Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Patrice

Gps

Been looking at GPS for RV and seems that Garmin has a few but from what I can tell not designed for fifth wheel... Wondering if any of you folks use GPS that are suitable. Did a search and to my surprise could not get any hit.
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
bobbecky

We've used a Magellan RoadMate RV9145LM for close to four years now, and have been very happy with it. A number of times, we thought it should take us in one direction, but went a different way, only to discover that the way we thought we should go had a clearance problem. This model, and there are others, brands and models, that can be programed with your height, length, and width, and this also has Good Sam RV parks also in it. It is also has lifetime map upgrades, so it stays current.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
Dave W

Garmin has three. The RV760LMT, 660 and now the RV770. The 760 is what I'm using and is well suited for the RV'r as far as roads, bridge heights and some hazards. It was phased out for the RV660 though still perfectly good and still available. I don't have personal experience with the 660 beyond looking at it but the screen is substantially smaller. The 770 is new and back to a larger screen.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/135455

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-c518-p1.html

Magellan has at least one though I have never seen one and only have a few experiences with anything by them and it was OK in all cases.

Each brand has a little different way of doing things - with my preference being Garmin after using several versions in our daily drivers and as an RV direction finder so am most familiar how they work but that is not anything negative against Magellan. Whichever, they are still only a guide and really a backup for maps and good driving awareness since not all low overpasses, tight curves and steep hills are not on any device. And any of them can send you in the wrong direction or lengthy detour
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
notanlines

Patrice, the Garmin 760 LMT doesn't fit your needs? The navigator shows America's RV parks and service locations, supports RV-related restrictions in both the U.S. and Canada (customizable by height, weight, length, width). Simply enter your vehicle profile information and it finds routes suitable for your RV. I'm not quite certain how much you expect from a little box on your windshield. There are also a number of other good units from other manufacturers but Garmin usually wins out among RV'ers.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 AM   #5
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We've used a Magellan RoadMate RV9145LM for close to four years now, and have been very happy with it. ... It is also has lifetime map upgrades, so it stays current.
Question: Have you ever had any difficulties updating the maps using Magellan's PC-based software? If so, how did you get the issue resolved?

Thank you.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
Barbell

Although it has been over a year ago, we tried the Garmin 660 and 760 for the RV and found that our old Nuvi worked much better. In RV mode, both the newer Garmins tried to take us on dirt and 4X4 roads when there was a perfectly good 4-lane road ahead. Spent hours with Garmin techs and it did the same with them. It could have been a glitch in the Garmin mapping in our particular area but who knows where else it would do it. Now, we have the new truck with built in GPS and I use the Trucker's atlas to scope out low clearances, etc. Main thing is not to depend on just one device, map, etc.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
ScotnBev

As a newbie to RVing I'll ask a dumb question, why not use Google maps on a smart phone? My phones display is 5-1/4", Google maps includes sattelight views, is free, and updated regularly without having to update the app. I find that Google directions are very accurate, to the point of telling you which lane to be on multi-lane off ramps and left turn lanes. And it sends alternate routes if traffic is a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
TrailerSafe BD3 hitch

ScotnBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
bobbecky

ShacterShack, I just updated the map software a couple days ago, and other than it being a slow process, it worked. I try check a couple times a year, but I think they only update once a year. I use the Magellan Content Manager on my PC.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
bobbecky

ScotnBev, I find that the GPS system that relies on a satellite system is much more reliable, because when out of range of cell towers, you still get service on the GPS, but not your phone. We've also experienced some really bad directions when using a phone, and if using an RV GPS, you have the advantage of getting directions to keep you away from clearance issues.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Rick

I have the Garmin 760. Been disappointed in Garmin lately. Right now there's a glitch in my model (possibly all their RV/Trucking models) where it doesn't show 55mph max speed while towing in CA while in RV mode. Might be applicable to other states where there's a dedicated towing speed. They're aware and working on it.

As to using a smartphone, they're great but apps eat data, which you pay for. If your plan has unlimited data, no problem. If you lose connectivity because of a bad cell area, your navigation just died. On the flip side, with a gps if you're in a heavily forested area you can lose the satellites. No navigation.

What works for one person, doesn't work for another. As been said before, all the GPS's work...it's just that each brand has its quirks. There's no one perfect system. You have to read reviews and weigh the options. 2x to what Barbell wrote.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
ShacterShack, I just updated the map software a couple days ago, and other than it being a slow process, it worked. I try check a couple times a year, but I think they only update once a year. I use the Magellan Content Manager on my PC.
Bobbecky, I asked as I have owned two Magellan GPSs (auto models) and the update process always seems to have its little challenges. This last time something burped and the GPS is no longer usable; troubleshooting with Magellan tech support has not yielded a functional device. I like and am quite familiar with the Magellan approach to their GPS operational software, but was hesitant to proceed with a new RV-based model due to my experiences with updating. With your success maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your feedback.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
ScotnBev

Thanks for the kind replies. I wasn't aware of an "RV mode" or RV specific GPS models, I'll have to look into that.

Just to clarify, the smart phone only needs the cell connection to down load map data to memory, so get the route all set while still in camp before leaving. From that point on the GPS radio in the phone tracks your progress on the map - just don't stop the app or turn your phone off! And yes, you won't get the traffic updates and the like with no data connection. For full disclosure I have Samsung Note-7 on T-Mobile family plan.

@Rick, so true, what works for one....especially when it comes to technology. Its not even what works best, but what set of headaches can I handle best.
TrailerSafe BD3 hitch

ScotnBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
NorskeBob

Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT- didn't think a "RV" GPS would be worth it. I used to use a Garmin Zumu 450 (used on my motorcycle and truck)

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Pull Toy

Magellan 15+ years now...

Great product, great customer service, reliable as h^ll!

Like BOBBECKY, "We've used a Magellan RoadMate RV9145LM for close to four years now, and have been very happy with it." It is dual mode (Pulling vs, Auto. Plus criteria like height, total length, Haz-Mat, etc... Smarter than me, it really does know the best route

Go to http://www.magellangps.com/Vehicle-Navigation then check out "Referbs". Excellent value, no prob's, good support.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
Craigidyllwild

Smart phones don't update once you put in your destination. We were using it to navigate in an urban area...something did not feel right....so I put in the destination again and it sent me on a much faster route...if I had not updated I would have been stuck in heavy traffic.
Craigidyllwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #16
Desert185

Waze works really well for traffic notifications, but one has to be careful when towing and the app routes you on an alternate route.

I often use my iPhone for directions, too. I like the audio directions when I'm in a "spaghetti bowl" freeway maze and I need to make the correct turn/merge.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote