Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Roscoe

2013 279rkswe rear sliding rack generator attaching ideas

Guys/Gals,

Need some help with ideas on securing a generator to the back sliding bumper on my Cougar 279rkswe. Please help. do not want to lose this thing while going down I5 to crescent lake campground during 4th of July. Worst case senario is i will keep it in the bed of the truck while towing but would like to have it on rack if possible. The rack states a 200lb cap. generator weighs 86lbs. Pictures please as well. thank you
Edge cs2 Programmer w/ egt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

First off, grab the siding bumper and pull it out, than lift up and down on it. You will find it moves a lot. Image the movement at 55 mph over the road. It will bounce up and down and maybe break as you travel.
They need some extra support and a way to stop any extra up/down movement you felt. Being on the rear of the RV anything there will bounce up and down.
Just watch for the guys with bikes etc on the bumper as you travel.
My opinion carry the genny in the truck bed. Use the pull out bumper for storage at camp. If the genny is used on the bumper you might feel it running throughout the trailer. Best to sit it chained up on the ground. My AF had a built in genny and it was like sitting on a vibrating bed when sitting at the table, it was a also to loud inside the unit.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Roscoe

Thanks Ken. My thought was to use the rack only for transport and then take it off there but i will most likely travel with it in the truck bed since its not taller than the rails and wont interfere with the trailer. Thanks for the reply
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Canonman

Take a look at the rear support for the rails. It's an L shaped bracket with a pin through it. One on each side. If you replace the pin with a stainless bolt and locking nut arrangement you can effectively stop all movement. The generator will need to be securely strapped down with heavy duty, 2" ratchet straps.
I've done this as part of a mod to allow me to use my Thule bike rack on the cargo carrier. There is no "slop" movement from the rails at all. It may work for you and is easy enough to try out.
Sorry, no pictures of the set up but you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPP_9180990A-2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	17118  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Roscoe

Thanks for the tip. I like to be able to pull the pin and move it out but most likely will keep it slid in as the more and more i think about it. i will keep the generator in the truck bed for travel. I may one day want it out all the time and then i will do a lock washer and grade 8 bolt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Thanks for the tip. I like to be able to pull the pin and move it out but most likely will keep it slid in as the more and more i think about it. i will keep the generator in the truck bed for travel. I may one day want it out all the time and then i will do a lock washer and grade 8 bolt
We don't always take the bikes with us. When not used for that purpose I remove the bolts, slide the rack back under the trailer and reinsert the pins.
I really don't like the extra length if I'm not using it and really don't use the rack for anything else. I will say that sliding the rack in or out is a real PITA job best done with two people
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2633.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	17131  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Roscoe

Yes it is a Pain to pull out thats why i will not be doing that
4" Turbo back exhaust

Tags
generator, rack