it would be nice...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #52
AbHDToyHauler

I also saw a review on the new 2020 GMC 3500 (Dually) but interesting thing to note was it came with four tire pressure monitors extra so you could install them in your trailers wheels. (You can order more if you have more axles then two). Thats starting to make some sense. Of course they come out with all this when i bought my "LAST" truck as a new 2018. LOL I personally hate that new tailgate and would opt out if I was buying a new truck which I am not. I always wanted the power back window. Truck before this I finally got one. Opened it twice in two years. Second time forgot it open. Rain came. You can guess the rest. This truck I rodered without the sliding back window. Live and learn. LOL
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #53
Pete54401

The "invisible camera" (trailer cam) is a great idea but as noted above, can't use with a 5th wheel. Ford has also had a trailer cam but their system doesn't make the trailer disappear. The problem with all these camera options these days is two-fold. First of all, in themselves they are distracting as you switch to the many views, which leads to the second issue and that is that all this new safety related technology is making many drivers lazy and less diligent as they rely more on the technology and less on common sense and "head swiveling". Having used the Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist I find it to be easy to use and it just plain works but again, some limitations (no 5th wheel).

Regarding tailgate steps. Ford's is pretty much proven and now in a second generation design as the first generation did need some tweaking. One of the best features of Ford's design is it simplicity AND it's handle. The GM gate does have more functions but look where the assist handle is located, not in a location where it does much to assist you. Regarding durability, dirt, grit, snow, rust will all impact long term performance not to mention the cost to replace if damaged in an accident. I have not checked on the cost to replace but my guess is it would have to be north of $4,000.
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #54
notanlines

Pete, let's be honest here. Nobody knows you and your insurance agent doesn't hang on this forum. Nobody but nobody gives a rat's *** what the insurance company has to pay for a tailgate. Dodge, GMC, Ford, they all make a nice truck. Some features are better than others.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote