Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
fmitzen

Some cabelas have rv parking for overnights and some have dump stations
fmitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #22
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmitzen View Post
Some cabelas have rv parking for overnights and some have dump stations
I wouldn't depend on that though. With Bass Pro shops having bought Cabelas some of the stores are now taking out the RV facilities.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #23
Starfleetmarj

We have stayed at Walmart a few times but prefer Fairgrounds to Walmart. Most fairgrounds will allow you to stop overnight with no charge for dry camping. Some even have RV hookups and are cheap. We are out west near MT, ID, UT, WA and there are Fairgrounds in almost any big town. Lots of rodeos in these states. We stayed at one last weekend in Ellensburg WA when the KOA was full and we had an emergency stop because of truck throwing a DEF temp sensor code. We had 50am hookup and was the only one there....lots of room to let the dogs play! I usually check their calendars to make sure there is no Fair going on when we pass through.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #24
jlb27537

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrwd View Post
I'll be on my way camping in 3 weeks, and plan to stay overnite - probably at a Walmart parking lot - along the way there.
  • I've got a Champion 3100 genny that can power the unit (A/C mainly)
  • I've got a Masterlock Python cable (a 6' and 30') to tie the Champion up to the frame (probably near the steps so I can hear it when it dies, or if someone is screwing around with it).
  • I plan on either filling or partially filling the fresh water tank for toilet, etc.
  • I plan on putting down the tongue jack on a pad just to relieve pressure on the rear axle of the truck, etc. for the nite.
  • Probably put down the rear two stabilizer jacks in the rear - again on pads
  • Going to try to rig up a camera to point out of the rear window of the truck (has IR, etc.) just to catch anything that might happen, etc.

I'm traveling with the wife and 3 young granddaughters (one reason for Walmart - walk around and occupy them somewhat).

Any other ideas from those who "been there, done that"? This is just a one-niter, not dry camping at a CG or anything like that.
First, no generators at Wmart
Second, no jacks down.
Third, wife and 3 small gkids. Find a campground before you ruin it for the rest of us.
Kansas in the summer, you need air, campground somewhere.

We have used a wmart a time or two. If there was a guy running his Quite Genny, I would politely ask him to shut it down. Wmart is not a boondock place, it is a parking lot and Wmart allows overnite parking. A genny running is CAMPING.

Folks like you are what ruins it for the rest of us that want to PARK OVERNIGHT, not boondock or camp overnight in a parking lot.

There is difference in overnite parking and camping.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
If there was a guy running his Quite Genny, I would politely ask him to shut it down.
Make sure to knock on all the tractor trailer cab doors and ask them to stop their trucks idling.

That should put a quick end to your parking lot deputy duties
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Make sure to knock on all the tractor trailer cab doors and ask them to stop their trucks idling.

That should put a quick end to your parking lot deputy duties
Yep. Try telling a trucker to shut off his reefer engine. If you are in the midst of trucks running and reefers running, I doubt a little generator would be noticed. OTOH, if you are off to a side with only nice quiet RV's, then leave the generator off. JMHO.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #27
notanlines

"Going to try to rig up a camera to point out of the rear window of the truck (has IR, etc.) just to catch anything that might happen, etc."
" putting down the tongue jack on a pad just to relieve pressure on the rear axle of the truck"
Slightly at risk of making light of these two statements, but can you explain
what purpose a camera pointing out the back of your truck would do, and for the sake of all that's holy, why relieve the pressure on the back of the truck? Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense.....feel free to dish it right back.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking