Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2024, 06:47 PM   #1
djengr

Trip Planning, Road questions.

Hello all

In the process of planning a trip from Pauls Valley Ok to Mackinaw area in Michigan,we have reservations at Mackinaw creek in early August, meeting some friends who are doing the lake Superior Circle tour. I am estimating 3 days to get there with first stop around the Mark Twain Nat park in Missouri.
Stay there a day, enjoy.

The next leg is my concern, how far to go. Half way is around Gary Indiana, south of Chicago area. Not sure of the road conditions, I am not too bothered by trafic, but bad roads and slow, yuk. Map shows I80 then connect with I 94. Would anyone have insigts on the roads in the area or would anyone suggest a different route.

After Mackinaw we are going to go upper pennisula, Wisconsin, Minnesota and then head south, on I35. Figure about 3 1/2 weeks or so total trip.

Thanks all
David
B&W Hitch
djengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:57 PM   #2
Mattcoa

From Mark Twain head to Indianapolis and jump on I-69. Follow I-69 N to Lansing Michigan. Grab US127 to I-75. That route tracks more ENE than going up to I-80, but it keeps you out of the Chicago area.
Equalizer 4 point WDH
Mattcoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:06 AM   #3
notanlines

David, having travelled that exact area many times, I simply cannot come up with a better plan than Matt presented. Avoid Chicago at all costs, and possibly work on a trick to avoid Indianapolis, but don't lose sleep over it.

If you do find that travel through Indianapolis is necessary, the American Legion, Post 500 on Georgetown Blvd, Speedway, Indiana has relatively handy RV slots in a large area in the rear where we have stayed many times; 50 amp with water. Even if you don't happen to be a race fan this Post is located DIRECTLY across from the main entrance to the track and is a very historic area. Yes, we have stayed there many times and always enjoyed the experience.

https://www.speedwaylegionpost500.com/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:50 AM   #4
djengr

thanks Matt and Jim. Perfect info about avoidance and an overnight campsite. Appreciate the feedback.

Safe travels to all.

David
B&W Hitch
djengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
jfk69

They gave you the best route. Going 94 through Chicago is slow, and a ton of truck traffic. Be prepared on I69 for construction when you get north of I94. It will be one lane for about 20 miles but it moves steady. Major resurfacing project going on there. After that you shouldn’t have much construction the rest of the way to Mackinac City. Yes, it’s Mackinac, but is pronounced Mackinaw.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:11 AM   #6
notanlines

Joe, "Yes, it’s Mackinac, but is pronounced Mackinaw."DW and I travelled Michigan, both north and south for probably 20 years before a local at a candy shop told us of our error. I have since kept that in mind. I can tell you, I had more problems in learning the correct pronunciation of 'catfish Atchafalaya' when ordering. Hopefully we live and learn.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote