Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #1
gui272

2007 Keystone Copper Canyon 329 SAS on 2500 Cummins

I have a 2012 6.7 G56 quad cab short bed big Horn

I'm looking at this 5th wheel camper. What are your thoughts as far as weights?

9,260 empty
12,260 loaded
Rear entertainment center
Front king bed slide
Rear slide
Have super slide hitch for it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
gui272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
66joej

The only issue you may have is the truck's payload. Add up pinweight,passengers,fuel and everything you carry. Towing that 5er should not be an issue.JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
gui272

It appears as if payload will be close.

Is 15 or 20% recommended??

15% I'm good, 20% is tight.

Looking at doing some traveling with it for sure. Around the country.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Look at the payload sticker on the truck. That will be the limiting factor. Is it 2400 lbs or less? Figure that the pin on the trailer will be 2500 or more. Let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

With a trailer gross weight in the 12,260 range, your pin weight (20-25%) will range from around 2450-3065 pounds, depending on how you load the trailer. Your hitch will add about 200 pounds and you've not yet included any cargo or passengers in your truck. So, with the "factory imposed 10,000 pounds GVW" that Chrysler placed on your truck, you're going to be faced with whether to abide by the "LEGAL" load limits or ignore the yellow sticker and follow the practice that your truck is "really almost the same as a one ton". If you choose the latter, you may face additional risks for legal action if you're ever involved in an accident.

I'd guess that your truck payload is somewhere around 2500 pounds, with the hitch installed, that trailer will very likely put you over the "legal load limit". Mechanically, the truck/Cummins combo has more than enough "guts" to tow it, the question becomes: Are you willing to accept the legal risks of carrying so much weight, probably over your truck's listed payload?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
gui272

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With a trailer gross weight in the 12,260 range, your pin weight (20-25%) will range from around 2450-3065 pounds, depending on how you load the trailer. Your hitch will add about 200 pounds and you've not yet included any cargo or passengers in your truck. So, with the "factory imposed 10,000 pounds GVW" that Chrysler placed on your truck, you're going to be faced with whether to abide by the "LEGAL" load limits or ignore the yellow sticker and follow the practice that your truck is "really almost the same as a one ton". If you choose the latter, you may face additional risks for legal action if you're ever involved in an accident.

I'd guess that your truck payload is somewhere around 2500 pounds, with the hitch installed, that trailer will very likely put you over the "legal load limit". Mechanically, the truck/Cummins combo has more than enough "guts" to tow it, the question becomes: Are you willing to accept the legal risks of carrying so much weight, probably over your truck's listed payload?
So, 20 to 25% is pin weight.

I was hoping for 15 to 20

That gets me to better numbers. 25% would be to much for sure.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I've found that a 15% pin weight is almost non-existent. Most people use 20% as the "go to pin weight target" and some "front heavy fivers" (think king bed, washer/dryer, etc fit that category) will be closer to 25%.

Here's what etrailer has to say about it. https://www.etrailer.com/question-105598.html

If you do a google search using: "How do I calculate a fifth wheel RV pin weight?" you'll get a number of hits, almost all that specify 20% or greater.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
gui272

Quote:
I've found that a 15% pin weight is almost non-existent. Most people use 20% as the "go to pin weight target" and some "front heavy fivers" (think king bed, washer/dryer, etc fit that category) will be closer to 25%.

Here's what etrailer has to say about it. https://www.etrailer.com/question-105598.html

If you do a google search using: "How do I calculate a fifth wheel RV pin weight?" you'll get a number of hits, almost all that specify 20% or greater.
Thanks! It's crazy how ram under rates when compared to other manufacturers of the same year or even one year newer which is the same truck. A 2013 goes up 600 lbs and trailer weight goes up 4,000 lbs.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui272 View Post
...A 2013 goes up 600 lbs and trailer weight goes up 4,000 lbs.
I think you're looking at "advertising figures" in a brochure to get those numbers. ALL the manufacturers use the base model (without options) to get the "maximum payload" and "maximum trailer weight" specs. You'll probably never find a truck on a dealer's lot that has those numbers on the yellow sticker.

Remember that Maximum Trailer Weight Rating is based on an empty truck to meet GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). As you increase the weight of the tow vehicle, you must deduct that same weight from the trailer so the GCWR remains constant. In other words, a GCWR of 22000 pounds with a truck weighing 7500 pounds would give you a maximum trailer rating of 14500 pounds. Load the truck with passengers, hitch, cargo to 10000 pounds (GVWR for all 3/4 ton trucks) and you'll see that to meet a 22000 pound GCWR, the maximum trailer can only weigh 12,000 pounds.

It's all in the marketing division of Chrysler, not in the engineering division. If you read the towing guides carefully, you'll see a footnote that states, "Base model towing".... They all do it, so the only "real world numbers" that you can rely on are the ones that are on the specific truck that you'll use. Read the PAYLOAD for that truck off of the yellow sticker. If you use some advertisement or towing guide, you'll probably get inaccurate information.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
gui272

Quote:
I think you're looking at "advertising figures" in a brochure to get those numbers. ALL the manufacturers use the base model (without options) to get the "maximum payload" and "maximum trailer weight" specs. You'll probably never find a truck on a dealer's lot that has those numbers on the yellow sticker.

Remember that Maximum Trailer Weight Rating is based on an empty truck to meet GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). As you increase the weight of the tow vehicle, you must deduct that same weight from the trailer so the GCWR remains constant. In other words, a GCWR of 22000 pounds with a truck weighing 7500 pounds would give you a maximum trailer rating of 14500 pounds. Load the truck with passengers, hitch, cargo to 10000 pounds (GVWR for all 3/4 ton trucks) and you'll see that to meet a 22000 pound GCWR, the maximum trailer can only weigh 12,000 pounds.

It's all in the marketing division of Chrysler, not in the engineering division. If you read the towing guides carefully, you'll see a footnote that states, "Base model towing".... They all do it, so the only "real world numbers" that you can rely on are the ones that are on the specific truck that you'll use. Read the PAYLOAD for that truck off of the yellow sticker. If you use some advertisement or towing guide, you'll probably get inaccurate information.....
The number change is spec to spec, meaning the same truck 2012 to 2013.

Quad cab 4x4 manual trans SLT model.

Ratings went up from 2012 to 2013. Both are 4th generation trucks.

I do understand what your saying though.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Bolo4u

2007 Keystone Copper Canyon 329 SAS on 2500 Cummins

Here's what I wrote in a thread, related to your situation.... been there too.

Having received a lot of good, helpful info here i was in a similar dilemma, heres a post i wrote for another forum, which ~may~ help. This is just my situation...

I was in a very similar situation, heres my story. Im going to throw a bunch of numbers out, but these are my real world numbers with a few approximates.

Prior TV 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD QC SB (GVWR 10k, front axle 6000, rear axle 6500, *** PAYLOAD sticker 2050*** passengers and cargo)

Purchased a 2016 Cougar 5th wheel GVWR 12050,

Because of the short box, I needed a slider ~250 pounds

On the way to pick up the 5r, I stopped at a CAT scale and weighed my truck: myself, my dad, full fuels and NOTHING else 8400 (front 5140, rear 3260) GVWR 10000 - 8400 = ***1600 available payload (reference the payload sticker info above)

Picked up the hitch, and 5r and stopped at the same CAT scale on the way home, filled up with fuel, and reweighed: myself, dad, hitch and EMPTY 5r (except dealer included things like batteries, propane, power cord, and the items the 5r came equipped with) total weight 19440 (front 5180 +40 pounds, ***rear 5540 +2280 pounds*** ~250 pounds of that is hitch weight, leaving ~1980 as pin weight, trailer axle 8720, so subtracting my original truck weight plus the hitch from the final scale ticket, put the 5r DRY weight as picked up from dealer at about 10790, figuring the universal pin weight ratios of anywhere between 20 and 25%

Now if you were to load the a 5r to its full GCWR (12050 in my case) 20% pin is 2410, and 25% pin is 3012.

Now add a 250 hitch, your 125 DW, a 180 pounds of kiddos, the Chihuahua, all your fuel, firewood, and anything else you want to take and you can see how it QUICKY puts you *legally* over weight... Remember the payload sticker earlier?? The EMPTY truck can *legally* carry only 2050 pounds BEFORE passengers, cargo hitch etc. (loaded trailer 20% pin 2410+250+125+180+200(misc stuff in the bed) = 3160 - 2050 = 1115 OVERWEIGHT

Did the truck sag when I hooked the dry trailer up? it dropped about 2", no big deal and it towed great from the dealer to home, then a few days later home to where its currently parked.

Was I still within the axel and tire limits? Yes. Could/did my truck *safely* pull the extra weight? Ye. Would I have never had an enforcement issue, or situation where being overweight could have put me in civil liability? Maybe.

I do work for an enforcement entity and YES you CAN be parked for being overweight and would have to make arraignments to get below your weight. In a real world scenario, would that actually happen, probably not, at least not in California, however, other states may be different. Also, not to detract from the purpose of this thread, in California, unless you have a class A (commercial) license, you DO need to get an RV endorsement to tow any 5th wheel weighing over 10000 GVWR but below 15000 GVWR.

I spent several weeks crunching numbers, researching forums, and tried to justify it in my mind that my truck was going to be just fine for the trailer we have. We have planned about a 4 week trip this summer into Oregon, Washington, Montana and back. While I knew I would not likely have an issue in California, I wasn't sure about the other states, and I didn't want that worry in the back of my mind, and I also didn't want to have the worry about any civil/legal issues if something were to happen.

Yes there is the belief the 10000 GVWR is an arbitrary limit for various reasons; yes, a lot of the components on the 2500 are the same as the 3500SWR, but in the end, in my mind it just wasn't worth the worry or concern about the "what-ifs". And I knew that NONE of the internet lawyers we see all over the various forums were going to offer their services and be willing to testify on my behalf as to how my truck, being ~1000 pounds overweight (legal limits) was not a factor if something was deemed to be my fault.

I remedied my concern at the end of March when I traded in my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 QC SB Laramie Granite Crystal (I loved that truck) for a 2017 3500 DRW CTD 4x4 QC LB Laramie in Pearl White. Luckily I had significant equity in my truck that I was able to swing the deal, and my payment didn't change... I now don't won't have that worry when we're on our trip, and in the future, when we upgrade to a larger 5r, I'll already have the truck.

Do yourself a big favor, research the snot out of weights (both trucks and trailers) know your facts, percentages and figures when you go in. When you look at trucks, ask to see the door stickers. When I looked, I didnt look at the FMVSS sticker, I looked at the white/yellow payload sticker. I already knew the truck GVWR, my hitch weight, and how much my prior truck weighed. The truck I have now has a dry payload of 5650 (3600 more than the other truck?!)

Your research and figuring numbers will pay off now if your get the right truck to start, instead of wondering while on a long trip if the red and blue lights you see in your mirror may result in an overweight citation, or sitting parked on the shoulder dumping water from your holding tank...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...are_pid=234546

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

And those numbers all reflect "best advertising practices" with model year changes that affect vehicle weight, different rear axle configurations, different standards on which the ratings were established (SAE vs corporate ratings, etc). At any rate, it doesn't much matter what ratings a 2013 has if you own a 2012 vehicle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
gui272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Here's what I wrote in a thread, related to your situation.... been there too.

Having received a lot of good, helpful info here i was in a similar dilemma, heres a post i wrote for another forum, which ~may~ help. This is just my situation...

I was in a very similar situation, heres my story. Im going to throw a bunch of numbers out, but these are my real world numbers with a few approximates.

Prior TV 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD QC SB (GVWR 10k, front axle 6000, rear axle 6500, *** PAYLOAD sticker 2050*** passengers and cargo)

Purchased a 2016 Cougar 5th wheel GVWR 12050,

Because of the short box, I needed a slider ~250 pounds

On the way to pick up the 5r, I stopped at a CAT scale and weighed my truck: myself, my dad, full fuels and NOTHING else 8400 (front 5140, rear 3260) GVWR 10000 - 8400 = ***1600 available payload (reference the payload sticker info above)

Picked up the hitch, and 5r and stopped at the same CAT scale on the way home, filled up with fuel, and reweighed: myself, dad, hitch and EMPTY 5r (except dealer included things like batteries, propane, power cord, and the items the 5r came equipped with) total weight 19440 (front 5180 +40 pounds, ***rear 5540 +2280 pounds*** ~250 pounds of that is hitch weight, leaving ~1980 as pin weight, trailer axle 8720, so subtracting my original truck weight plus the hitch from the final scale ticket, put the 5r DRY weight as picked up from dealer at about 10790, figuring the universal pin weight ratios of anywhere between 20 and 25%

Now if you were to load the a 5r to its full GCWR (12050 in my case) 20% pin is 2410, and 25% pin is 3012.

Now add a 250 hitch, your 125 DW, a 180 pounds of kiddos, the Chihuahua, all your fuel, firewood, and anything else you want to take and you can see how it QUICKY puts you *legally* over weight... Remember the payload sticker earlier?? The EMPTY truck can *legally* carry only 2050 pounds BEFORE passengers, cargo hitch etc. (loaded trailer 20% pin 2410+250+125+180+200(misc stuff in the bed) = 3160 - 2050 = 1115 OVERWEIGHT

Did the truck sag when I hooked the dry trailer up? it dropped about 2", no big deal and it towed great from the dealer to home, then a few days later home to where its currently parked.

Was I still within the axel and tire limits? Yes. Could/did my truck *safely* pull the extra weight? Ye. Would I have never had an enforcement issue, or situation where being overweight could have put me in civil liability? Maybe.

I do work for an enforcement entity and YES you CAN be parked for being overweight and would have to make arraignments to get below your weight. In a real world scenario, would that actually happen, probably not, at least not in California, however, other states may be different. Also, not to detract from the purpose of this thread, in California, unless you have a class A (commercial) license, you DO need to get an RV endorsement to tow any 5th wheel weighing over 10000 GVWR but below 15000 GVWR.

I spent several weeks crunching numbers, researching forums, and tried to justify it in my mind that my truck was going to be just fine for the trailer we have. We have planned about a 4 week trip this summer into Oregon, Washington, Montana and back. While I knew I would not likely have an issue in California, I wasn't sure about the other states, and I didn't want that worry in the back of my mind, and I also didn't want to have the worry about any civil/legal issues if something were to happen.

Yes there is the belief the 10000 GVWR is an arbitrary limit for various reasons; yes, a lot of the components on the 2500 are the same as the 3500SWR, but in the end, in my mind it just wasn't worth the worry or concern about the "what-ifs". And I knew that NONE of the internet lawyers we see all over the various forums were going to offer their services and be willing to testify on my behalf as to how my truck, being ~1000 pounds overweight (legal limits) was not a factor if something was deemed to be my fault.

I remedied my concern at the end of March when I traded in my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 QC SB Laramie Granite Crystal (I loved that truck) for a 2017 3500 DRW CTD 4x4 QC LB Laramie in Pearl White. Luckily I had significant equity in my truck that I was able to swing the deal, and my payment didn't change... I now don't won't have that worry when we're on our trip, and in the future, when we upgrade to a larger 5r, I'll already have the truck.

Do yourself a big favor, research the snot out of weights (both trucks and trailers) know your facts, percentages and figures when you go in. When you look at trucks, ask to see the door stickers. When I looked, I didnt look at the FMVSS sticker, I looked at the white/yellow payload sticker. I already knew the truck GVWR, my hitch weight, and how much my prior truck weighed. The truck I have now has a dry payload of 5650 (3600 more than the other truck?!)

Your research and figuring numbers will pay off now if your get the right truck to start, instead of wondering while on a long trip if the red and blue lights you see in your mirror may result in an overweight citation, or sitting parked on the shoulder dumping water from your holding tank...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...are_pid=234546

Very good information. Unfortunately I just got the truck. I really don't want a dually for my daily driver. We do plan on doing some serious driving though with the RV.

Maybe I'll have to travel dry and put some weight behind the trailer axle to keep the pin weight down.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Very good information. Unfortunately I just got the truck. I really don't want a dually for my daily driver. We do plan on doing some serious driving though with the RV.

Maybe I'll have to travel dry and put some weight behind the trailer axle to keep the pin weight down.

Making it "light" on the pin can make for some erratic/dangerous towing behaviors. Did you ever look at the payload on the truck sticker?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
gui272

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Making it "light" on the pin can make for some erratic/dangerous towing behaviors. Did you ever look at the payload on the truck sticker?
Yes, looked at payload of truck sticker. RV came up after I got the truck or I would have looked for a 3500 srw truck.

By light I'm saying 20% instead of 25% to keep some weight off it.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #16
Javi

Quote:

Good luck... that's about all anyone can say at this point...
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, at this point, you're pretty much faced with a choice:

1. Buy that fifth wheel with the knowledge that you're going to be towing over the "legal payload" of your truck... or

2. Don't buy that fifth wheel and start looking for something that is light enough/small enough to tow within the "legal payload" of your truck.

I'd say that the combination, your current truck and that fifth wheel simply won't fit within what Chrysler established as ratings for your truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
Tbos

There are most likely some used rigs out there you would like that will be within your legal limits. Hope it all works out for you and you have safe and enjoyable travels.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
I have a 2012 6.7 G56 quad cab short bed big Horn

I'm looking at this 5th wheel camper. What are your thoughts as far as weights?

9,260 empty
12,260 loaded
Rear entertainment center
Front king bed slide
Rear slide
Have super slide hitch for it

Nice TV, and Nice 5er, now you need to make a decision that only you can make. Do you want to and feel safe towing over the TV stated GVWR. Your 2012 Ram likely doesn't even have a 10,000# GVWR, likely 9,200# or maybe 9,600# before 2013 Ram was very conservative with their GVWR.
Yep, that 2500, and a 3500 SRW pretty much same same.

I will tell you this is not a recommendation, but it is what works for me.
2001 Ram 2500 with Tow and Camper Packages,
5,200# front GAWR
6,082# rear GAWR (based of standard 245/75-16 E @ 3,042# ea.)
Optional 265/75-16E tires and rims rated at 3,415# ea.
I carry/tow a 2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS at 9,820# Dry, and GVWR of 12,360# currently at about 11,500#.

I will say well within axle ratings both front and rear, if I felt uncomfortable I would likely step up to a 3500 DRW, as the 3500 SRW is basically the same truck.

FYI:, our 5er is a rear kitchen, so tends to be pin lite, which can contribute to "Chucking" my FW tank is just forward of the front axle, so I usually find the ride smoother, FW tank full.

This is the package loaded other than the camper package just a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks.

These are the type of roads I drive with confidence with this package, at the 55 mph speed limit or better.

Once again it is your choice to tow over GVWR, just make sure you understand what is involved.

Taking cover!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
Bolo4u

I was lucky, and learned my lesson, before it was taught....

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone