Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Tikitim

Raise hitch or lower Pinbox

Just wondering what would be better, bringing up the level of 5th wheel or lowering the pinbox? I had a 2011 Siverado 2500 with bed height of 37 inches from ground now I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 which is 35 inches from ground. I have a Curt Q20 slider which at the moment is set at it's lowest, pinbox also has a lot more adjustment.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Frank G

I am thinking I would raise the hitch up one notch. If I remember correctly this would raise the hitch 1 1/2 inches. On My Curt hitch the 4 bolts torque to 75 ft lbs. Check your instructions.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
WaltBennett

I'd also raise the hitch. Think about trying to support the pin box with all the bolts out . .

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
bsmith0404

It doesn't matter which way you do it, the end result is the same, but as already mentioned, the hitch is much easier to deal with.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
I'd also raise the hitch. Think about trying to support the pin box with all the bolts out . .
Well you don't need to remove ALL the bolts to move the pin box! I raised mine (4 bolts) by loosening all four bolts, then carefully lowered pin to just touch my lowered tailgate. Then removed the front two bolts and continued lowering the 5er watching for the front holes to line up with the next higher set on the frame (be careful to be sure the front cap doesn't hit the bed rails).
Then put back in the front bolts loosely. Then remove the rear bolts and raise the 5er until the back holes line up with the next set, you may need to push down on the front of the pin box to get the back to line up. Once at the desired level tighten all bolts to torque specs.
The tolerances on the holes is not so tight that the bolts won't go in one level off.

That is how I raised my pin box by myself.

Just wondering why the step down from a 2500 to a 1500??
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated above, raise the hitch or lower the pinbox, both result in the same end result... The only considerations (2) that I would point out are:

1. If you have a tonneau cover, you'll need to not raise the hitch higher than the cover or you'll interfere with your tonneau.

2. Raising the hitch can add "lateral stress" to the hitch assembly. The higher it sits on the legs, the more stress you'll be "levering" on the legs. The lower the hitch sits in the truck, the less "leverage" you'll be putting on the steel. Granted, the hitch (all hitches) are rated to support the amount of weight/lateral stress at any of the hitch height positions, so it's not a "danger". But, the lower the hitch, the less stress you put on the legs that support it. (Think bending a nail that's sticking out of a board. If you push the end of the nail, it'll bend easier than if you push the nail at the point where it comes through the board)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Tikitim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well you don't need to remove ALL the bolts to move the pin box! I raised mine (4 bolts) by loosening all four bolts, then carefully lowered pin to just touch my lowered tailgate. Then removed the front two bolts and continued lowering the 5er watching for the front holes to line up with the next higher set on the frame (be careful to be sure the front cap doesn't hit the bed rails).
Then put back in the front bolts loosely. Then remove the rear bolts and raise the 5er until the back holes line up with the next set, you may need to push down on the front of the pin box to get the back to line up. Once at the desired level tighten all bolts to torque specs.
The tolerances on the holes is not so tight that the bolts won't go in one level off.

That is how I raised my pin box by myself.

Just wondering why the step down from a 2500 to a 1500??
Definitely looked at 2500, but could only get 4:10 rear end, This was the single factor that made me get a 1500, When I ordered my 2011 I could chose between 6 rear ends, now only 2 choices, 4:10 gas, 3:43 dieseland not interchangeable, I would be passing everything but gas stations. I know we don't buy these things for their gas millage but for the ratio of towing and not towing a 4:10 rear end would mean having shares in Sunoco. GM just looking to keep their tow ratings high. Automotive engineers should look at 2 speed rear ends and make everybody happy. New truck has adequate capacity (12000 lbs) to tow our light weight 5er.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch